Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Home Network What To Avoid

Home Network What To Avoid

=?Utf-8?B?Umljaw==?=

Before i get in to too deep I have some basic questions regarding home
networking.
I have 4 computers 2 desktops with XP Home 2 laptops with XP Home all four
have SP2. I also have 2 printers a Lexmark6170 and an HP Laserjet5. My ISP is
earthlink and I connect with a adsl modem. The modem connects to a 2 wire
home portal. I want to set up a wireless network, should I use a router to
accomplish this and if so can I eliminate the home portal?
I have more simple questions but I 'll ask tem in my next post.
Thanks
--
Rick

ANONYMOUS

you can get ADSL modem with router such as ADSL2+ Modem with High-Speed
Mode Wireless-G Router

http://tinyurl.com/dxtyg

Or US Robotics: http://tinyurl.com/cjg8a

You will not need anything else. Has all the systems got Wireless
adaptors usb or PCI based?

hth

Rick wrote:

> Before i get in to too deep I have some basic questions regarding home
> networking.
> I have 4 computers 2 desktops with XP Home 2 laptops with XP Home all four
> have SP2. I also have 2 printers a Lexmark6170 and an HP Laserjet5. My ISP is
> earthlink and I connect with a adsl modem. The modem connects to a 2 wire
> home portal. I want to set up a wireless network, should I use a router to
> accomplish this and if so can I eliminate the home portal?
> I have more simple questions but I 'll ask tem in my next post.
> Thanks
> --
> Rick

TW

Since you already have an ADSL modem( this is actually a router but people
are used to modems so that's what they call it) there is no need to replace
it.

You say your modem connects to a 2 wire home portal( I assume this is a two
port hub or switch). I am also assuming that your computers are wired to
this portal.

You say you just want to ADD wireless to your network.

If this were me I would replace the portal with a wireless router. These
usually have four wired ports and are fairly cheap. This option will give
you wireless connections AND four wired connections to your network.

Post back with any other questions.
TW

"ANONYMOUS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> you can get ADSL modem with router such as ADSL2+ Modem with High-Speed
> Mode Wireless-G Router
>
> http://tinyurl.com/dxtyg
>
> Or US Robotics: http://tinyurl.com/cjg8a
>
> You will not need anything else. Has all the systems got Wireless
> adaptors usb or PCI based?
>
> hth
>

> Rick wrote:
>>
>> Before i get in to too deep I have some basic questions regarding home
>> networking.
>> I have 4 computers 2 desktops with XP Home 2 laptops with XP Home all
>> four
>> have SP2. I also have 2 printers a Lexmark6170 and an HP Laserjet5. My
>> ISP is
>> earthlink and I connect with a adsl modem. The modem connects to a 2 wire
>> home portal. I want to set up a wireless network, should I use a router
>> accomplish this and if so can I eliminate the home portal?
>> I have more simple questions but I 'll ask tem in my next post.
>> Thanks
>> --
>> Rick

Lem

TW wrote:

> Since you already have an ADSL modem( this is actually a router but people
> are used to modems so that's what they call it) there is no need to replace
> it.
>
> You say your modem connects to a 2 wire home portal( I assume this is a two
> port hub or switch). I am also assuming that your computers are wired to
> this portal.
>
> You say you just want to ADD wireless to your network.
>
> If this were me I would replace the portal with a wireless router. These
> usually have four wired ports and are fairly cheap. This option will give
> you wireless connections AND four wired connections to your network.
>
> Post back with any other questions.
> TW
>
> "ANONYMOUS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >

> > you can get ADSL modem with router such as ADSL2+ Modem with High-Speed
> > Mode Wireless-G Router
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/dxtyg
> >
> > Or US Robotics: http://tinyurl.com/cjg8a
> >
> > You will not need anything else. Has all the systems got Wireless
> > adaptors usb or PCI based?
> >
> > hth
> >

> > Rick wrote:
> >>
> >> Before i get in to too deep I have some basic questions regarding home
> >> networking.
> >> I have 4 computers 2 desktops with XP Home 2 laptops with XP Home all
> >> four
> >> have SP2. I also have 2 printers a Lexmark6170 and an HP Laserjet5. My
> >> ISP is
> >> earthlink and I connect with a adsl modem. The modem connects to a 2 wire
> >> home portal. I want to set up a wireless network, should I use a router
> >> accomplish this and if so can I eliminate the home portal?
> >> I have more simple questions but I 'll ask tem in my next post.
> >> Thanks
> >> --
> >> Rick

Not all DSL modems are functioning routers, although many of them that are
supplied these days by ISPs like Earthlink are. Some earlier DSL modems are
hard-configured as bridges. Earthlink UDP DSL modems come configured as routers
by default but can be reconfigured as bridges for use with a typical wireless
router.

"2wire home portal" is a brand name. Most include a DSL "modem" and a 1 to 4
port router. Some also include wireless capability. A setup that includes BOTH
an "adsl modem" AND a "2 wire home portal" is possible, but peculiar.

To get the best advice, the OP should repost with the particular model numbers
of his equipment. Also know that both Earthlink and 2wire have pretty good
knowledge bases that cover how to configure their products.