Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Bluetooth and Windows 2000

Bluetooth and Windows 2000

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hpdG93bmJhYnM=?=

I have Win 2000 at work and I need to know if Bluetooth will work with it? I
need a driver for an Olympia Bluetooth USB Dongle and I seem to not be able
to find it. I have a Motorola V600 Bluetooth cell and I need to transfer my
pics to the computer then back to my replacement phone.

Can anyone help me?

Steve Riley [MSFT]

Unlike XP SP 2, there's no native Bluetooth support in Windows 2000. You'll
need drivers. Have you contacted Olympia?

If all else fails, you could get yourself one of http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mo...s.aspx?pid=032.
Its dongle works with just about anything, it works in Windos 2000, and it's
a really neat mouse, too.

Steve Riley

> I have Win 2000 at work and I need to know if Bluetooth will work with
> it? I need a driver for an Olympia Bluetooth USB Dongle and I seem to
> not be able to find it. I have a Motorola V600 Bluetooth cell and I
> need to transfer my pics to the computer then back to my replacement
> phone.
>
> Can anyone help me?

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hpdG93bmJhYnM=?=

No they have not answered me yet. I did download a Bluetooth program from
Targus but it tells me that it does not have a license for the bluetooth
device.
Isn't there a general Bluetooth device driver or are they particular to that
product?

"Steve Riley [MSFT]" wrote:

> Unlike XP SP 2, there's no native Bluetooth support in Windows 2000. You'll
> need drivers. Have you contacted Olympia?
>
> If all else fails, you could get yourself one of http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mo...s.aspx?pid=032.
> Its dongle works with just about anything, it works in Windos 2000, and it's
> a really neat mouse, too.
>
> Steve Riley
> (E-Mail Removed)
>

> > I have Win 2000 at work and I need to know if Bluetooth will work with
> > it? I need a driver for an Olympia Bluetooth USB Dongle and I seem to
> > not be able to find it. I have a Motorola V600 Bluetooth cell and I
> > need to transfer my pics to the computer then back to my replacement
> > phone.
> >
> > Can anyone help me?

Steve Riley [MSFT]

The drivers in XP are generic.

Drivers for other products are almost always device-specific.

Steve Riley
(E-Mail Removed)

> No they have not answered me yet. I did download a Bluetooth program
> from Targus but it tells me that it does not have a license for the
> bluetooth device. Isn't there a general Bluetooth device driver or are
> they particular to that product?
>
> "Steve Riley [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> Unlike XP SP 2, there's no native Bluetooth support in Windows 2000.
>> You'll need drivers. Have you contacted Olympia?
>>
>> If all else fails, you could get yourself one of
>> http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mo...uctdetails.asp
>> x?pid=032. Its dongle works with just about anything, it works in
>> Windos 2000, and it's a really neat mouse, too.
>>
>> Steve Riley
>> (E-Mail Removed)
>>> I have Win 2000 at work and I need to know if Bluetooth will work
>>> with it? I need a driver for an Olympia Bluetooth USB Dongle and I
>>> seem to not be able to find it. I have a Motorola V600 Bluetooth
>>> cell and I need to transfer my pics to the computer then back to my
>>> replacement phone.
>>>
>>> Can anyone help me?

=?Utf-8?B?UGF2ZWwgQS4=?=

"Chitownbabs" wrote:
> No they have not answered me yet. I did download a Bluetooth program from
> Targus but it tells me that it does not have a license for the bluetooth
> device.
> Isn't there a general Bluetooth device driver or are they particular to that
> product?

Most probably this dongle will work with the generic Widcomm driver.
But drivers distributed via OEMs are locked by something hardware specific
(MAC address or whatever these chips have) so you can't use software from
other OEM.
Keep trying your vendor, or buy other dongle.
Or upgrade to XP.