Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > DOES MS-WORD ONLY COST $25 ?

DOES MS-WORD ONLY COST $25 ?

Writabook

I have a 3 year old Compaq computer running Windows XP.
3 GB processor, 512 memory, 160 GB HD.

I'm writing a book about Golf and I need MS-WORD but
I don't need MS-OFFICE (which costs $300)

Microsoft sells a "stand alone" single CD disc copy of
MS-WORD. This vendor is selling it for $25 (new in
the box):
http://www.etech4sale.com/Microsoft_...id-161427.html

If I buy this and simply load it into my CD drive, can I write my
book about Golf using it?

Or is the bad news that it WON'T RUN unless you are
running the $300 copy of MS-OFFICE also ??

Is $25 for MS-WORD too good to be true, or is there
a catch...... ??

Thanks in advance, Writabook

Writabook

"Writabook" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>I have a 3 year old Compaq computer running Windows XP.
> 3 GB processor, 512 memory, 160 GB HD.
>
> I'm writing a book about Golf and I need MS-WORD but
> I don't need MS-OFFICE (which costs $300)
>
> Microsoft sells a "stand alone" single CD disc copy of
> MS-WORD. This vendor is selling it for $25 (new in
> the box):
>
> http://www.etech4sale.com/Microsoft_...id-161427.html
>
> If I buy this and simply load it into my CD drive, can I write my
> book about Golf using it?
>
> Or is the bad news that it WON'T RUN unless you are
> running the $300 copy of MS-OFFICE also ??
>
> Is $25 for MS-WORD too good to be true, or is there
> a catch...... ??
>
> Thanks in advance, Writabook

Oops, the above is the Norwegian version, here is the English
version for the same price:
http://www.etech4sale.com/Microsoft_...id-205722.html
this one says "no license" on it, does that mean it's illegal and
Windows probably won't allow it to run?
Desperately, Writabook

Paul

Writabook wrote:
> "Writabook" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> I have a 3 year old Compaq computer running Windows XP.
>> 3 GB processor, 512 memory, 160 GB HD.
>>
>> I'm writing a book about Golf and I need MS-WORD but
>> I don't need MS-OFFICE (which costs $300)
>>
>> Microsoft sells a "stand alone" single CD disc copy of
>> MS-WORD. This vendor is selling it for $25 (new in
>> the box):
>>
>> http://www.etech4sale.com/Microsoft_...id-161427.html
>>
>> If I buy this and simply load it into my CD drive, can I write my
>> book about Golf using it?
>>
>> Or is the bad news that it WON'T RUN unless you are
>> running the $300 copy of MS-OFFICE also ??
>>
>> Is $25 for MS-WORD too good to be true, or is there
>> a catch...... ??
>>
>> Thanks in advance, Writabook
>>

> Oops, the above is the Norwegian version, here is the English
> version for the same price:
> http://www.etech4sale.com/Microsoft_...id-205722.html
> this one says "no license" on it, does that mean it's illegal and
> Windows probably won't allow it to run?
> Desperately, Writabook

Have you tried Openoffice ? It contains a lot of the same kinds
of tools as Microsoft Office, but is free. The Windows version is
a total of 119MB download.

http://download.openoffice.org/index.html
http://download.openoffice.org/2.3.0...focus=download

You can see a couple sample screenshots of the "Writer" tool here.

http://cc.uoregon.edu/cnews/winter2006/openoffice.htm

Paul

Baron

Writabook wrote:

> I have a 3 year old Compaq computer running Windows XP.
> 3 GB processor, 512 memory, 160 GB HD.
>
> I'm writing a book about Golf and I need MS-WORD but
> I don't need MS-OFFICE (which costs $300)
>
> Microsoft sells a "stand alone" single CD disc copy of
> MS-WORD. This vendor is selling it for $25 (new in
> the box):

http://www.etech4sale.com/Microsoft_...id-161427.html

> If I buy this and simply load it into my CD drive, can I write my
> book about Golf using it?
>
> Or is the bad news that it WON'T RUN unless you are
> running the $300 copy of MS-OFFICE also ??
>
> Is $25 for MS-WORD too good to be true, or is there
> a catch...... ??
>
> Thanks in advance, Writabook

Just go to "www.openoffice.org" and download a full featured program
for free !

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Neil Green

> "Writabook" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>I have a 3 year old Compaq computer running Windows
>>XP.
>> 3 GB processor, 512 memory, 160 GB HD.
>>
>> I'm writing a book about Golf and I need MS-WORD
>> but
>> I don't need MS-OFFICE (which costs $300)
>>
>> Microsoft sells a "stand alone" single CD disc copy
>> of
>> MS-WORD. This vendor is selling it for $25 (new in
>> the box):
>>
>> http://www.etech4sale.com/Microsoft_...id-161427.html
>>
>> If I buy this and simply load it into my CD drive,
>> can I write my
>> book about Golf using it?
>>
>> Or is the bad news that it WON'T RUN unless you are
>> running the $300 copy of MS-OFFICE also ??
>>
>> Is $25 for MS-WORD too good to be true, or is there
>> a catch...... ??
>>
>> Thanks in advance, Writabook
>>

> Oops, the above is the Norwegian version, here is
> the English
> version for the same price:
>
> http://www.etech4sale.com/Microsoft_...id-205722.html
> this one says "no license" on it, does that mean
> it's illegal and
> Windows probably won't allow it to run?
> Desperately, Writabook

No.
It will work fine.
Pay the money, join the MS Office conga line, suck it
up.
Or use Openoffice for free.
Your call.

Paul

Writabook wrote:
> "Writabook" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> I have a 3 year old Compaq computer running Windows XP.
>> 3 GB processor, 512 memory, 160 GB HD.
>>
>> I'm writing a book about Golf and I need MS-WORD but
>> I don't need MS-OFFICE (which costs $300)
>>
>> Microsoft sells a "stand alone" single CD disc copy of
>> MS-WORD. This vendor is selling it for $25 (new in
>> the box):
>>
>> http://www.etech4sale.com/Microsoft_...id-161427.html
>>
>> If I buy this and simply load it into my CD drive, can I write my
>> book about Golf using it?
>>
>> Or is the bad news that it WON'T RUN unless you are
>> running the $300 copy of MS-OFFICE also ??
>>
>> Is $25 for MS-WORD too good to be true, or is there
>> a catch...... ??
>>
>> Thanks in advance, Writabook
>>

> Oops, the above is the Norwegian version, here is the English
> version for the same price:
> http://www.etech4sale.com/Microsoft_...id-205722.html
> this one says "no license" on it, does that mean it's illegal and
> Windows probably won't allow it to run?
> Desperately, Writabook

It is possible to buy a Windows CD, then obtain a license from Microsoft
as a separate $$$ step. The CD you are buying, just has the software
on it, but not the license. Things like volume licensing, separate
the media from the license keys. That is why you see things like
that for sale. The implication is not "something for nothing" -
it just means you still have an expensive $$$ step to complete
the legal install of the software. Without a license key from
Microsoft, that CD is legally useless.

The reason OpenOffice is suggested, is it sounds like you want a
bargain, and what better than a free tool, for the cost of
the time to download it ?

Paul

Paul

Paul wrote:

> It is possible to buy a Windows CD, then obtain a license from Microsoft

That should have been an "Office CD".

Paul

Bryan

"Writabook" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>I have a 3 year old Compaq computer running Windows XP.
> 3 GB processor, 512 memory, 160 GB HD.
>
> I'm writing a book about Golf and I need MS-WORD but
> I don't need MS-OFFICE (which costs $300)
>
> Microsoft sells a "stand alone" single CD disc copy of
> MS-WORD. This vendor is selling it for $25 (new in
> the box):
>
> http://www.etech4sale.com/Microsoft_...id-161427.html
>
> If I buy this and simply load it into my CD drive, can I write my
> book about Golf using it?
>
> Or is the bad news that it WON'T RUN unless you are
> running the $300 copy of MS-OFFICE also ??
>
> Is $25 for MS-WORD too good to be true, or is there
> a catch...... ??
>
> Thanks in advance, Writabook

if you have to have MS Word then it is included in MS Works suite which is
considerably cheaper than MS Office and should be available on Ebay etc even
cheaper.

Pen

Writabook wrote:
> I have a 3 year old Compaq computer running Windows XP.
> 3 GB processor, 512 memory, 160 GB HD.
>
> I'm writing a book about Golf and I need MS-WORD but
> I don't need MS-OFFICE (which costs $300)
>
> Microsoft sells a "stand alone" single CD disc copy of
> MS-WORD. This vendor is selling it for $25 (new in
> the box):
> http://www.etech4sale.com/Microsoft_...id-161427.html
>
> If I buy this and simply load it into my CD drive, can I write my
> book about Golf using it?
>
> Or is the bad news that it WON'T RUN unless you are
> running the $300 copy of MS-OFFICE also ??
>
> Is $25 for MS-WORD too good to be true, or is there
> a catch...... ??
>
> Thanks in advance, Writabook

If you really want MS Word then your best deal is Word 2000 for $20
here; it comes with a COA. This is legit, but Open Office is still the
best deal.
http://www.dirtcheapsoftware.com/miwo20fuoem.html

Writabook

"Pen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Writabook wrote:
>> I have a 3 year old Compaq computer running Windows XP.
>> 3 GB processor, 512 memory, 160 GB HD.
>>
>> I'm writing a book about Golf and I need MS-WORD but
>> I don't need MS-OFFICE (which costs $300)
>>
>> Microsoft sells a "stand alone" single CD disc copy of
>> MS-WORD. This vendor is selling it for $25 (new in
>> the box):
>>
>> http://www.etech4sale.com/Microsoft_...id-205722.html
>>
>> If I buy this and simply load it into my CD drive, can I write my
>> book about Golf using it?
>>
>> Or is the bad news that it WON'T RUN unless you are
>> running the $300 copy of MS-OFFICE also ??
>>
>> Is $25 for MS-WORD too good to be true, or is there
>> a catch...... ??
>>
>> Thanks in advance, Writabook
>>

> If you really want MS Word then your best deal is Word 2000 for $20 here;
> it comes with a COA. This is legit, but Open Office is still the best
> deal.
> http://www.dirtcheapsoftware.com/miwo20fuoem.html

I have to upload this book to a "print on demand" publisher and
they specify MS-WORD ONLY format, so I can't use
OpenOffice!
What is a COA? Does that mean it's licensed?
Why is WORD 2000 a better idea than the unlicensed WORD 03?
Will WORD 2000 work ok on my computer? Isn't that a 16-bit
version rather than a 32-bit version like WORD 03 ?