Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Is there a way to edit/alter a file but leave the 'time' stamp unchanged?

Is there a way to edit/alter a file but leave the 'time' stamp unchanged?

nospam

In article <ff4l11$ft7$(E-Mail Removed)>, Chris <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> nospam wrote:
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Sebastian G.
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> Hm...? The date of a JPG file should never reflect the time you made that
> >> picture, but rather when you copied it to the current storage media.

> > copying a file does not change the time stamp of a file. if it does,
> > that's a huge bug.

> Just to clarify. The time stamp of the original file won't change, but
> the copy will have a new time stamp reflecting when it was created.

then it is not an exact copy, and therefore a bug.

OldSage

wrote:

> nospam wrote:
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Sebastian G.
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Hm...? The date of a JPG file should never reflect the time you made that
> >> picture, but rather when you copied it to the current storage media.

> > copying a file does not change the time stamp of a file. if it does,
> > that's a huge bug.

> Just to clarify. The time stamp of the original file won't change, but
> the copy will have a new time stamp reflecting when it was created.

Or just turn on the "skulduggery" switch (Prefs: date and time)

Rowland McDonnell

nemo_outis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> (Rowland McDonnell) wrote:
>
> > I must say that's quite an impressive pile of wild invention you've
> > managed to create.

> It is not I who has gone beyond what the OP said in his one and only post
> in this thread. He said, verbatim and its entirety:
> ____
>
> Is there anyway to alter a file (i.e. powerpoint/word doc/excel
> spreadsheet) but make it appear that the file was altered on any given
> day (e.g. 1 Jan 2000).
>
> I want to know how to do this on a PC
>
> I am also curious to know if this is possible on a mac (i have a
> copied this to a mac group)
>
> thanks
>
> James
> ____
>
> No mention whatsoever why he might want to do this. No mention of any
> other person. No mention of fraud or any other purpose, good or bad.
> Nope, just a simple question about the mechanics of changing the
> datestamp.

Yup. And by applying my powers of intelligence and deduction, coupled
with my many years experience of people and the things they do, I am in
a position to draw the conclusions I have stated.

> From there it is you who has gone on to surmise, to speculate, to
> conjecture on his motives, to infer his intentions are mischievous, and
> to hector him about fraud and jail.

Erm, nope, none of that.

I read, smelt what the bugger was up to, and said nothing at all until
someone else had made remarks which indicated that he's smelt what I'd
smelt. And then I made mild comment, which made you decide to leap in
to cause an argument because you're a nasty little troll.

You're all worthless scum - worthless, that is, until you've been
composted down and used to grow something worthwhile like cattle feed.

> All this on no evidence whatsoever.
> There's not a word from the OP on why he wants to know.

Obviously you are so stupid you do not understand anything about people
or you would not be making such ridiculous and irrelevant points. Any
fule kno I speaketh the truth about the OP, for reasons which are far
too obvious to mention here. Any any fule kno I did not say what you
claim - after all, you're a troll, so almost all your claims are lies.

Of course, being a good troll, you will pay no attention to any of this,
but I thought I might as well point out the utter logical and moral
worthlessness of your position.

> > Rowland.
> > P.S. The poster who wants to change the time stamp is up to no good...

> Ah, a Hobbesian convinced that all mankind is inherently base.

Ah, another troll making lunatic and baseless assertions. Utter
nonsense, these claims of yours, and nothing but your own malicious
invention.

We all know you trolls are liars and fantasists.

I'm typing this purely for my own entertainment, btw.

[snip]

> Either that or you're just another garden variety moron, who reads what
> isn't there.

That does indeed appear to be how you operate.

Rowland.

--
Remove the animal for email address: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Sorry - the spam got to me

nemo_outis

Only a fool like you would try to elevate persistence in error, wild
speculation, and unjustified and rash conclusions, into logical principles.

You are a fool, and since you are clearly irrevocably and incorrigibly
committed to remaining one, it is pointless to do anything other than
occasionally draw others' attention to your stupidity lest they be misled.

Swat!

Someone Else

In
(E-Mail Removed)gibbet (Rowland McDonnell) wrote:

>I'm typing this purely for my own entertainment, btw.

That's true either now, or pretty soon.

Plonk.