Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Is there a way to edit/alter a file but leave the 'time' stamp unchanged?

Is there a way to edit/alter a file but leave the 'time' stamp unchanged?

james.jobs@yahoo.com

Is there anyway to alter a file (i.e. powerpoint/word doc/excel
spreadsheet) but make it appear that the file was altered on any given
day (e.g. 1 Jan 2000).

I want to know how to do this on a PC

I am also curious to know if this is possible on a mac (i have a
copied this to a mac group)

thanks

James

nemo_outis

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:1192223293.113013.316940
@e9g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

> Is there anyway to alter a file (i.e. powerpoint/word doc/excel
> spreadsheet) but make it appear that the file was altered on any given
> day (e.g. 1 Jan 2000).
>
> I want to know how to do this on a PC

Yes, it is not only possible but easy. There are any number of programs
that will let you change a file or folder's attributes, of which the
date/time is one (or, on NTFS, three: Created, Modified, Last Accessed).
Some of these are free but my personal favorite isn't: Attribute Magic
Pro (there is also a scaled down free version).

Even the free one can change FAT/NTFS timestamps, etc. but the Pro
version can also change *internal* timestamps in Word, Excel, etc.

If you are working with MS Office files there are a number of programs
which manipulate/erase the metadata it stores *internally* which can be a
real embarrassment in some circumstances (just ask Tony Blair!). As a
minimum get the free "Remove Hidden Data" tool from Microsoft itself, but
I recommend getting the non-free "Document Trace Remover" as well.

Regards,

PS Incidentally, one tool I love is Directory Opus which besides being
the premier replacement for Explorer also lets you change file date/time
attributes. One feature I especially LOVE about it is that if you copy
an NTFS folder between drives it will automatically put the old
directory's timestamp on the new one (and it lets you diddle with
created, modified, last accessed, too). This is extremely convenient
when moving whole directory trees (perhaps your music collection?) while
preserving timestamps for sorting, etc..

Steve Hodgson

On 2007-10-12 22:08:13 +0100, (E-Mail Removed) said:

> Is there anyway to alter a file (i.e. powerpoint/word doc/excel
> spreadsheet) but make it appear that the file was altered on any given
> day (e.g. 1 Jan 2000).
>
> I want to know how to do this on a PC

<http://www.jddesign.f2s.com/touchpro.htm>

Used it for a few years now and it is excellent.

> I am also curious to know if this is possible on a mac (i have a
> copied this to a mac group)

As far as I know nothing like TouchPro but it is worth looking at the
Terminal touch command.
--
Cheers,

Steve

The reply-to email address is a spam trap.
Email steve 'at' shodgson 'dot' org 'dot' uk

Unruh

(E-Mail Removed) writes:

>Is there anyway to alter a file (i.e. powerpoint/word doc/excel
>spreadsheet) but make it appear that the file was altered on any given
>day (e.g. 1 Jan 2000).

>I want to know how to do this on a PC

This is operating system dependent, not cpu chip dependent. The answer is
yes. Under linux do
man touch

>I am also curious to know if this is possible on a mac (i have a
>copied this to a mac group)

>thanks

>James

Dr Geoff Hone

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 14:08:13 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Is there anyway to alter a file (i.e. powerpoint/word doc/excel
>spreadsheet) but make it appear that the file was altered on any given
>day (e.g. 1 Jan 2000).
>
>I want to know how to do this on a PC

What about just changing the date setting on the machine, modifying
the file, and then changing the date back.
OR
On any machine with good old fashioned (MS)DOS there should be an
"attrib" command - the syntax can vary.
Geoff

Jolly Roger

On 2007-10-13 08:15:01 -0500, Dr Geoff Hone <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 14:08:13 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> Is there anyway to alter a file (i.e. powerpoint/word doc/excel
>> spreadsheet) but make it appear that the file was altered on any given
>> day (e.g. 1 Jan 2000).
>>
>> I want to know how to do this on a PC

> What about just changing the date setting on the machine, modifying
> the file, and then changing the date back.
> OR
> On any machine with good old fashioned (MS)DOS there should be an
> "attrib" command - the syntax can vary.

You hacker, you. ; )

--
Note: Please send all responses to the relevant news group. If you
absolutely must contact me through e-mail, let me know when you send

Help improve Usenet:

* Learn proper Usenet etiquette:
http://www.dtcc.edu/cs/rfc1855.html

* Kill-file Google Groups:
http://improve-usenet.org/

JR

Sebastian G.

Dr Geoff Hone wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 14:08:13 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> Is there anyway to alter a file (i.e. powerpoint/word doc/excel
>> spreadsheet) but make it appear that the file was altered on any given
>> day (e.g. 1 Jan 2000).
>>
>> I want to know how to do this on a PC

> What about just changing the date setting on the machine, modifying
> the file, and then changing the date back.

Changing the system time typically requires administrative privileges that
he might not own. Yes, even on Unix-like systems the filestamps are derived
from system time and not the per-user time.

> On any machine with good old fashioned (MS)DOS there should be an
> "attrib" command - the syntax can vary.

The "attrib" command changes file attributes, not file timestamps. What
about using "touch" from GnuWin32 or UnxUtils instead? Heck, even in the
Windows Resource Kit you'll find a tool "vfi.exe" which provides the "touch"
functionality.

Simon Slavin

On 12/10/2007, (E-Mail Removed) wrote in message
<(E-Mail Removed). com>:

> Is there anyway to alter a file (i.e. powerpoint/word doc/excel
> spreadsheet) but make it appear that the file was altered on any given
> day (e.g. 1 Jan 2000). [snip]
>
> I am also curious to know if this is possible on a mac (i have a
> copied this to a mac group)

Mac reply: Change the file, let the OS stamp the file, then restamp it
yourself to whatever timestamp your want using the 'touch' command. 'man
touch' for more information.

Simon.
--
http://www.hearsay.demon.co.uk

Steve Firth

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Is there anyway to alter a file (i.e. powerpoint/word doc/excel
> spreadsheet) but make it appear that the file was altered on any given
> day (e.g. 1 Jan 2000).

You can, but then people like me get paid to find out that you have done
it and to prepare notes for the prosecution. So I'd think very carefully
about *why* you would want to do this.

Rowland McDonnell

Simon Slavin <(E-Mail Removed). uk>
wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > Is there anyway to alter a file (i.e. powerpoint/word doc/excel
> > spreadsheet) but make it appear that the file was altered on any given
> > day (e.g. 1 Jan 2000). [snip]
> >
> > I am also curious to know if this is possible on a mac (i have a
> > copied this to a mac group)

> Mac reply: Change the file, let the OS stamp the file, then restamp it
> yourself to whatever timestamp your want using the 'touch' command. 'man
> touch' for more information.

There are any number of file utilities that'll do the job the GUI way,
too.

But if I were you, I'd think about what Steve Firth had to say. For
once, he's made a post that is worth paying very careful attention to.

The OP is clearly wanting to perpetrate some sort of fraud - the way the
question was asked shows that, I reckon. But just 'cos you can change
the time stamp doesn't mean you won't be caught out.

Best to be honest unless you're very clever and devious; or enjoy bad
food seasoned with the bodily fluids of prison wardens.

Rowland.

--
Remove the animal for email address: (E-Mail Removed)
Sorry - the spam got to me