Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Fritzbox7140 : Unreliable router to computer connection

Fritzbox7140 : Unreliable router to computer connection

Brian A

Has anyone experienced any problems with computer/router connection to
the Fritzbox? I didn't get any problems with my old router. With the
Fritzbox I find that when I boot up the computer, more often than not,
there is no connection to the router. I have to unplug and reconnect
the supply to the Fritzbox to get it to get a connection.
Originally I did have the computer set to work with DHCP but then I
set up a specific IP for the computer. It seemed to be marginally more
reliable but it has steadily got worse.
Any suggestions to solve this problem?
---
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Get your friends to sign too!
TV.
---

Herman

"Brian A" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Has anyone experienced any problems with computer/router connection to
> the Fritzbox? I didn't get any problems with my old router. With the
> Fritzbox I find that when I boot up the computer, more often than not,
> there is no connection to the router. I have to unplug and reconnect
> the supply to the Fritzbox to get it to get a connection.
> Originally I did have the computer set to work with DHCP but then I
> set up a specific IP for the computer. It seemed to be marginally more
> reliable but it has steadily got worse.
> Any suggestions to solve this problem?
> ---
> Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
>
> Sign the petition to get High Definition TV via Freeview.
> Get your friends to sign too!
> Ofcom want to auction off the spectrum needed for Hi Def.
> TV.
> http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/High-Definition/

Wired or wireless?

I have a wired connection to a 7050 which is very dependable. I didn't find
wireless to be so good but then there are many factors which influence that
(including the computer being near a big radiator!)

alexd

Brian A wrote:

> Has anyone experienced any problems with computer/router connection to
> the Fritzbox? I didn't get any problems with my old router. With the
> Fritzbox I find that when I boot up the computer, more often than not,
> there is no connection to the router. I have to unplug and reconnect
> the supply to the Fritzbox to get it to get a connection.

Are you talking about the power supply to the router, or the network cable
between the router and PC?

22:29:16 up 12 days, 17 min, 2 users, load average: 0.06, 0.15, 0.14
09 f9 11 02 9d 74 e3 5b d8 41 56 c5 63 56 88 c0

Herman

"alexd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Brian A wrote:
>
>> Has anyone experienced any problems with computer/router connection to
>> the Fritzbox? I didn't get any problems with my old router. With the
>> Fritzbox I find that when I boot up the computer, more often than not,
>> there is no connection to the router. I have to unplug and reconnect
>> the supply to the Fritzbox to get it to get a connection.

> Are you talking about the power supply to the router, or the network cable
> between the router and PC?
>
> --
> <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ((E-Mail Removed))
> 22:29:16 up 12 days, 17 min, 2 users, load average: 0.06, 0.15, 0.14
> 09 f9 11 02 9d 74 e3 5b d8 41 56 c5 63 56 88 c0

I wondered the same on the first read. I took the word "supply" to mean
what you would think it to mean.

I'm sure Brian A will confirm in a bit though...

Brian A

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 06:33:14 GMT, "Herman"
<whitehouse.madhouse.thisisaspamtraptakemeout!@big foot.com> wrote:

>"alexd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Brian A wrote:
>>
>>> Has anyone experienced any problems with computer/router connection to
>>> the Fritzbox? I didn't get any problems with my old router. With the
>>> Fritzbox I find that when I boot up the computer, more often than not,
>>> there is no connection to the router. I have to unplug and reconnect
>>> the supply to the Fritzbox to get it to get a connection.

>> Are you talking about the power supply to the router, or the network cable
>> between the router and PC?
>>
>> --
>> <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ((E-Mail Removed))
>> 22:29:16 up 12 days, 17 min, 2 users, load average: 0.06, 0.15, 0.14
>> 09 f9 11 02 9d 74 e3 5b d8 41 56 c5 63 56 88 c0

>I wondered the same on the first read. I took the word "supply" to mean
>what you would think it to mean.
>
>I'm sure Brian A will confirm in a bit though...

I mean the power supply lead to the router to make it reboot.
Then the PC starts to connect - in most cases anyway.
The Voip doesn't fail.

---

Brian A wrote:

>>"alexd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Are you talking about the power supply to the router, or the network
>>> cable between the router and PC?

> I mean the power supply lead to the router to make it reboot.
> Then the PC starts to connect - in most cases anyway.
> The Voip doesn't fail.

Are you using DHCP or manual IP on your PC? Is the Fritzbox pingable? Does
you PC say the network cable is unplugged when it stops working? Does it
say "Limited or no connectivity"?

15:34:19 up 12 days, 17:22, 2 users, load average: 0.02, 0.11, 0.09
09 f9 11 02 9d 74 e3 5b d8 41 56 c5 63 56 88 c0

TheFug

alexd schreef:
> Brian A wrote:
>
>>> "alexd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> I mean the power supply lead to the router to make it reboot.
>> Then the PC starts to connect - in most cases anyway.
>> The Voip doesn't fail.

> Are you using DHCP or manual IP on your PC? Is the Fritzbox pingable? Does
> you PC say the network cable is unplugged when it stops working? Does it
> say "Limited or no connectivity"?

@OP: my guess is check if you find any settings, which you can set to:
always connected, some modem/routers can be set for a time period,
because you have had? also ADSL providers who charge by a time period or
data amount, also check, if there are any firm, or software updates
available, check your version first, also there are some quircks when
you use.....Vista ! check your connection management, for options...

--
The Fug.

Brian A

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 18:17:01 +0200, TheFug <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>alexd schreef:

>>> I mean the power supply lead to the router to make it reboot.
>>> Then the PC starts to connect - in most cases anyway.
>>> The Voip doesn't fail.

>> Are you using DHCP or manual IP on your PC? Is the Fritzbox pingable? Does
>> you PC say the network cable is unplugged when it stops working? Does it
>> say "Limited or no connectivity"?
>>

>@OP: my guess is check if you find any settings, which you can set to:
>always connected, some modem/routers can be set for a time period,
>because you have had? also ADSL providers who charge by a time period or
>data amount, also check, if there are any firm, or software updates
>available, check your version first, also there are some quircks when
>you use.....Vista ! check your connection management, for options...

I forgot to say that I am not using the modem part of the Fritzbox as
I use a cable modem plugged into the first LAN socket.
My computer is dual boot. Today it booted in Ubuntu Linux and it
showed no connection. I clicked on restart and, then, immediately,
diconnected/reconnected the power to the Fritzbox. When Windows came
up the connection was OK.
This fault has to be something connected with the Fritzbox. My old
router worked with no problems. Now both Linux and Windows show
connection problems - Windows reports "A network cable is unplugged".

Also the Fritzbox doesn't work nearly as well as my Sipura SPA-3000 on
Voip. I have to wait for a couple of rings before I answer calls
because, otherwise, the call is cut off. The message waiting indicator
doesn't work either on providers where it worked perfectly on the
Sipura box.

All in all, so far, not a very good experience. I bought the Fritzbox
because I wanted another, independent, voip line and thought an
updated router would be wise in case I ever wanted to use ADSL2,
but, as of now, I think that I have made a poor choice even though,
for most, it seems to have proved to be a good performer.

---
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Get your friends to sign too!
TV.
---

Herman

"Brian A" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 18:17:01 +0200, TheFug <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>alexd schreef:

>>> Are you using DHCP or manual IP on your PC? Is the Fritzbox pingable?
>>> Does
>>> you PC say the network cable is unplugged when it stops working? Does it
>>> say "Limited or no connectivity"?
>>>

>>@OP: my guess is check if you find any settings, which you can set to:
>>always connected, some modem/routers can be set for a time period,
>>because you have had? also ADSL providers who charge by a time period or
>>data amount, also check, if there are any firm, or software updates
>>available, check your version first, also there are some quircks when
>>you use.....Vista ! check your connection management, for options...

> I forgot to say that I am not using the modem part of the Fritzbox as
> I use a cable modem plugged into the first LAN socket.
> My computer is dual boot. Today it booted in Ubuntu Linux and it
> showed no connection. I clicked on restart and, then, immediately,
> diconnected/reconnected the power to the Fritzbox. When Windows came
> up the connection was OK.
> This fault has to be something connected with the Fritzbox. My old
> router worked with no problems. Now both Linux and Windows show
> connection problems - Windows reports "A network cable is unplugged".
>
> Also the Fritzbox doesn't work nearly as well as my Sipura SPA-3000 on
> Voip. I have to wait for a couple of rings before I answer calls
> because, otherwise, the call is cut off. The message waiting indicator
> doesn't work either on providers where it worked perfectly on the
> Sipura box.
>
> All in all, so far, not a very good experience. I bought the Fritzbox
> because I wanted another, independent, voip line and thought an
> updated router would be wise in case I ever wanted to use ADSL2,
> but, as of now, I think that I have made a poor choice even though,
> for most, it seems to have proved to be a good performer.
>

> ---
> Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
>
> Sign the petition to get High Definition TV via Freeview.
> Get your friends to sign too!
> Ofcom want to auction off the spectrum needed for Hi Def.
> TV.
> http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/High-Definition/

Sounds like a fault then. My Fritz 7050 has performed very well over the
past 1.5 to 2 years, although 3 way calling and call transfer stopped
working a while ago, which I put down to a firmware upgrade.

Is your Fritz 2nd hand? If not, I would make good use of their warranty,
and or tech support.