Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Does Master Pages improve the performance?

Does Master Pages improve the performance?

=?Utf-8?B?S3VtYXIuQS5QLlA=?=

the existing code was, i had one page which used to dynamically call the
specific control at run time based on the login id(20 login ids).
in order to reduce the complexity of using switch case complexity on that
page, we have planned to use different pages for each login.
i have the option of using over using one Master page or use different page.
but the primary consideration is performance. so, what do i use?
--
Kumar.A.P.P
Software Engineer, Infosys Technologies Limited.

bruce barker

there is not enough info. it depends on how you code. the master page is
just another control on the page, how long it takes to process depends
on how you code. if you put the same number of controls (same look) on
your page, then using a master page should have the same performance.

all asp.net control are really dynamic. there is no performance
difference between your code adding them and the init routine creating
them in the compiled page (its just a bunch create control, set property
statements). its what the code besides create control you have that
effects performance.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Kumar.A.P.P wrote:
> the existing code was, i had one page which used to dynamically call the
> specific control at run time based on the login id(20 login ids).
> in order to reduce the complexity of using switch case complexity on that
> page, we have planned to use different pages for each login.
> i have the option of using over using one Master page or use different page.
> but the primary consideration is performance. so, what do i use?

Apparently you are using the term "Master Page" - which is a special type of
page in ASP.NET 2.0 -- to mean "A single page that handles all of the cases".
The answer would be, a single page is better. The reason is that it
represents one assembly, and once that assembly is loaded into the AppDomain,
it never needs to be loaded again. In the "big scheme" of things, however, I
doubt either way would make any observable difference.
-- Peter
Recursion: see Recursion
site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com