Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Background image not displaying correctly on IE

Background image not displaying correctly on IE

Norman

Hello,
I have the following section of my style.css

/
************************************************** ************************
* Header

************************************************** ************************/
#header{width:100%;position:relative;z-index:10;background:#6899FF;
margin-bottom: 0px;
padding: 0px;
}
#header h1{background:url(images/logo.png) top left
no-repeat;width:400px;height:62px;position:relative;m argin:0;padding:
0;margin-bottom:
0em;

padding: 0px;
color: none;
font-size: 1.1em;
text-align: left;
}

#header h1 a{width:400px;line-height:48px;display:block;text-
indent:-5000px;text-decoration:none;border:none;background:none;}

#header h1 a:hover {background:none;border:none;text-decoration:
none;}

/
************************************************** ************************
* END Header

************************************************** ************************/

But on IE the background image within the h1 tag is aligned to the
right.

How can I fix this.

Here is the site http://uk.expert.travel

Thanks

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
Norman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> But on IE the background image within the h1 tag is aligned to the
> right.
>
> How can I fix this.
>
> Here is the site http://uk.expert.travel

First fix up all the faults as shown in validator:

<http://validator.w3.org/check?verbos...%2F%2Fuk.exper
t.travel%2F%3Bview>

Here is output of faults reported by a Mac browser:

http://uk.expert.travel/ui/uk.expert.travel/style.css
CSS Error (29/14): Invalid property value ³none².
CSS Error (262/74): Unknown CSS property ³_padding-bottom².
CSS Error (283/47): Unknown CSS property ³_height².
http://uk.expert.travel/;view
HTML error (95/: The tag <HEAD> is already open. Maybe the tag
was implicitly opened before.
HTML error (95/75): The tag <META> is not allowed here.
HTML error (96/11): The tag <TITLE> is not allowed here.
HTML error (97/9): Canıt find start tag for end tag </HEAD>.
Maybe the tag was implicitly closed before.
HTML error (173/17): Canıt find start tag for end tag </P>. Maybe
the tag was implicitly closed before.
HTML error (216/17): Canıt find start tag for end tag </P>. Maybe
the tag was implicitly closed before.
HTML error (240/9): Canıt find start tag for end tag </BODY>.
Maybe the tag was implicitly closed before.

--
dorayme

Norman

On Oct 12, 10:30 am, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
>
> Norman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > But on IE the background image within the h1 tag is aligned to the
> > right.

> > How can I fix this.

> > Here is the sitehttp://uk.expert.travel

> First fix up all the faults as shown in validator:
>
> <http://validator.w3.org/check?verbos...%2F%2Fuk.exper
> t.travel%2F%3Bview>
>
> Here is output of faults reported by a Mac browser:
>
> http://uk.expert.travel/ui/uk.expert.travel/style.css
> CSS Error (29/14): Invalid property value ³none².
> CSS Error (262/74): Unknown CSS property ³_padding-bottom².
> CSS Error (283/47): Unknown CSS property ³_height².http://uk.expert.travel/;view
> HTML error (95/: The tag <HEAD> is already open. Maybe the tag
> was implicitly opened before.
> HTML error (95/75): The tag <META> is not allowed here.
> HTML error (96/11): The tag <TITLE> is not allowed here.
> HTML error (97/9): Canıt find start tag for end tag </HEAD>.
> Maybe the tag was implicitly closed before.
> HTML error (173/17): Canıt find start tag for end tag </P>. Maybe
> the tag was implicitly closed before.
> HTML error (216/17): Canıt find start tag for end tag </P>. Maybe
> the tag was implicitly closed before.
> HTML error (240/9): Canıt find start tag for end tag </BODY>.
> Maybe the tag was implicitly closed before.
>
> --
> dorayme

done

John Hosking

Norman wrote:
> On Oct 12, 10:30 am, dorayme wrote:
>>
>> Norman wrote:
>>> But on IE the background image within the h1 tag is aligned to the
>>> right.

Your Resources and Jobs boxes are aligned oddly, too. They don't seem to
even appear in FF.

>>> How can I fix this.
>>> Here is the site http://uk.expert.travel

>> First fix up all the faults as shown in validator:
>>
>> <http://validator.w3.org/check?verbos...%2F%2Fuk.exper
>> t.travel%2F%3Bview>

>> --
>> dorayme

Please don't quote signatures on Usenet.

> done

No, not done. There's still at least one error.

Replace <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"> with <html>.

You also have 4 errors and 9 warnings when running your CSS through the
validator at <http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/> . One of the errors
involves #header h1.

Otherwise:

What happens when you remove text-align:right; from #header in aruni.css?

What's the text-indent:-5000px; in style.css?

Man, that sure is a lot of styles. Especially for a page that has tables
for layout nested five deep

Man, your styles sure use a lot of bg images.

Wouldn't you be more efficient if your styles for #header, #header h1,
#header a, etc. were all together instead of in various .css files?

You're not serious about having semi-colons in your links, are you?

Man, that sure is a lot of JavaScript. Oh, and I see it starts with a
"BrowserDetect" function, so I'm done here, other than to recommend a
new beginning. Rewrite the code or have a professional do it for you.

--
John
Pondering the value of the UIP: http://improve-usenet.org/

Norman

On Oct 12, 12:05 pm, John Hosking <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Norman wrote:

> Your Resources and Jobs boxes are aligned oddly, too. They don't seem to
> even appear in FF.

> >> First fix up all the faults as shown in validator:

> >> <http://validator.w3.org/check?verbos...%2F%2Fuk.exper
> >> t.travel%2F%3Bview>

> >> --
> >> dorayme

> Please don't quote signatures on Usenet.
>

> > done

> No, not done. There's still at least one error.
>
> Replace <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"> with <html>.
>
> You also have 4 errors and 9 warnings when running your CSS through the
> validator at <http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/> . One of the errors
> involves #header h1.
>
> Otherwise:
>
> What happens when you remove text-align:right; from #header in aruni.css?
>
> What's the text-indent:-5000px; in style.css?
>
> Man, that sure is a lot of styles. Especially for a page that has tables
> for layout nested five deep
>
> Man, your styles sure use a lot of bg images.
>
> Wouldn't you be more efficient if your styles for #header, #header h1,
> #header a, etc. were all together instead of in various .css files?
>
> You're not serious about having semi-colons in your links, are you?
>
> Man, that sure is a lot of JavaScript. Oh, and I see it starts with a
> "BrowserDetect" function, so I'm done here, other than to recommend a
> new beginning. Rewrite the code or have a professional do it for you.
>
> --
> John
> Pondering the value of the UIP:http://improve-usenet.org/

thanks for the feedback. yes that was one of the problems and its now
fixed.

the styles are all in different sections as the application has many-
back-offices and many front-offices, but i will look at how to load
only the css for a specific sub-site rather than carry the whole lot.

The browser detect is required for the i18n and the l10n of the site,
so that it can return the right language and localization - if you
know of a better way then do tell me.

cheers

John Hosking

Norman wrote:
> On Oct 12, 12:05 pm, John Hosking wrote:
>> Norman wrote:
>>> On Oct 12, 10:30 am, dorayme wrote:

[stuff]

>> Please don't quote signatures on Usenet.

[my entire previous message, quoted in full, including the signature,
snipped]

> thanks for the feedback. yes that was one of the problems and its now
> fixed.

*WHAT* was one of the problems? I mentioned nine (9) things and you left
all of them in your reply, so which was the one thing you changed? No,
don't answer, I don't really care. I should have known better than to
have replied in the first place. You don't seem to read the replies you
get, so I'm sure I'm wasting my time again already. But here, see this:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~wijnands/nnq/nquote.html

> The browser detect is required for the i18n and the l10n of the site,
> so that it can return the right language and localization - if you
> know of a better way then do tell me.

I can't picture how browser type affects language or date format issues.
Why don't you ask users for their language and location and stop
worrying about what UA they're using (especially since it's impossible
to get the detection 100% right)?

--
John
Reminded of the value of the UIP: http://improve-usenet.org/

Blinky the Shark

John Hosking wrote:
> Norman wrote:

> [stuff]

>>> Please don't quote signatures on Usenet.

> [my entire previous message, quoted in full, including the signature,
> snipped]

Google Grouper.

>> thanks for the feedback. yes that was one of the problems and its now
>> fixed.

> *WHAT* was one of the problems? I mentioned nine (9) things and you left
> all of them in your reply, so which was the one thing you changed? No,
> don't answer, I don't really care. I should have known better than to
> have replied in the first place. You don't seem to read the replies you
> get, so I'm sure I'm wasting my time again already.

Google Grouper

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

dorayme

In article <470f5c9b$(E-Mail Removed)>,
John Hosking <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Norman wrote:

> > thanks for the feedback. yes that was one of the problems and its now
> > fixed.

> *WHAT* was one of the problems? I mentioned nine (9) things and you left
> all of them in your reply, so which was the one thing you changed?

Exactly what I was wondering. I recall something odd happening in
my FF web developer re the background image that the op was
having trouble with, it would simply disappear as soon as the web
developer side bar was activated (he was having trouble with it
moving to the right in IE...). I gave him to fix all validation
faults because I could not figure out what might be causing
trouble quickly with *so many* of his css sheets, plus the
suspicious doctype text lines...

--
dorayme

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 12 Oct 2007 07:59:25
GMT Norman scribed:

> But on IE the background image within the h1 tag is aligned to the
> right.
>
> How can I fix this.
>
> Here is the site http://uk.expert.travel

You seem to have fixed it as the page looks the same to me in ie6, ff, and
opera (-except for a small black box in one of them.)

You might wanna consolidate your stylesheets and javascripts a bit, and get
rid of that xhtml statement from the <html> tag.

--
Neredbojias