Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > GCC compiler error

GCC compiler error

Kenny McCormack

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Kelsey Bjarnason <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>[snips]
>
>On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 00:26:32 +0200, jacob navia wrote:
>
>> lcc-win32 has gone beyond half a *million* downloads. This is the PROOF
>> that I have no knowledge of C: it is one of the most popular C99
>> implementations in the world.

>The fact you've got a lot of copies out there doesn't really mean much;
>by this argument, McDonald's is a gourmet restaurant.

For an amazingly large portion of the (world's) population, it IS.

Say what you will, but the fact is that ubiquity does count for
something.

Philip Potter

Kenny McCormack wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Kelsey Bjarnason <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> [snips]
>>
>> On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 00:26:32 +0200, jacob navia wrote:
>>
>>> lcc-win32 has gone beyond half a *million* downloads. This is the PROOF
>>> that I have no knowledge of C: it is one of the most popular C99
>>> implementations in the world.

>> The fact you've got a lot of copies out there doesn't really mean much;
>> by this argument, McDonald's is a gourmet restaurant.

> For an amazingly large portion of the (world's) population, it IS.
>
> Say what you will, but the fact is that ubiquity does count for
> something.

You seem to have completely missed Kelsey's point. Jacob was saying that
lcc-win32 is quality because it has a large userbase. Kelsey was saying
that the same argument applies to McDonald's. But we know that McDonalds
is not quality - and even the people who use it recognise that it isn't
the Ritz or the Waldorf.

(I have never seen lcc-win32 for myself, I'm not going to say anything
about the quality of the compiler.)

--
Philip Potter pgp <at> doc.ic.ac.uk

Keith Thompson

Philip Potter <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Kenny McCormack wrote:

[snip]
> You seem to have completely missed Kelsey's point.

[...]

Please don't feed the troll.

Kelsey Bjarnason

[snips]

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 08:31:58 +0100, Philip Potter wrote:

> (I have never seen lcc-win32 for myself, I'm not going to say anything
> about the quality of the compiler.)

Likewise. For all I know, lcc-win32 is the best compiler in existence. I
was merely objecting to the argument that popular means good - "Eat dung,
after all, a trillion flies can't be wrong."

Kelsey Bjarnason

[snips]

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 09:44:32 -0700, jameskuyper wrote:

> That I agree in any way with someone else who has also posted here
> doesn't make me a sock puppet, no matter how much you would prefer
> that to be the case. Believe it or not, people can reach conclusions
> which you disagree with, without any collusion, conspiracy, or
> deception involved.

<Mode=Monty Python>
No they can't!
</Mode>

Good goat, if all it took to be a "sock puppet" was disagreeing with
someone, then we'd all be sock puppets - even Richard.

Richard

CBFalconer <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>

> ... snip ...
>>
>> If they want the copy because they expect it to be incompetently
>> written, and they wish proof of that fact, then any contradiction
>> is too well buried for me to see it. I've scratched around
>> underneath the surface, as you suggested, and I can't find it.
>> Could you elaborate on the nature of the contradiction?
>>
>> Fundamentally, behind the desire for the source code is a hope
>> that if it contains sufficiently clear evidence of his
>> incompetence, Jacob will either change his mind about the relevant
>> issues, or be so ashamed that he'll go away. That strikes me as
>> wishful thinking. I doubt that his code contains any evidence
>> sufficiently clear to achieve that effect.

> Please ignore McCormack. He is a known troll.
>
> Jacob Navia obviously has good capabilities. He is sadly lacking
> in knowledge of the actual facts about C, and even worse, he

Guffaw. Time and time again your are plain wrong in your replies and are
corrected. To err is human, but to consider yourself elite is plain
laughable.

> refuses to learn. To him the computer world seems to consist of
> X86's, (provided equipped with the Pentium designation) running
> under some form of Winders, and lately some form of Linux.

> Available for consulting/temporary embedded and systems.
> <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>

Spoon

CBFalconer wrote:

> [...] the computer world seems to consist of X86's, (provided
> equipped with the Pentium designation) [...]

Intel has dropped the Pentium brand. It's just 'Core' now,
e.g. Core 2 Quad Q6600.

Strange gcc compiler error? J Cook C++ 6 05-03-2011 10:02 PM
mysql in c++ initialize error occurs a simple program is executed in redhat9.0 , using gcc 3.2.2 compiler version ... yogesh C++ 4 02-15-2007 07:56 AM
strange compiler error ( gcc 4.0.2) grundmann C++ 8 09-24-2005 05:33 PM
Compiler Error Message: The compiler failed with error code -1073741819 Ram ASP .Net 0 09-13-2005 09:52 AM