Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Cyrillic and UK keyboards.

Cyrillic and UK keyboards.

alexanderqwilson@gmail.com

If someone in say Bulgaria logged into their Bulgarian webmail on a
Cyrillic webmail site, I assume they would login in Cyrillic.

If they moved to the UK and were using a UK keyboard how would they
log in?

Would they need to use Cyrillic characters or could they use Latin
characters? (This assumes they would have to use Cyrillic in Bulgaria
which is an assumption I am making but perhaps someone can tell me if
this is correct?)

Thanks.

Gazwad

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed), the scrawny-riffraff and tiresome mud-packer
who likes lecherous zipper surfing with budgerigars, and whose partner
is a shagstress with a hairless hoo-hoo, wrote in
<(E-Mail Removed) om>:
> If someone in say Bulgaria logged into their Bulgarian webmail on a
> Cyrillic webmail site, I assume they would login in Cyrillic.
>
> If they moved to the UK and were using a UK keyboard how would they
> log in?
>
> Would they need to use Cyrillic characters or could they use Latin
> characters? (This assumes they would have to use Cyrillic in Bulgaria
> which is an assumption I am making but perhaps someone can tell me if
> this is correct?)
>
> Thanks.

Ask a scrote.

is but a dream within a dream.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>If someone in say Bulgaria logged into their Bulgarian webmail on a
>Cyrillic webmail site, I assume they would login in Cyrillic.
>
>If they moved to the UK and were using a UK keyboard how would they
>log in?

Log in with the same characters.
--

A wife
http://www.dnaco.net/~vogelke/pictur...s/image014.jpg

Whiskers

On 2007-10-12, (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>>If someone in say Bulgaria logged into their Bulgarian webmail on a
>>Cyrillic webmail site, I assume they would login in Cyrillic.
>>
>>If they moved to the UK and were using a UK keyboard how would they
>>log in?

> Log in with the same characters.

To achieve which would probably require that they use a computer set up to
use the appropriate language and keyboard-map. It is possible, I believe,
to have multiple 'locales' and hardware maps on one computer and even be
able to switch between them 'on the fly', but I've never tried it. You
can get keyboard overlays or polyglot markings to accomodate different
keyboard maps on one piece of hardware.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Mike the Brewer

"Whiskers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 2007-10-12, (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>>If someone in say Bulgaria logged into their Bulgarian webmail on a
>>>Cyrillic webmail site, I assume they would login in Cyrillic.
>>>
>>>If they moved to the UK and were using a UK keyboard how would they
>>>log in?

>> Log in with the same characters.

> To achieve which would probably require that they use a computer set up to
> use the appropriate language and keyboard-map. It is possible, I believe,
> to have multiple 'locales' and hardware maps on one computer and even be
> able to switch between them 'on the fly', but I've never tried it. You
> can get keyboard overlays or polyglot markings to accomodate different
> keyboard maps on one piece of hardware.
>
> --
> -- ^^^^^^^^^^
> -- Whiskers
> -- ~~~~~~~~~~

Once my pc was set up to handle Cyrillic (Russian as an alternative to
the English default language)
I was able to make my keyboard overlays by printing out the characters
and sticking on the
appropriate keys, covering with clear resin to stop wearing off.
Secondly I aquired an old data switch box ( made to switch between
printers) and modified the
A-B switch to select one of two ps2 keyboard sockets outputting to a lead
to the pc.
It can also be done with a 2 position rotary switch of the radio variety,
with number of poles appropriate
to the pins in the sockets and then mounted on a small neat bracket
screwed to the desk front.
It is possible to switch on the fly provided both keyboards are of
identical form (e.g. standard 102 key UK/US )
I have not tried this with USB types but it should work.
You can buy dedicated Cyrillic keyboards but from those I have seen they
tend to be rather expensive, and I am not
sure how they would react to switching on the fly. A nice set of
professional overlays woul'nt go amiss though.