Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > ACDSee 10 Photo Manager

ACDSee 10 Photo Manager

BRH

Just wondering whether anyone here is using ACDSee 10 Photo Manager.
And, if so, what your experiences have been. I think that it's only
recently been released (Version 10), so perhaps it's not being widely
used yet.

I downloaded the 30-day trial and, based upon a quick look, it seems
pretty slick (although I can't compare it against previous versions). I
particularly like the Photo Calendar view.

I haven't tried tagging and cataloging yet, since I'm not sure yet
whether I'll be buying it after the trial period expires. Can anyone
comment on how useful the database functions are? I don't have a huge
number of photos (yet) - the number is below 1000 at this point. How
does it run after the datavase records (photos) number in the thousands?
Any tips on how to tag/catalog efficiently?

Any thoughts on this product (positive or negative) would be welcomed.

Thanks.

Paul Furman

BRH wrote:
> Just wondering whether anyone here is using ACDSee 10 Photo Manager.
> And, if so, what your experiences have been. I think that it's only
> recently been released (Version 10), so perhaps it's not being widely
> used yet.
>
> I downloaded the 30-day trial and, based upon a quick look, it seems
> pretty slick (although I can't compare it against previous versions). I
> particularly like the Photo Calendar view.
>
> I haven't tried tagging and cataloging yet, since I'm not sure yet
> whether I'll be buying it after the trial period expires. Can anyone
> comment on how useful the database functions are? I don't have a huge
> number of photos (yet) - the number is below 1000 at this point. How
> does it run after the datavase records (photos) number in the thousands?
> Any tips on how to tag/catalog efficiently?

ACD4's database (few years old version) gets corrupt above a certain
size so I don't use if for annotation. I do use the program though, for
browsing & culling & batch renaming new sort orders. My old version is
quick & handy. I love that I can right-click & browse a folder & it
opens fast.

--
Paul Furman Photography
http://edgehill.net

Psygnosis - Silent Running

The company worked very hard on ACDSee Pro 2, they had a long beta period
and for the most part listened to the feedback they got. I think it is the
best version they have released. But, we are talking about the Pro 2 version
and not the cheaper standard version.

One thing I still don't like is the photo editor that they include with it.
They have a much better one that they sell seperatly. However, I will not
buy it as I feel it should have been included with the Pro 2 program.

For image cataloging and editing I use Lightroom. It isn't perfect (far from
it) but it is one of the best workflows I have seen. I can process 1500
shots in a very short period of time and since I tend to shoot 1500 during a
day trip and I shoot RAW it is nice being able to get through the quickly.

Psynosis

Paul Furman

Psygnosis - Silent Running wrote:

> The company worked very hard on ACDSee Pro 2, they had a long beta
> period and for the most part listened to the feedback they got. I think
> it is the best version they have released. But, we are talking about the
> Pro 2 version and not the cheaper standard version.
>
> One thing I still don't like is the photo editor that they include with
> it. They have a much better one that they sell seperatly. However, I
> will not buy it as I feel it should have been included with the Pro 2
> program.
>
> For image cataloging and editing I use Lightroom. It isn't perfect (far
> from it) but it is one of the best workflows I have seen. I can process
> 1500 shots in a very short period of time and since I tend to shoot 1500
> during a day trip and I shoot RAW it is nice being able to get through
> the quickly.

Sounds good, I should take a look at Lightroom. Culling & sorting is a
big deal for me too, that's why I sometimes use ACDsee still.. because
it'll do some particular thing.

PS On another topic, I hesitate to put my annotation in a proprietary
system so I just keep annotation in text files with matching names. I
suppose I should commit to a real database though. I'm just really stuck
on file folder names doing most of the organizing.

--
Paul Furman Photography
http://edgehill.net

BRH

Paul Furman wrote:

> Psygnosis - Silent Running wrote:
>
>> The company worked very hard on ACDSee Pro 2, they had a long beta
>> period and for the most part listened to the feedback they got. I
>> think it is the best version they have released. But, we are talking
>> about the Pro 2 version and not the cheaper standard version.
>>
>> One thing I still don't like is the photo editor that they include
>> with it. They have a much better one that they sell seperatly.
>> However, I will not buy it as I feel it should have been included with
>> the Pro 2 program.
>>
>> For image cataloging and editing I use Lightroom. It isn't perfect
>> (far from it) but it is one of the best workflows I have seen. I can
>> process 1500 shots in a very short period of time and since I tend to
>> shoot 1500 during a day trip and I shoot RAW it is nice being able to
>> get through the quickly.

> Sounds good, I should take a look at Lightroom. Culling & sorting is a
> big deal for me too, that's why I sometimes use ACDsee still.. because
> it'll do some particular thing.
>
> PS On another topic, I hesitate to put my annotation in a proprietary
> system so I just keep annotation in text files with matching names. I
> suppose I should commit to a real database though. I'm just really stuck
> on file folder names doing most of the organizing.

Thanks to you both for your replies. Since I already have CaptureNX for
processing my Raw images, I don't want to make the investment into
Lightroom or (probably) ACDSeePro 2.

The main thing I'm looking for is efficiency in tagging/cataloging and
displaying images because the browswer feature in Capture NX and the
View NX don't seem to cut it for me.

Paul - Would you know was ACDSEE Pro offers in those areas that ACDSee
10 Photo Manager doesn't?

Thanks again!

Peter Lawrence

BRH wrote:
> Paul Furman wrote:
>
>> Psygnosis - Silent Running wrote:
>>
>>> The company worked very hard on ACDSee Pro 2, they had a long beta
>>> period and for the most part listened to the feedback they got. I
>>> think it is the best version they have released. But, we are talking
>>> about the Pro 2 version and not the cheaper standard version.
>>>
>>> One thing I still don't like is the photo editor that they include
>>> with it. They have a much better one that they sell seperatly.
>>> However, I will not buy it as I feel it should have been included
>>> with the Pro 2 program.
>>>
>>> For image cataloging and editing I use Lightroom. It isn't perfect
>>> (far from it) but it is one of the best workflows I have seen. I can
>>> process 1500 shots in a very short period of time and since I tend to
>>> shoot 1500 during a day trip and I shoot RAW it is nice being able to
>>> get through the quickly.

>> Sounds good, I should take a look at Lightroom. Culling & sorting is a
>> big deal for me too, that's why I sometimes use ACDsee still.. because
>> it'll do some particular thing.
>>
>> PS On another topic, I hesitate to put my annotation in a proprietary
>> system so I just keep annotation in text files with matching names. I
>> suppose I should commit to a real database though. I'm just really
>> stuck on file folder names doing most of the organizing.
>>

> Thanks to you both for your replies. Since I already have CaptureNX for
> processing my Raw images, I don't want to make the investment into
> Lightroom or (probably) ACDSeePro 2.
>
> The main thing I'm looking for is efficiency in tagging/cataloging and
> displaying images because the browswer feature in Capture NX and the
> View NX don't seem to cut it for me.

If you are just interested in a photo browser (and not RAW file
converter), there's none better than Photo Mechanic by CameraBits.
Highly recommended.

http://www.camerabits.com/pages/PM4.html

- Peter