Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Ad Hoc wireless mode

Ad Hoc wireless mode

=?Utf-8?B?dGNhaGlsbA==?=

I want to connect my desktop PC which is running XP Home SP2, to my printer
wirelessly. Can I do this without using a router? I think I read that I can
use Ad Hoc wireless mode to do this. So I assume that I need only a wireless
PCI adapter for my PC and a wireless Print server for my printer. Is this
correct? I'm not trying to construct a LAN, I just want to create a wireless
connection between my PC and my printer.

I'd appreciate someone's input.

THX

TW

"tcahill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I want to connect my desktop PC which is running XP Home SP2, to my printer
> wirelessly. Can I do this without using a router? I think I read that I
> can
> use Ad Hoc wireless mode to do this. So I assume that I need only a
> wireless
> PCI adapter for my PC and a wireless Print server for my printer. Is this
> correct? I'm not trying to construct a LAN, I just want to create a
> wireless
> connection between my PC and my printer.
>
> I'd appreciate someone's input.
>
> THX

I use a D-Link DP311P wireless print server.
I just checked the wireless settings and one of the settings is Ad Hoc Peer
to Peer, so with this model it should be possible, but I use a wireless
router for my network and have never checked to see if Ad Hoc mode works.

Eric Cross [MVP]

Greetings,

Barb Bowman has written a page on how to create an Ad Hoc wireles network
without a router. Please see the following link.

Making the Wireless Home Network Connection in Windows XP Without a Router
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...02april08.mspx

_________________
Eric Cross
Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

"tcahill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I want to connect my desktop PC which is running XP Home SP2, to my printer
> wirelessly. Can I do this without using a router? I think I read that I
> can
> use Ad Hoc wireless mode to do this. So I assume that I need only a
> wireless
> PCI adapter for my PC and a wireless Print server for my printer. Is this
> correct? I'm not trying to construct a LAN, I just want to create a
> wireless
> connection between my PC and my printer.
>
> I'd appreciate someone's input.
>
> THX

Robert Jacobs

Just to answer your question. YES you can.

"tcahill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I want to connect my desktop PC which is running XP Home SP2, to my printer
> wirelessly. Can I do this without using a router? I think I read that I
> can
> use Ad Hoc wireless mode to do this. So I assume that I need only a
> wireless
> PCI adapter for my PC and a wireless Print server for my printer. Is this
> correct? I'm not trying to construct a LAN, I just want to create a
> wireless
> connection between my PC and my printer.
>
> I'd appreciate someone's input.
>
> THX

=?Utf-8?B?dGNhaGlsbA==?=

Thanks, I think I can figure out how to do it, I just wanted to make sure it
was possible before I started.

TC

"Robert Jacobs" wrote:

> Just to answer your question. YES you can.
>
> "tcahill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I want to connect my desktop PC which is running XP Home SP2, to my printer
> > wirelessly. Can I do this without using a router? I think I read that I
> > can
> > use Ad Hoc wireless mode to do this. So I assume that I need only a
> > wireless
> > PCI adapter for my PC and a wireless Print server for my printer. Is this
> > correct? I'm not trying to construct a LAN, I just want to create a
> > wireless
> > connection between my PC and my printer.
> >
> > I'd appreciate someone's input.
> >
> > THX

gn

Yes I read Barb's article but I have a AT&T modem which I use to connect to
internet ..But it has a DHCP server which has an IP address as 192.168.0.1
and when I try to enable the ICS it reports a conflict.. which is why i'm not
happy with both MS and AT&T ... On the web i read that its not possible, if
this is the case ! I want to ask both MS and AT&T if there is a workaround !
I hope somebody helps !

"Eric Cross [MVP]" wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Barb Bowman has written a page on how to create an Ad Hoc wireles network
> without a router. Please see the following link.
>
> Making the Wireless Home Network Connection in Windows XP Without a Router
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...02april08.mspx
>
> _________________
> Eric Cross
> Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>

> "tcahill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I want to connect my desktop PC which is running XP Home SP2, to my printer
> > wirelessly. Can I do this without using a router? I think I read that I
> > can
> > use Ad Hoc wireless mode to do this. So I assume that I need only a
> > wireless
> > PCI adapter for my PC and a wireless Print server for my printer. Is this
> > correct? I'm not trying to construct a LAN, I just want to create a
> > wireless
> > connection between my PC and my printer.
> >
> > I'd appreciate someone's input.
> >
> > THX

Lem

The base IP address used by Windows ICS is 192.168.0.1 and can not be
changed. Thus if there is already a device on your network (such as
your AT&T "modem") that uses that address, you'll have problems). But
you don't want to use ICS anyway if all you want to do is connect your
printer wirelessly (ICS = Internet Connection Sharing). Connect your
printer is NOT sharing the Internet with it.

Buy a USB or PCI WiFi adapter (if you get a PCI adapter, be sure to get
one with a detachable antenna, so that your antenna isn't stuck down
behind your computer case). Configure both the adapter and the wireless
print server to be in ad hoc mode. For faster connection, set them to
have static IP addresses (e.g., 192.168.2.20 and 192.168.2.25).

--
Lem -- MS-MVP

gn

Ok I think something is wrong here! I'm not at all trying to connect my
printer to internet ! Or may be I posted my note at a wrong place. I
apologize for that.

So let me explain what 'm I trying to do:

I just bought a new laptop. And now I want to access internet on this new
laptop. I also have my old laptop which is connected to internet using a AT&T
modem. (This is the modem which has this IP address 192.168.0.1 and is wired)
I was just wondering if I can use this ICS and avoid the need to buy a new
wireless router. So far I have been able to connect both the laptops
wirelessly but could not share the internet connection which is what I want..

Thanks!

"Lem" wrote:

> The base IP address used by Windows ICS is 192.168.0.1 and can not be
> changed. Thus if there is already a device on your network (such as
> your AT&T "modem") that uses that address, you'll have problems). But
> you don't want to use ICS anyway if all you want to do is connect your
> printer wirelessly (ICS = Internet Connection Sharing). Connect your
> printer is NOT sharing the Internet with it.
>
> Buy a USB or PCI WiFi adapter (if you get a PCI adapter, be sure to get
> one with a detachable antenna, so that your antenna isn't stuck down
> behind your computer case). Configure both the adapter and the wireless
> print server to be in ad hoc mode. For faster connection, set them to
> have static IP addresses (e.g., 192.168.2.20 and 192.168.2.25).
>

> gn wrote:
> > Yes I read Barb's article but I have a AT&T modem which I use to connect to
> > internet ..But it has a DHCP server which has an IP address as 192.168.0.1
> > and when I try to enable the ICS it reports a conflict.. which is why i'm not
> > happy with both MS and AT&T ... On the web i read that its not possible, if
> > this is the case ! I want to ask both MS and AT&T if there is a workaround !
> > I hope somebody helps !
> >
> > "Eric Cross [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Greetings,
> >>
> >> Barb Bowman has written a page on how to create an Ad Hoc wireles network
> >> without a router. Please see the following link.
> >>
> >> Making the Wireless Home Network Connection in Windows XP Without a Router
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...02april08.mspx
> >>
> >> _________________
> >> Eric Cross
> >> Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> >>

> >> "tcahill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> --
> Lem -- MS-MVP

Lem

Your first problem is that you posted as a continuation of someone
else's question. *That* person wanted to create an ad hoc wireless
connection between his computer and his printer.

You should *always* ask a new question in a *new* post with a
descriptive subject.

In any case, if you read the first two sentences of my earlier response,
you'll see that you (probably) can't do what you want with the equipment
you have.

The "probably" depends on exactly what the "AT&T modem" that you have
actually is. What make and model is it? How many ports (places where
you can connect an Ethernet cable) does it have?

Your description of how your equipment is connected is confusing.

To what is the "modem" wired?
To what is the old laptop connected wirelessly when you can get to the 'Net?
To what is the new laptop connected wirelessly when you can get to the 'Net?

--
Lem -- MS-MVP

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
It might be that what you call an ATT Modem is actually a Modem/Router
combo.
If this is the case and the device has only one port you probably can
connect it to a switch and connect both computers to the switch.
I.e no need for ICS and second Routing.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

news:(E-Mail Removed)...