Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > grey market Canon 40d

grey market Canon 40d

Bob S

JohnR66 wrote:

> I would not recommend a grey market digital camera. Although they tend to be
> reliable, If there should be a problem, Canon won't repair a grey market
> camera under warranty. I'd consider a grey market lens as these tend to have
> less problems.
>
> Also beware of amazing low prices. If it is much lower than a reliable
> seller, such as B&H, be careful.

Or Adorama or Best Price Audio Video.... Along with B&H some of the few
reputab;e mail order houses.....

Bob S

Mark B. wrote:
> "Wolf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:fek0hj$atv$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I like to hear from those who have actually purchased a grey market product
>> and their experiences. Specifically I'm looking at the new Canon 40d.
>> Several sellers on the internet have that camera about 1/2 price, stand
>> alone. Can you actually buy one with a US warrenty all in the box for that
>> price? I know they hard see you, but Hey, can you actually do it?
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Wolf-==-
>>

> Check http://www.resellerratings.com for those sellers that have it for 1/2
> price. You'll find they're scams to get you to pay high prices for
> accessories that are actually included, or outlandish shipping & handling
> charges. If it sounds too good to be true...

Go to
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=15653
and click on "whats in the box" to find out what CAnon ships with the 40D

Bob

Mark B.

"Sosumi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Steven" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> How much is the going rate at present in the US?
>>
>> Reason I ask is, it costs roughly 1,528 USD here in the UK (Ģ749) from
>> the internet companies and is body only and they are flying off the
>> shelves!!! In fact in several forums, folk were trying to import them
>> from the US!!

> Are they crazy or just stupidly buying any **** Canon releases?
> Itīs a 400D with a new spare tire and some chrome wheels.

Are you trolling, or just totally clueless? If it's the latter, I suggest
you compare the 2 models:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos40d/

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos400d/

Wolf

From reading all the response on my question, I see that there aren't many
that have the "gery market" experience. Just a bunch of grey market
anecdotes of no substantiable origin. So here is the synopsis...No US
warrenty, or possibly limited warrenty with shipment to Asia for repair.
Pressure "Up- selling" buy the marketer to add accessories that are way
above market value. Here is my take on the issue, but first I want to get a
response on actual warrenty issues experienced by Canon purchasers. How
many cameras manufactured by Canon are actually defective and require
warrenty service. The comments that "gery marker" products are factory
returns doesn't hold for this product (40D) as it is just off the shelf and
the "gery marketers" would not have had the time to get "factory refurbs" to
sell. So to quell the speculation, I'm going to buy a Canon 40D at 1/2
retail and let you know how it turns out.

Thanks for your time

wolf-==-

"Wolf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fek0hj$atv$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I like to hear from those who have actually purchased a grey market product
>and their experiences. Specifically I'm looking at the new Canon 40d.
>Several sellers on the internet have that camera about 1/2 price, stand
>alone. Can you actually buy one with a US warrenty all in the box for that
>price? I know they hard see you, but Hey, can you actually do it?
> Thanks!
>
> Wolf-==-

Bob S

Wolf wrote:
> From reading all the response on my question, I see that there aren't many
> that have the "gery market" experience. Just a bunch of grey market
> anecdotes of no substantiable origin. So here is the synopsis...No US
> warrenty, or possibly limited warrenty with shipment to Asia for repair.
> Pressure "Up- selling" buy the marketer to add accessories that are way
> above market value. Here is my take on the issue, but first I want to get a
> response on actual warrenty issues experienced by Canon purchasers. How
> many cameras manufactured by Canon are actually defective and require
> warrenty service. The comments that "gery marker" products are factory
> returns doesn't hold for this product (40D) as it is just off the shelf and
> the "gery marketers" would not have had the time to get "factory refurbs" to
> sell. So to quell the speculation, I'm going to buy a Canon 40D at 1/2
> retail and let you know how it turns out.
>
> Thanks for your time

Wow! You're gutsy......

Before, if its not to late, you gamble with your credit card have you
checked the dealer with http://www.resellerratings.com? Could save you
some grief...... Have you checked Canon's web site and looked at what
you get in the box Canon ships to the dealer?

BTW, gray market are not factory returns and refurbs as you said. They
are not distributed by Canon USA.

Keep us updated......

Bob S

EAL

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 21:23:03 -0500, "Wolf" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>From reading all the response on my question, I see that there aren't many
>that have the "gery market" experience. Just a bunch of grey market
>anecdotes of no substantiable origin. So here is the synopsis...No US
>warrenty, or possibly limited warrenty with shipment to Asia for repair.
>Pressure "Up- selling" buy the marketer to add accessories that are way
>above market value. Here is my take on the issue, but first I want to get a
>response on actual warrenty issues experienced by Canon purchasers. How
>many cameras manufactured by Canon are actually defective and require
>warrenty service. The comments that "gery marker" products are factory
>returns doesn't hold for this product (40D) as it is just off the shelf and
>the "gery marketers" would not have had the time to get "factory refurbs" to
>sell. So to quell the speculation, I'm going to buy a Canon 40D at 1/2
>retail and let you know how it turns out.
>
>Thanks for your time

You're welcome.

I have one Rebel XT body, one fixed focus lens, and 4 zooms.

The body went in for repairs and it came back yesterday after 4 1/2
weeks in the shop. One of the zooms was repaired under warranty
earlier this year, took 3 weeks. Another zoom is still out, its second
trip to Canon Service. Hopefully it will be back early next week after
5 weeks... the previous time it was 3 weeks.

The other 2 zooms and the fixed focus lens have not been serviced.

Just my experience, YMMV.

I wish you lots of luck. Pls let us know how it turns out.

Ed

David J Taylor

EAL wrote:
[]
> I have one Rebel XT body, one fixed focus lens, and 4 zooms.
>
> The body went in for repairs and it came back yesterday after 4 1/2
> weeks in the shop. One of the zooms was repaired under warranty
> earlier this year, took 3 weeks. Another zoom is still out, its second
> trip to Canon Service. Hopefully it will be back early next week after
> 5 weeks... the previous time it was 3 weeks.
>
> The other 2 zooms and the fixed focus lens have not been serviced.
>
> Just my experience, YMMV.
>
> I wish you lots of luck. Pls let us know how it turns out.
>
> Ed

Doesn't seem a very good reliability record, does it?

David

Steven

"EAL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 21:23:03 -0500, "Wolf" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>From reading all the response on my question, I see that there aren't many
>>that have the "gery market" experience. Just a bunch of grey market
>>anecdotes of no substantiable origin. So here is the synopsis...No US
>>warrenty, or possibly limited warrenty with shipment to Asia for repair.
>>Pressure "Up- selling" buy the marketer to add accessories that are way
>>above market value. Here is my take on the issue, but first I want to get
>>response on actual warrenty issues experienced by Canon purchasers. How
>>many cameras manufactured by Canon are actually defective and require
>>warrenty service. The comments that "gery marker" products are factory
>>returns doesn't hold for this product (40D) as it is just off the shelf
>>and
>>the "gery marketers" would not have had the time to get "factory refurbs"
>>sell. So to quell the speculation, I'm going to buy a Canon 40D at 1/2
>>retail and let you know how it turns out.
>>
>>Thanks for your time

> You're welcome.
>
> I have one Rebel XT body, one fixed focus lens, and 4 zooms.
>
> The body went in for repairs and it came back yesterday after 4 1/2
> weeks in the shop. One of the zooms was repaired under warranty
> earlier this year, took 3 weeks. Another zoom is still out, its second
> trip to Canon Service. Hopefully it will be back early next week after
> 5 weeks... the previous time it was 3 weeks.
>
> The other 2 zooms and the fixed focus lens have not been serviced.

What make / model was your zooms?

Steven

"Wolf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fepa66$tfo$(E-Mail Removed)...
> From reading all the response on my question, I see that there aren't many
> that have the "gery market" experience. Just a bunch of grey market
> anecdotes of no substantiable origin. So here is the synopsis...No US
> warrenty, or possibly limited warrenty with shipment to Asia for repair.
> Pressure "Up- selling" buy the marketer to add accessories that are way
> above market value. Here is my take on the issue, but first I want to get
> a response on actual warrenty issues experienced by Canon purchasers. How
> many cameras manufactured by Canon are actually defective and require
> warrenty service. The comments that "gery marker" products are factory
> returns doesn't hold for this product (40D) as it is just off the shelf
> and the "gery marketers" would not have had the time to get "factory
> refurbs" to sell. So to quell the speculation, I'm going to buy a Canon
> 40D at 1/2 retail and let you know how it turns out.

I think you have got the grey market mixed up with the refurbished market.
The grey market just means the camera is bought from a different country and
wasn't intended to be sold in your country. Absolutely nothing to do with
defects.

In the UK grey market cameras doesn't mean no accessories etc. It is the
exact same boxed camera you could buy in the UK including manuals, leads,
disks etc. The only difference being it wasn't intended to be bought in that
country so the manual may be in a different language depending what country
it should be sold in.

I have bought grey market before from Hong Kong but it never needed repair
so can't comment personally on this side but do know others that have bought
grey market and Canon UK took over the warranty!!!

EAL

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 09:37:00 +0100, "Steven" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"EAL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 21:23:03 -0500, "Wolf" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>From reading all the response on my question, I see that there aren't many
>>>that have the "gery market" experience. Just a bunch of grey market
>>>anecdotes of no substantiable origin. So here is the synopsis...No US
>>>warrenty, or possibly limited warrenty with shipment to Asia for repair.
>>>Pressure "Up- selling" buy the marketer to add accessories that are way
>>>above market value. Here is my take on the issue, but first I want to get
>>>response on actual warrenty issues experienced by Canon purchasers. How
>>>many cameras manufactured by Canon are actually defective and require
>>>warrenty service. The comments that "gery marker" products are factory
>>>returns doesn't hold for this product (40D) as it is just off the shelf
>>>and
>>>the "gery marketers" would not have had the time to get "factory refurbs"
>>>sell. So to quell the speculation, I'm going to buy a Canon 40D at 1/2
>>>retail and let you know how it turns out.
>>>
>>>Thanks for your time

>> You're welcome.
>>
>> I have one Rebel XT body, one fixed focus lens, and 4 zooms.
>>
>> The body went in for repairs and it came back yesterday after 4 1/2
>> weeks in the shop. One of the zooms was repaired under warranty
>> earlier this year, took 3 weeks. Another zoom is still out, its second
>> trip to Canon Service. Hopefully it will be back early next week after
>> 5 weeks... the previous time it was 3 weeks.
>>
>> The other 2 zooms and the fixed focus lens have not been serviced.

>What make / model was your zooms?

My 70-300 4-5.6 IS USM was repaired due to the well-known sharpness
issue when used vertically; the 17-55 f2.8 is being fixed (I hope...
one never knows for sure until it is back) due to very bad erratic
focusing, whether in MF or AF... but the problems were possibly due to
the body... still need to test them together. (Body worked fine with
the other lenses, though.)

The 18-55mm kit and 10-22mm seem to be fine.

They are all Canons.

Ed

Grey market stores in NY for Canon 300D Siddhartha Jain Digital Photography 2 10-14-2004 02:01 PM
Still trying to figure the grey level of an 18% grey card (was: If I shoot a grey card, should this end up as 127 grey?) Alan F Cross Digital Photography 40 03-02-2004 12:12 PM
If I shoot a grey card, should this end up as 127 grey? Alan F Cross Digital Photography 8 02-26-2004 09:57 AM
grey market? CNT Digital Photography 14 10-15-2003 08:44 PM
Re: Open question about grey market camera imports Bill Bennett Digital Photography 0 06-23-2003 01:39 PM

Advertisments