Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > 64 bit versus 32 bit RAM

64 bit versus 32 bit RAM

=?Utf-8?B?Umljaw==?=

Two questions:
1)I have Vista 64 bit, I wanted to see if it could be converted or reloaded
to the 32 bit with the OEM version I have, but from prior questions it seems
that there is no way to convert the 64 bit versio to the 32 bit version,
unless somebody knows a way.
2) If I do reinstall and go with the 32 bit versioin, I have heard there is
problems with that version supporting more than 2 GB of RAM, I now have 4 GB
of DDR2 in my system.

Thanks,

Rick

John Barnes

1. You will have to do a clean install to revert to 32-bit OEM. 2. You
will not necessarily see all the ram, but you should have no problems. Some
have experienced problems installing Vista with more than 2gig of ram, so if
you have a problem, uninstall 2gig for the install and then put them back
in. I know of no problems after the install has succeeded in having 4gig
installed.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Two questions:
> 1)I have Vista 64 bit, I wanted to see if it could be converted or
> reloaded
> to the 32 bit with the OEM version I have, but from prior questions it
> seems
> that there is no way to convert the 64 bit versio to the 32 bit version,
> unless somebody knows a way.
> 2) If I do reinstall and go with the 32 bit versioin, I have heard there
> is
> problems with that version supporting more than 2 GB of RAM, I now have 4
> GB
> of DDR2 in my system.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rick

Dominic Payer

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777 describes the problem.

The hotfix is installed when the Vista updates from Windows Update applied,
so Windows Update should be visited before the last 2GB of RAM are
installed.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> 1. You will have to do a clean install to revert to 32-bit OEM. 2. You
> will not necessarily see all the ram, but you should have no problems.
> Some have experienced problems installing Vista with more than 2gig of
> ram, so if you have a problem, uninstall 2gig for the install and then put
> them back in. I know of no problems after the install has succeeded in
> having 4gig installed.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Two questions:
>> 1)I have Vista 64 bit, I wanted to see if it could be converted or
>> reloaded
>> to the 32 bit with the OEM version I have, but from prior questions it
>> seems
>> that there is no way to convert the 64 bit versio to the 32 bit version,
>> unless somebody knows a way.
>> 2) If I do reinstall and go with the 32 bit versioin, I have heard there
>> is
>> problems with that version supporting more than 2 GB of RAM, I now have 4
>> GB
>> of DDR2 in my system.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Rick

=?Utf-8?B?YnJvY2NvbGliZWVm?=

If I install Vista 64-bit with 4 gig of ram in the system, will I encounter
that stop error during the install?

I was going to say NO, but that MS KB article you linked to includes a 64
bit version of the hot fix!?

So will I encounter that stop error with 4 gig of ram, when I install the
64-bit Vista?

Many thanks in advance!

"Dominic Payer" wrote:

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777 describes the problem.
>
> The hotfix is installed when the Vista updates from Windows Update applied,
> so Windows Update should be visited before the last 2GB of RAM are
> installed.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > 1. You will have to do a clean install to revert to 32-bit OEM. 2. You
> > will not necessarily see all the ram, but you should have no problems.
> > Some have experienced problems installing Vista with more than 2gig of
> > ram, so if you have a problem, uninstall 2gig for the install and then put
> > them back in. I know of no problems after the install has succeeded in
> > having 4gig installed.
> >
> > "Rick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Two questions:
> >> 1)I have Vista 64 bit, I wanted to see if it could be converted or
> >> reloaded
> >> to the 32 bit with the OEM version I have, but from prior questions it
> >> seems
> >> that there is no way to convert the 64 bit versio to the 32 bit version,
> >> unless somebody knows a way.
> >> 2) If I do reinstall and go with the 32 bit versioin, I have heard there
> >> is
> >> problems with that version supporting more than 2 GB of RAM, I now have 4
> >> GB
> >> of DDR2 in my system.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Rick

Dominic Payer

It depends whether your system meets the conditions specified in the
knowledgebase article. Many systems need to be reduced to 2GB for the
install, some will install fine with 4GB or more.

The easiest way to avoid problems is to reduce the RAM to 2GB for the
install. If you then apply all relevant Windows Updates the 929777 update
will be applied. You can then replace all the RAM and carry on.

The problem is seen most often on 64 bit systems because 32-bit systems
cannot usually get full benefit from 4GB of RAM and anyone with more than
4GB of RAM must use 64 bit anyway.

"broccolibeef" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If I install Vista 64-bit with 4 gig of ram in the system, will I
> encounter
> that stop error during the install?
>
> I was going to say NO, but that MS KB article you linked to includes a 64
> bit version of the hot fix!?
>
> So will I encounter that stop error with 4 gig of ram, when I install the
> 64-bit Vista?
>
> Many thanks in advance!
>
> "Dominic Payer" wrote:
>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777 describes the problem.
>>
>> The hotfix is installed when the Vista updates from Windows Update
>> applied,
>> so Windows Update should be visited before the last 2GB of RAM are
>> installed.
>>

>> "John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > 1. You will have to do a clean install to revert to 32-bit OEM. 2.
>> > You
>> > will not necessarily see all the ram, but you should have no problems.
>> > Some have experienced problems installing Vista with more than 2gig of
>> > ram, so if you have a problem, uninstall 2gig for the install and then
>> > put
>> > them back in. I know of no problems after the install has succeeded in
>> > having 4gig installed.
>> >
>> > "Rick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

ananda chidambaram

I have HP vista 64 bit, I want to convert my HP vista from 64bit to 32 bit operating system I can't load the Autocad and Stad pro sofware in this 64bit operating system. can you please send the solution for this problem solve.
Thanks
Anandachidambaram

Ric wrote:

64 bit versus 32 bit RAM
10-Oct-07

Two questions:
1)I have Vista 64 bit, I wanted to see if it could be converted or reloaded
to the 32 bit with the OEM version I have, but from prior questions it seems
that there is no way to convert the 64 bit versio to the 32 bit version,
unless somebody knows a way.
2) If I do reinstall and go with the 32 bit versioin, I have heard there is
problems with that version supporting more than 2 GB of RAM, I now have 4 GB
of DDR2 in my system

Thanks

Rick

On Wednesday, October 10, 2007 8:10 AM
Ric wrote:

64 bit versus 32 bit RAM
Two questions:
1)I have Vista 64 bit, I wanted to see if it could be converted or reloaded
to the 32 bit with the OEM version I have, but from prior questions it seems
that there is no way to convert the 64 bit versio to the 32 bit version,
unless somebody knows a way.
2) If I do reinstall and go with the 32 bit versioin, I have heard there is
problems with that version supporting more than 2 GB of RAM, I now have 4 GB
of DDR2 in my system

Thanks

Rick

On Wednesday, October 10, 2007 10:56 AM
John Barnes wrote:

1. You will have to do a clean install to revert to 32-bit OEM. 2.
1. You will have to do a clean install to revert to 32-bit OEM. 2. You
will not necessarily see all the ram, but you should have no problems. Some
have experienced problems installing Vista with more than 2gig of ram, so if
you have a problem, uninstall 2gig for the install and then put them back
in. I know of no problems after the install has succeeded in having 4gig
installed

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

On Wednesday, October 10, 2007 1:08 PM
Dominic Payer wrote:

Re: 64 bit versus 32 bit RAM
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777 describes the problem

The hotfix is installed when the Vista updates from Windows Update applied,
so Windows Update should be visited before the last 2GB of RAM are
installed

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

On Monday, November 05, 2007 10:59 PM
broccolibee wrote:

If I install Vista 64-bit with 4 gig of ram in the system, will I encounter
If I install Vista 64-bit with 4 gig of ram in the system, will I encounter
that stop error during the install

I was going to say NO, but that MS KB article you linked to includes a 64
bit version of the hot fix!

So will I encounter that stop error with 4 gig of ram, when I install the
64-bit Vista

Many thanks in advance

"Dominic Payer" wrote:

On Tuesday, November 06, 2007 2:08 AM
Dominic Payer wrote:

It depends whether your system meets the conditions specified in the
It depends whether your system meets the conditions specified in the
knowledgebase article. Many systems need to be reduced to 2GB for the
install, some will install fine with 4GB or more

The easiest way to avoid problems is to reduce the RAM to 2GB for the
install. If you then apply all relevant Windows Updates the 929777 update
will be applied. You can then replace all the RAM and carry on

The problem is seen most often on 64 bit systems because 32-bit systems
cannot usually get full benefit from 4GB of RAM and anyone with more than
4GB of RAM must use 64 bit anyway

"broccolibeef" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

..NET Compact Framework Kill All Programs
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...mework-ki.aspx

Charlie Russel - MVP

This is a very old thread, and it's on a newsgroup, not some "forum". That
being said, if you got the copy of Vista as an OEM version from HP, then
your only answer is to buy the 32-bit version, since the OEM version is
bit-specific. If you have a retail version of the software, you can order
the alternate disk from Microsoft. If you have to buy a version, I strongly
suggest getting Win7. In many ways, I like it a good deal better than Vista,
and since you're going to have to do a complete, full, clean install, you
might as well move to Win7.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

"ananda chidambaram" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>
> On Tuesday, November 06, 2007 2:08 AM
> Dominic Payer wrote:
>
> It depends whether your system meets the conditions specified in the
> It depends whether your system meets the conditions specified in the
> knowledgebase article. Many systems need to be reduced to 2GB for the
> install, some will install fine with 4GB or more.
>
> The easiest way to avoid problems is to reduce the RAM to 2GB for the
> install. If you then apply all relevant Windows Updates the 929777 update
> will be applied. You can then replace all the RAM and carry on.
>
> The problem is seen most often on 64 bit systems because 32-bit systems
> cannot usually get full benefit from 4GB of RAM and anyone with more than
> 4GB of RAM must use 64 bit anyway.
>

> "broccolibeef" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> .NET Compact Framework Kill All Programs

Bo Persson

Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
> This is a very old thread, and it's on a newsgroup, not some
> "forum". That being said, if you got the copy of Vista as an OEM
> version from HP, then your only answer is to buy the 32-bit
> version, since the OEM version is bit-specific. If you have a
> retail version of the software, you can order the alternate disk
> from Microsoft. If you have to buy a version, I strongly suggest
> getting Win7. In many ways, I like it a good deal better than
> Vista, and since you're going to have to do a complete, full, clean
> install, you might as well move to Win7.

Just want to add that, depending on where you buy it, HP can mean
either Hewlett-Packard or Home Premium.

I have recently installed a Windows 7 HP Upgrade on my Dell machine.
Guess what HP means there!

Agree with everything else - go for Win 7 if you have to reinstall
anyway.

Bo Persson