Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > XP sp2 Network Problem

XP sp2 Network Problem

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FvaW1oaW4=?=

Since installing sp2, my ad hoc peer to peer network has not worked properly!
In 'View available wireless networks' I can see the network and it shows
connected but, I cannot see the other pcs in the network in 'Network
Connections' nor can I now access the internet from the other pcs in the
network, only from the host.

I have run home network setup wizzard and the wireless setup wizzard more
times than I care to remember since installing sp2 but to no avail! Anyone
any ideas on how to resolve this conundrum??

Any help would be appreciated.

Malke

Caoimhin wrote:

> Since installing sp2, my ad hoc peer to peer network has not worked
> properly!
> In 'View available wireless networks' I can see the network and it
> shows
> connected but, I cannot see the other pcs in the network in 'Network
> Connections' nor can I now access the internet from the other pcs in
> the network, only from the host.
>
> I have run home network setup wizzard and the wireless setup wizzard
> more
> times than I care to remember since installing sp2 but to no avail!
> Anyone any ideas on how to resolve this conundrum??
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Service Pack 2 automatically enables the Windows Firewall. If you are
not running a third-party firewall, go to the Windows Firewall applet
in Control Panel and enable File & Printer Sharing on the Exceptions
tab. If you are using a third-party firewall (and have properly
configured it to allow your lan traffic as Trusted), then turn the
Windows Firewall off. You don't want two firewalls running, and a
third-party program will be better than the WF.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

=?Utf-8?B?c2F3YW4=?=

I have the same problem, but it's not Windows Firewall, since that is
disabled, and I am using only Norton's Firewall. My host computer just won't
connect to the network, but my client computers can connect, but (obviously)
do not receive any information. Hence, I'm unable to connect to the net
through the wireless connection as I could before I installed SP2. I also
have a LAN running within one office. The LAN and the Wireless networks have
been bridged (what that means I'm not entirely sure as I didn't bridge
them!). Any help would be appreciated, as my desk is in another office and
to use the net I need to keep swapping where I'm working! BTW All the comps
are running XP Pro SP2.

"Malke" wrote:

> Caoimhin wrote:
>
> > Since installing sp2, my ad hoc peer to peer network has not worked
> > properly!
> > In 'View available wireless networks' I can see the network and it
> > shows
> > connected but, I cannot see the other pcs in the network in 'Network
> > Connections' nor can I now access the internet from the other pcs in
> > the network, only from the host.
> >
> > I have run home network setup wizzard and the wireless setup wizzard
> > more
> > times than I care to remember since installing sp2 but to no avail!
> > Anyone any ideas on how to resolve this conundrum??
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated.

> Service Pack 2 automatically enables the Windows Firewall. If you are
> not running a third-party firewall, go to the Windows Firewall applet
> in Control Panel and enable File & Printer Sharing on the Exceptions
> tab. If you are using a third-party firewall (and have properly
> configured it to allow your lan traffic as Trusted), then turn the
> Windows Firewall off. You don't want two firewalls running, and a
> third-party program will be better than the WF.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"

Malke

sawan wrote:

> I have the same problem, but it's not Windows Firewall, since that is
> disabled, and I am using only Norton's Firewall. My host computer just
> won't connect to the network, but my client computers can connect, but
> (obviously) do not receive any information. Hence, I'm unable to
> connect to the net through the wireless connection as I could before I
> installed SP2. I also have a LAN running within one office. The LAN
> and the Wireless networks have been bridged (what that means I'm not
> entirely sure as I didn't bridge
> them!). Any help would be appreciated, as my desk is in another
> office and to use the net I need to keep swapping where I'm working!
> BTW All the comps are running XP Pro SP2.

Please do not hijack someone else's thread, even if you think the
problem is similar. Doing this makes it very difficult to help all
parties. Create a new post with all pertinent details.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"

=?Utf-8?B?c2F3YW4=?=

I did not think I was 'hijacking' someone's thread. I have the same problem
and what I meant was that I tried your solution of disabling Windows Firewall.