Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Is the Epson V700 / V750 the best compromise?

Is the Epson V700 / V750 the best compromise?

Obakesan

Terve Toni

>I'd add two other points:
>- Flatbeds don't have an autofocus mechanism (not that I know of; height-
> adjustable film holders do exist, though)
>- Flatbeds don't seem to read RGB and IR channels in the same pass; this
> contributes to the factor that Digital ICE doesn't work as well as in
> a dedicated film scanner

not to mention the different light source (I don't think they're using the
cathode to generate the IR)

certainly my 4870 ICE is hardly worth writing home about.

>Also, flatbeds have 2 more glass surfaces to keep clean. Of course,
>using the glass carrier of the Nikon or Minolta Multipro means you
>have four extra glass surfaces to keep clean!

wonder if the dust makes itself visible at those distances (out of the focal
range).

on another note, where should I be looking around for second hand scanning
gear here in Finland? Huuto has no automated notifications like eBay, and eBay
leaves me dealing with Germans and Pomms. The Germans seem to want to get
revenge for being ousted in WW2 with the postage rates, and the Pomms seem
reluctant to use anything except Royal Mail (which costs too much too)

See Ya
(when bandwidth gets better

Chris Eastwood
Photographer, Programmer
Motorcyclist and dingbat

please remove undies for reply

David J. Littleboy

"Obakesan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> HiYa
>
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "David J.
> Littleboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/40078325/original

> dave, is this a comparison between a V750 and a Nikon?

As the fine print says, it's the 4870...

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Obakesan

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "David J. Littleboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Obakesan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> HiYa
>>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "David J.
>> Littleboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/40078325/original

>> dave, is this a comparison between a V750 and a Nikon?

>As the fine print says, it's the 4870...

yeah ... moments after I posted, I scrolled down ... voila!

too late to withdraw the post

I don't know how come I've missed this page before. If I see differences like
that on scans of 35mm negative (and why not?) with a Nikon 4000 then I might
defer buying anything more in the DSLR range and stick with just my 10D and my
film body. Unless you know where I can get a 5D for "go-man-en"

See Ya
(when bandwidth gets better

Chris Eastwood
Photographer, Programmer
Motorcyclist and dingbat

please remove undies for reply

David J. Littleboy

> I don't know how come I've missed this page before. If I see differences
> like
> that on scans of 35mm negative (and why not?) with a Nikon 4000 then I
> might
> defer buying anything more in the DSLR range and stick with just my 10D
> and my
> film body. Unless you know where I can get a 5D for "go-man-en"

My take on the Nikon 8000 (the same technology as the 4000) is that by noise
reducing and downsampling (and sharpening) I can create files that are
roughly as clean and sharp and noise free as 5D files. (I should put up some
examples...)

The only question is: how far do I have to downsample?

I find that I can reliably get very nice files by NR and downsampling to
2200 ppi. From a 6x7 frame, this is 27 very tasty MP. More than twice the
5D. Killer 16x20 prints. But from 35mm it's barely 6MP. (I should put up
some examples...)

IMHO, it's conceiveably that one could do somewhat better.

But the 5D is essentially a 3000 ppi scan of 24x36mm at 5D quality.

I simply do not believe that one is going to get 3000 ppi 5D quality pixels
from scans of film.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Obakesan

HiYa

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "David J.
Littleboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My take on the Nikon 8000 (the same technology as the 4000) is that by noise
>reducing and downsampling (and sharpening) I can create files that are
>roughly as clean and sharp and noise free as 5D files. (I should put up some
>examples...)

really? which format? Surely not 35mm??

>I find that I can reliably get very nice files by NR and downsampling to
>2200 ppi. From a 6x7 frame, this is 27 very tasty MP. More than twice the
>5D.

ohh ... probably you mean from that one...

> But from 35mm it's barely 6MP. (I should put up
>some examples...)

well, if you have time, yes please but don't break into schedules for it

>I simply do not believe that one is going to get 3000 ppi 5D quality pixels
>from scans of film.

me neither (I suspect that the 4000dpi scans downsampled to 2700 and compared
to the 5D might come close to a downsampled 5D image But hey, I often eat
mashed potatoes and mince balls made at home too cos its cheaper

When I can justify spending the bucks on a 5D (or equivalent) I'll do it, but
(as you know) I juggle a few formats and that one ( [35mm|Digital] SLR) just
doesn't get used as much as my compact digital and my 4x5. Besides the
argument that a 1D might get as good a result as my 4x5 (for me) the money
spend isn't worth the gains.

anyway, we're getting into 'personal bias' territory, and that's all different
equations to maths

thanks for the update

See Ya
(when bandwidth gets better

Chris Eastwood
Photographer, Programmer
Motorcyclist and dingbat

please remove undies for reply

Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen

Don't know about Finland, but this site is located in Denmark and is
primarily geared towards the printing industry. I have seen some
interesting scanners go for fair prices:
http://www.printers2printers.com
Another possibility is this Norwegian site:
http://foto.no/cgi-bin/bruktmarked/index.cgi

--
C++: The power, elegance and simplicity of a hand grenade.

Obakesan

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen <ole-hjalmar.kristensen@substitute_employer_here.com> wrote:
>Don't know about Finland, but this site is located in Denmark and is
>primarily geared towards the printing industry. I have seen some
>interesting scanners go for fair prices:
>http://www.printers2printers.com
>Another possibility is this Norwegian site:
>http://foto.no/cgi-bin/bruktmarked/index.cgi

thanks