Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Reality Check info

Reality Check info

CoffeeMan

Hi

I got a bachelor in Management Information System in 1988. Following that,
I got a MBA and followed doctoral studies in unrelated fields
(international management and political sciences). Since 1990 and up to
very recently, I worked both as university teacher and international
consultant in management.

During all these years, I not only closely followed technology changes and
self-trained myself to security, network, server deployment, vpn, backup
strategies, cms deployment, etc, but also regularly made few bucks with
small IT consultation contracts. I've also been the part-time IT
administrator of a small daycare for the last two years.

I always learned fast and by myself. It's almost a trademark for me.

I am looking for a career change. I'm fed up with teaching.

Although I am considered a "computer wizard" by many, the IT jobs I seek
unfortunately require more than "self-learning" abilities but real formal
certifications like MSCE. I want that certification.

As I understand it, I just have to self-study material at home and schedule
exams with PearsonVue to a local test center for a total cost of 750$
(6x150$) to get the certification.

Considering that I am already familiar with significant parts of the examen
content, that I can have free access to most self-training materials and
that I have strong abilities learning by myself:

1) do you believe self-learning is sufficent to get the certification?
2) what timeframe would be realistic to complete the certification? (my
guess is between 6 months at best and a year at worst)
3) Will the certification be automatically granted at the end of the sixth
exam or are there additionnal conditions/procedures to be followed?

Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge with me. I spent some time
reading MS webpages about certifications but some wordings and informations
are more confusing than enlightening. This is my first certification ever.

=?Utf-8?B?Z3RyaWdodA==?=

Dude I rely feel sorry how things turned out for ya’
Considering the ongoing knowledge, study and education u had like MBA,
bachelor in Management Information System, worked both as university teacher
and international consultant in management. etc.. -----

dmn... if I ware u I would be the head of NASA by now, and not someone
who’s asking How can I become a Microsoft certified engineer. ;- MCSE is
for uneducated people who want to advance their career and catch up with the
new world job struggle. but if u want to regret leaving your current field of
work. then get your MCSE and go to India to look for MCSE jobs!

nowadays. people been unemployed for so long that they are rushing to get
MCSE hoping to qualify them for the lowest IT job they come across. But
unfortunately neither works!.

Good luck
--------
I’m outsourced- be back on 2020
----------------------------------------=

"CoffeeMan" wrote:

> Hi
>
> I got a bachelor in Management Information System in 1988. Following that,
> I got a MBA and followed doctoral studies in unrelated fields
> (international management and political sciences). Since 1990 and up to
> very recently, I worked both as university teacher and international
> consultant in management.
>
> During all these years, I not only closely followed technology changes and
> self-trained myself to security, network, server deployment, vpn, backup
> strategies, cms deployment, etc, but also regularly made few bucks with
> small IT consultation contracts. I've also been the part-time IT
> administrator of a small daycare for the last two years.

Patrick Dickey

Hi CoffeeMan (my answers are inline)
CoffeeMan wrote:
> Hi
>
> I got a bachelor in Management Information System in 1988. Following that,
> I got a MBA and followed doctoral studies in unrelated fields
> (international management and political sciences). Since 1990 and up to
> very recently, I worked both as university teacher and international
> consultant in management.
>
> During all these years, I not only closely followed technology changes and
> self-trained myself to security, network, server deployment, vpn, backup
> strategies, cms deployment, etc, but also regularly made few bucks with
> small IT consultation contracts. I've also been the part-time IT
> administrator of a small daycare for the last two years.
>
> I always learned fast and by myself. It's almost a trademark for me.
>
> I am looking for a career change. I'm fed up with teaching.
>
> Although I am considered a "computer wizard" by many, the IT jobs I seek
> unfortunately require more than "self-learning" abilities but real formal
> certifications like MSCE. I want that certification.
>
> As I understand it, I just have to self-study material at home and schedule
> exams with PearsonVue to a local test center for a total cost of 750$
> (6x150$) to get the certification.
>
> Considering that I am already familiar with significant parts of the examen
> content, that I can have free access to most self-training materials and
> that I have strong abilities learning by myself:
>
> 1) do you believe self-learning is sufficent to get the certification?

In your case, Yes. I believe you can do it by self-learning. In fact,
from my reading in this newsgroup, that's what most of the posters
recommend. Get the books, and make a lab.

> 2) what timeframe would be realistic to complete the certification? (my
> guess is between 6 months at best and a year at worst)

I would agree with the timeframe. If you already have a lot of
experience in what you're trying to learn, you'll pick it up quicker.
Mainly the certifications are just 'proof' of what experience you
already have. That's not to say that there isn't learning/studying
involved. Just that if you've been putting it into practice, you know
the material.

> 3) Will the certification be automatically granted at the end of the sixth
> exam or are there additionnal conditions/procedures to be followed?

I believe, that it will be automatically granted. For each exam that
you pass, you'll receive a MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional)
certificate. When you've met the requirements for the MCSE, they'll
give you that certificate as well.

Just make sure that you keep your information updated on the MCP
website. (You'll get access to this after you pass the first exam).

--
Patrick Dickey <(E-Mail Removed)>
http://www.pats-computer-solutions.com

=?Utf-8?B?dGVmb2xleTI0QGVhcnRobGluay5uZXQ=?=

My name is Tom Foley age 48 now, In 1999 searching to get out of retail after
20 yrs I got the hairbrain idea to quit drinking alcohol get out of retail
and go to college, well I did all that got a student loan and got my MCSE
well I did manage to get a contract job thru Kelly Services at GE in Ft Myers
for a big 9 bucks an hour then Sept 11 happened and I am back in the retail
now for 4 yrs nowstill have a student loan for 20 grand I never made a
payment on yet and struggling hard. I hope Im not the only one out here
please respond.
Thanks,
Tom Foley

"CoffeeMan" wrote:

> Hi
>
> I got a bachelor in Management Information System in 1988. Following that,
> I got a MBA and followed doctoral studies in unrelated fields
> (international management and political sciences). Since 1990 and up to
> very recently, I worked both as university teacher and international
> consultant in management.
>
> During all these years, I not only closely followed technology changes and
> self-trained myself to security, network, server deployment, vpn, backup
> strategies, cms deployment, etc, but also regularly made few bucks with
> small IT consultation contracts. I've also been the part-time IT
> administrator of a small daycare for the last two years.
>
> I always learned fast and by myself. It's almost a trademark for me.
>
> I am looking for a career change. I'm fed up with teaching.
>
> Although I am considered a "computer wizard" by many, the IT jobs I seek
> unfortunately require more than "self-learning" abilities but real formal
> certifications like MSCE. I want that certification.
>
> As I understand it, I just have to self-study material at home and schedule
> exams with PearsonVue to a local test center for a total cost of 750$
> (6x150$) to get the certification.
>
> Considering that I am already familiar with significant parts of the examen
> content, that I can have free access to most self-training materials and
> that I have strong abilities learning by myself:
>
> 1) do you believe self-learning is sufficent to get the certification?
> 2) what timeframe would be realistic to complete the certification? (my
> guess is between 6 months at best and a year at worst)
> 3) Will the certification be automatically granted at the end of the sixth
> exam or are there additionnal conditions/procedures to be followed?
>
> Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge with me. I spent some time
> reading MS webpages about certifications but some wordings and informations
> are more confusing than enlightening. This is my first certification ever.

Kline Sphere

>My name is Tom Foley age 48 now, In 1999 searching to get out of retail after
>20 yrs I got the hairbrain idea to quit drinking alcohol get out of retail
>and go to college

Bit late in the day! College is for young spotty dudes who have just
discovered girls!

You should be thinking of retirement, not changing careers. I'm
outahere when hit the big five-O, for a stress filled life of skiing,
fishing, golf and 'drinking alcohol'.

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

kpg

CoffeeMan <(E-Mail Removed)> said something like

Dear CoffeeMan,

Why remove any doubt as to your usefulness to society by
pursuing an MCSE when you have such good academic
qualification?

Your average MCSEs are a dime a dozen, and that's about the
pay scale too. Genuinely Qualified MCSE are rare and without
the actual experience, you won't be able to pull it off.

You want a change of career? Fine. There are no doubt
numerous organizations out there that need intelligent
people to fill a wide range of positions.

Buy a good career change book and go from there.

kp "0.02" g

Neil

did you hear CoffeeMan <(E-Mail Removed)> say in

> CoffeeMan <(E-Mail Removed)>

I likes the cuts of your jib. haven't read the post. just like the
handle....

--
The InterNeil MCNGP#30

- My 12 step program: never be more than twelve steps away from chocolate.

TechGeekPro

On Jan 23, 2006 at 2:54am "CoffeeMan" blathered:

> <snip>

Self-study is best.

--
TGP MCNGP #100100

We can rebuild MCNGP.com. We have the technology.
Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster.

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US

LRM

"Kline Sphere" <.@> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Bit late in the day! College is for young spotty dudes who have just
> discovered girls!

Then I must have really looked out of place when I went back to school at
37.

--
LRM
MCNGP 7^2

Neil

did you hear "LRM" <(E-Mail Removed)> say in
news:#(E-Mail Removed):

> Then I must have really hawt when I went back to school
> at 37.

ifypfy

--
The InterNeil MCNGP#30

- I came real close to seeing Elvis once, but my shovel broke.