Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Inactivation of Windows Vista 64 bit

Inactivation of Windows Vista 64 bit

=?Utf-8?B?RXJpYyBHYXJyZXR0?=

The very slightest of hardware changes has resulted in inactivation of
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit edition several times. Updating system BIOS,
video graphics adapter BIOS, adding a new disk to a redundant array and
extending the size of the system drive partition, etc., have all resulted in
the unfortunate inactivation of Windows and subsequent failure to reactivate
automatically requiring yet another call to the product activation center for
a new product identification key. Although I certainly understand the need to
protect proprietary rights, this has become an insurmountable effort and
problem for Microsoft customer who pay for the products and services that
they receive. This issue needs to be resolved as soon as possible.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com....64bit.general

PvdG42

"Eric Garrett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The very slightest of hardware changes has resulted in inactivation of
> Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit edition several times. Updating system BIOS,
> video graphics adapter BIOS, adding a new disk to a redundant array and
> extending the size of the system drive partition, etc., have all resulted
> in
> the unfortunate inactivation of Windows and subsequent failure to
> reactivate
> automatically requiring yet another call to the product activation center
> for
> a new product identification key. Although I certainly understand the need
> protect proprietary rights, this has become an insurmountable effort and
> problem for Microsoft customer who pay for the products and services that
> they receive. This issue needs to be resolved as soon as possible.
>
> ----------------
> this
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com....64bit.general

I would probably not post this if the original were in the Vista group, as
it is infested with anti-Vista trolls who will turn any constructive post
into a travesty of mindless name calling, but here I'll agree that the
sensitivity level needs to be adjusted, not only in 64 bit editions, but in
32 bit editions as well.
BTW, I voted "Yes".

Re-Format Your Computer And Install Either 64 Bit Windows Server 2008
Release Candidate 0, 64 Bit Open Source Linux Ubuntu 7.04 RTW, Or 64 Bit
Open Source Linux Ubuntu 7.10 Official Beta, Just FYI.

P.S. 64 Bit Open Source Linux Ubuntu Contains A No Activation Needed, Feel
Free To Share This CD With Other Computer Users Policy, Just FYI.

"Eric Garrett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The very slightest of hardware changes has resulted in inactivation of
> Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit edition several times. Updating system BIOS,
> video graphics adapter BIOS, adding a new disk to a redundant array and
> extending the size of the system drive partition, etc., have all resulted
> in
> the unfortunate inactivation of Windows and subsequent failure to
> reactivate
> automatically requiring yet another call to the product activation center
> for
> a new product identification key. Although I certainly understand the need
> protect proprietary rights, this has become an insurmountable effort and
> problem for Microsoft customer who pay for the products and services that
> they receive. This issue needs to be resolved as soon as possible.
>
> ----------------
> this
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com....64bit.general

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Eric:
I have the following table that I once copied from somewhere in the net
(can't recall where) that has a "score" for each change you make in your
hardware.
Component Class Name Default Weight
CD-ROM/CD-RW/DVD-ROM 1
IDE Adaptor 3
Physical OS Hard Drive Serial # 11
Display Adaptor 1
SCSI Adaptor 2
Audio Adaptor 2
Network Adaptor MAC Address 2
Processor 3
RAM Amount Range (i.e. 0-512mb, 512-1GB) 1
BIOS ID ('0' always matches) 9

Reactivation is required when you reach the 25 points limit.
Carlos

"Eric Garrett" wrote:

> The very slightest of hardware changes has resulted in inactivation of
> Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit edition several times. Updating system BIOS,
> video graphics adapter BIOS, adding a new disk to a redundant array and
> extending the size of the system drive partition, etc., have all resulted in
> the unfortunate inactivation of Windows and subsequent failure to reactivate
> automatically requiring yet another call to the product activation center for
> a new product identification key. Although I certainly understand the need to
> protect proprietary rights, this has become an insurmountable effort and
> problem for Microsoft customer who pay for the products and services that
> they receive. This issue needs to be resolved as soon as possible.
>
> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com....64bit.general

PvdG42

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Eric:
> I have the following table that I once copied from somewhere in the net
> (can't recall where) that has a "score" for each change you make in your
> hardware.
> Component Class Name Default Weight
> CD-ROM/CD-RW/DVD-ROM 1
> IDE Adaptor 3
> Physical OS Hard Drive Serial # 11
> Display Adaptor 1
> SCSI Adaptor 2
> Audio Adaptor 2
> Network Adaptor MAC Address 2
> Processor 3
> RAM Amount Range (i.e. 0-512mb, 512-1GB) 1
> BIOS ID ('0' always matches) 9
>
> Reactivation is required when you reach the 25 points limit.
> Carlos

Do you have a link for this, and are you sure the score table and threshold
are for Vista?
I see many reports where simply changing one component, like a video card or
CPU had triggered a reactivation in Vista. There are also numerous reports
of a BIOS update with no other changes triggering reactivation. These
reports seem to be at odds with your table.

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Hi:
Check this page
http://kb.wisc.edu/page.php?id=5294
under the section "Activation Hardware Tolerance".
You will find a table similar (or equal) to the one I posted.
I certainly know for sure that there have been cases where re-activation has
been asked just by changing the hard disk driver (just the driver, not the
physical disk), but I cannot account for bugs in Vista reactivation logic.

Carlos

"PvdG42" wrote:

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Eric:
> > I have the following table that I once copied from somewhere in the net
> > (can't recall where) that has a "score" for each change you make in your
> > hardware.
> > Component Class Name Default Weight
> > CD-ROM/CD-RW/DVD-ROM 1
> > IDE Adaptor 3
> > Physical OS Hard Drive Serial # 11
> > Display Adaptor 1
> > SCSI Adaptor 2
> > Audio Adaptor 2
> > Network Adaptor MAC Address 2
> > Processor 3
> > RAM Amount Range (i.e. 0-512mb, 512-1GB) 1
> > BIOS ID ('0' always matches) 9
> >
> > Reactivation is required when you reach the 25 points limit.
> > Carlos
> >

> Do you have a link for this, and are you sure the score table and threshold
> are for Vista?
> I see many reports where simply changing one component, like a video card or
> CPU had triggered a reactivation in Vista. There are also numerous reports
> of a BIOS update with no other changes triggering reactivation. These
> reports seem to be at odds with your table.

John Barnes

I haven't seen a later algorithm, and yes it is (was) for Vista. XP was
different. Many report the need to reactivate with what would be 1 point
changes in this list.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=131

"PvdG42" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23MFW$(E-Mail Removed)...
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Eric:
>> I have the following table that I once copied from somewhere in the net
>> (can't recall where) that has a "score" for each change you make in your
>> hardware.
>> Component Class Name Default Weight
>> CD-ROM/CD-RW/DVD-ROM 1
>> IDE Adaptor 3
>> Physical OS Hard Drive Serial # 11
>> Display Adaptor 1
>> SCSI Adaptor 2
>> Audio Adaptor 2
>> Network Adaptor MAC Address 2
>> Processor 3
>> RAM Amount Range (i.e. 0-512mb, 512-1GB) 1
>> BIOS ID ('0' always matches) 9
>>
>> Reactivation is required when you reach the 25 points limit.
>> Carlos
>>

> Do you have a link for this, and are you sure the score table and
> threshold are for Vista?
> I see many reports where simply changing one component, like a video card
> or CPU had triggered a reactivation in Vista. There are also numerous
> reports of a BIOS update with no other changes triggering reactivation.
> These reports seem to be at odds with your table.

PvdG42

"PvdG42" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23MFW$(E-Mail Removed)...
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Eric:
>> I have the following table that I once copied from somewhere in the net
>> (can't recall where) that has a "score" for each change you make in your
>> hardware.
>> Component Class Name Default Weight
>> CD-ROM/CD-RW/DVD-ROM 1
>> IDE Adaptor 3
>> Physical OS Hard Drive Serial # 11
>> Display Adaptor 1
>> SCSI Adaptor 2
>> Audio Adaptor 2
>> Network Adaptor MAC Address 2
>> Processor 3
>> RAM Amount Range (i.e. 0-512mb, 512-1GB) 1
>> BIOS ID ('0' always matches) 9
>>
>> Reactivation is required when you reach the 25 points limit.
>> Carlos
>>

> Do you have a link for this, and are you sure the score table and
> threshold are for Vista?
> I see many reports where simply changing one component, like a video card
> or CPU had triggered a reactivation in Vista. There are also numerous
> reports of a BIOS update with no other changes triggering reactivation.
> These reports seem to be at odds with your table.

Thank you both, Carlos and John, for the links. Wish I could be sure it
really worked that way, as I want to upgrade the video card on one Vista box
here without any hassle

John Barnes

I realise it can be a little of a hassle to use telephone update, but it
usually takes 6-10 minutes max and would be no problem for only a video card
change. As Carlos said, sometimes a MOBO hd chipset driver will trigger it.

news:e%(E-Mail Removed)...