Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > BSOD when enabling wireless

BSOD when enabling wireless

Johannes Huber

I had the same issue. Here is what I did to solve it:
- Find out what WLAN card you use (hardware manager)
- Google the name / type of WLAN card and add "driver"
- Use the WLAN card manufacturer's link and search for the latest driver (chances are that you have an old driver)
- Download and install that driver
- Enjoy your wireless connection again!

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

FY, here are the original post:

I took my laptop on a business trip, and tried to access open wifi spots at
LAX and SFO. Both times I got a BSOD as soon as I enabled wireless, with
the error message IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. So that was annoying that I
couldn't use wifi, but it was even more annoying that I could only boot up
in safe mode w/o networking after that -- and without networking I couldn't
disable my wireless connection, so I was limited to safe mode until I got
out of range of the wifi.

* Any guesses why the airport wifi spots are killing my system? I've used
wireless at home with our WRT54G router with no problems. Laptop is XP
Home SP2.

* Is there any way to disable wireless while in safe mode, so I could boot
up normally without wireless?

Thanks,
Gary

I would check if there is any new driver for the NIC. Or this post may help,

Wireless BSOD DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...hp?p=3019#3019

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
http://www.HowToNetworking.com
"Johannes Huber" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I had the same issue. Here is what I did to solve it:
> - Find out what WLAN card you use (hardware manager)
> - Google the name / type of WLAN card and add "driver"
> - Use the WLAN card manufacturer's link and search for the latest driver
> (chances are that you have an old driver)
> - Download and install that driver
> - Enjoy your wireless connection again!

Pavel A.

Please, report the issue to the place where you got the wi-fi driver
from (the laptop mfg, the wi-fi mfg).
Would be great if you can provide a crash dump.
If customers don't complain, bugs won't be fixed, that's how it works...

Regards,
--PA