Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > once more... an HDR possibility

once more... an HDR possibility

stuseven

+ just for those who might want to try HDR or
associated softwares, it occurs to me to ask the
following here. Are there higher end / middle end
digitals which will auto-record a preprogrammed series
of shots... one for lower light areas / one for middle /
one for brighter areas, or similar ? I understand there
will be a short delay between exposures... also, my
understanding of the HDR process is limited... three
may or may not be sufficient to produce such a picture.

I dont know... couldnt we accomplish all this with
processed variations of just ONE exposure ?

just wondering

stuseven

oops... while all this HDR business is new to me, it seems it
has been a hot topic for some time... to at least the second part
of my question, I see whole galleries full of triple conversions from
RAW files to an HDR result... nice !

To me... this is, within the HDR area itself... those storybook
skies and panoramas from three separate exposures are still
unbeatable... stretching it all out of one image should actually more
please the purists... thats just plain richer imaging... nothing
artificial
about it.

Matt Ion

stuseven wrote:
> + just for those who might want to try HDR or
> associated softwares, it occurs to me to ask the
> following here. Are there higher end / middle end
> digitals which will auto-record a preprogrammed series
> of shots... one for lower light areas / one for middle /
> one for brighter areas, or similar ?

Absolutely - the feature you're looking for is called "exposure
bracketing" and is pretty much standard on all SLRs (digital or film)
and most "semi-pro" level P&S cameras.

> I understand there
> will be a short delay between exposures...

That's why you use a tripod

> also, my
> understanding of the HDR process is limited... three
> may or may not be sufficient to produce such a picture.

The more exposures you have to work with, the better your results may
be, especially when there's a LOT of dynamic range in the scene.

> I dont know... couldnt we accomplish all this with
> processed variations of just ONE exposure ?

Many have... it works better using RAW formats, which at 12-bit or
higher color depth, contain more dynamic-range information than JPEG,
TIFF, and other 8-bit image formats allow.

Psygnosis - Silent Running

"stuseven" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>+ just for those who might want to try HDR or
> associated softwares, it occurs to me to ask the
> following here. Are there higher end / middle end
> digitals which will auto-record a preprogrammed series
> of shots... one for lower light areas / one for middle /
> one for brighter areas, or similar ? I understand there
> will be a short delay between exposures... also, my
> understanding of the HDR process is limited... three
> may or may not be sufficient to produce such a picture.
>
> I dont know... couldnt we accomplish all this with
> processed variations of just ONE exposure ?
>
> just wondering

It is called exposure bracketing. Most cameras can do this. Most low end
cameras allow for one image right on, one over exposed and one under
exposed.

Some higher end cameras allow for 5 image or more in bracketing mode. One
such is the Pentax K10D, it does 3 or 5. Though this is something you can do
manually and generate a dozen or more image exposed 1/3, 1/4 or 1/2 stop
apart.

Psygnosis