Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > Can change UART data port from 8 bits to 16 bits?

Can change UART data port from 8 bits to 16 bits?

Zhi

Hi, I am using the UART with 8 bits data width transmission very
well. But the problem is if my application which is connected to the
UART is 16 bits data width instead of 8 bits width. Is there any
solution to solve it?

Mark McDougall

Zhi wrote:

> Hi, I am using the UART with 8 bits data width transmission very
> well. But the problem is if my application which is connected to the
> UART is 16 bits data width instead of 8 bits width. Is there any
> solution to solve it?

No doubt, but you give insufficient data for your problem.

I'm assuming you're using a soft-core UART written in VHDL, given the
newsgroup? I'm also assuming the microprocessor interface is the '16 bits
data width' you're talking about?

Usually it's perfectly adequate to connect an 8-bit peripheral to a 16-bit
bus and simply leave half the bus dangling... you just need to note the
register addressing implications (if any).

Regards,

--
Mark McDougall, Engineer
21-25 King St, Rockdale, 2216

Mike Treseler

Zhi wrote:
> Hi, I am using the UART with 8 bits data width transmission very
> well. But the problem is if my application which is connected to the
> UART is 16 bits data width instead of 8 bits width. Is there any
> solution to solve it?

Search for
char_len_g
in the reference design here