Computer #1 DESKTOP DELL DIMENSIONS. motorola sbg900.
windows xp home. cable internet access connected.
(computer #1 is connected and works great)

Computer #2 DESKTOP HP PAVILION. Belkins g plus wireless
adapter. windows 98 SE. picking up an "excellent" signal from the
motorola sbg900 on Computer #1. (computer #2 is connected but cannot browse
the internet)

When I double click the Internet Explorer button on the desktop of Computer
#2 the only page that will open is one that says "The web page is not
available etc." and "Cannot find server or dns error" Can anyone tell me
what i need to do to get Computer #2 to browse the internet?

Here is the winipcfg dialog for Computer #2
Host Name Joe blow
DNS Servers
Node Type Boadcast
netbios scope id
ip routing enabled WINS proxy enabled
NetBIOS resolution Uses DNS
PPP adapter
adapter address 44.43.49.444.00
IP address 0.0.0.0
subnet mask 0.0.0.0
default gateway
dhcp server 255.255.255.255
Primary wins server
secondary wins server
lease obtained
lease expires
-------------------------------
Most of the lines are blank.

Cany anyone help me here? This is driving me crazy because it seems so
simple but alas I cannot figure it out.
Thanks for any help.

--
jennifer

Doug Sherman [MVP]

This appears to be the winipcfg output for a modem (PPP) adapter. Try
running winipcfg again and change the focus to the Belkin adapter. Also, if
you have Internet Connection Sharing enabled on a dialup connection, disable
ICS.

Doug Sherman
MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

"jennifer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Computer #1 DESKTOP DELL DIMENSIONS. motorola sbg900.
> windows xp home. cable internet access connected.
> (computer #1 is connected and works great)
>
> Computer #2 DESKTOP HP PAVILION. Belkins g plus wireless
> adapter. windows 98 SE. picking up an "excellent" signal from

the
> motorola sbg900 on Computer #1. (computer #2 is connected but cannot

browse
> the internet)
>
> When I double click the Internet Explorer button on the desktop of

Computer
> #2 the only page that will open is one that says "The web page is not
> available etc." and "Cannot find server or dns error" Can anyone tell me
> what i need to do to get Computer #2 to browse the internet?
>
> Here is the winipcfg dialog for Computer #2
> Host Name Joe blow
> DNS Servers
> Node Type Boadcast
> netbios scope id
> ip routing enabled WINS proxy enabled
> NetBIOS resolution Uses DNS
> PPP adapter
> adapter address 44.43.49.444.00
> IP address 0.0.0.0
> subnet mask 0.0.0.0
> default gateway
> dhcp server 255.255.255.255
> Primary wins server
> secondary wins server
> lease obtained
> lease expires
> -------------------------------
> Most of the lines are blank.
>
> Cany anyone help me here? This is driving me crazy because it seems so
> simple but alas I cannot figure it out.
> Thanks for any help.
>

> --
> jennifer

=?Utf-8?B?amVubmlmZXI=?=

Winipcfg doesn't show the Belkins adapter. How do I change the focus to
the Belkins adapter? Can you tell me how to get the winipc to show the
Belkins adapter configurations?
Also, I am not sure if i have Internet connection sharing enabled or not.
I will find out and disable it. Thanks a lot for the reply. You helped me
more already than 50 hours of (fruitless) internet searching.
--
jennifer

"Doug Sherman [MVP]" wrote:

> This appears to be the winipcfg output for a modem (PPP) adapter. Try
> running winipcfg again and change the focus to the Belkin adapter. Also, if
> you have Internet Connection Sharing enabled on a dialup connection, disable
> ICS.
>
> Doug Sherman
> MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP
>
> "jennifer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Computer #1 DESKTOP DELL DIMENSIONS. motorola sbg900.
> > windows xp home. cable internet access connected.
> > (computer #1 is connected and works great)
> >
> > Computer #2 DESKTOP HP PAVILION. Belkins g plus wireless
> > adapter. windows 98 SE. picking up an "excellent" signal from

> the
> > motorola sbg900 on Computer #1. (computer #2 is connected but cannot

> browse
> > the internet)
> >
> > When I double click the Internet Explorer button on the desktop of

> Computer
> > #2 the only page that will open is one that says "The web page is not
> > available etc." and "Cannot find server or dns error" Can anyone tell me
> > what i need to do to get Computer #2 to browse the internet?
> >
> > Here is the winipcfg dialog for Computer #2
> > Host Name Joe blow
> > DNS Servers
> > Node Type Boadcast
> > netbios scope id
> > ip routing enabled WINS proxy enabled
> > NetBIOS resolution Uses DNS
> > PPP adapter
> > adapter address 44.43.49.444.00
> > IP address 0.0.0.0
> > subnet mask 0.0.0.0
> > default gateway
> > dhcp server 255.255.255.255
> > Primary wins server
> > secondary wins server
> > lease obtained
> > lease expires
> > -------------------------------
> > Most of the lines are blank.
> >
> > Cany anyone help me here? This is driving me crazy because it seems so
> > simple but alas I cannot figure it out.
> > Thanks for any help.
> >

> > --
> > jennifer

Doug Sherman [MVP]

Don't have any Win9x machines handy, but if I remember correctly: When
winipcfg opens there should be a small window/line that says PPP (this is
the default - I think). There a small triangle at the right end of the PPP
entry - if you click on it, you should be able to select a different
adapter.

> [...]

me
> > > what i need to do to get Computer #2 to browse the internet?
> > >
> > > Here is the winipcfg dialog for Computer #2
> > > Host Name Joe blow
> > > DNS Servers
> > > Node Type Boadcast
> > > netbios scope id
> > > ip routing enabled WINS proxy enabled
> > > NetBIOS resolution Uses DNS
> > > PPP adapter
> > > adapter address 44.43.49.444.00
> > > IP address 0.0.0.0
> > > subnet mask 0.0.0.0
> > > default gateway
> > > dhcp server 255.255.255.255
> > > Primary wins server
> > > secondary wins server
> > > lease obtained
> > > lease expires
> > > -------------------------------
> > > Most of the lines are blank.
> > >
> > > Cany anyone help me here? This is driving me crazy because it seems so

=?Utf-8?B?amVubmlmZXI=?=

Hi again and thanks for your help. Yes, there is a triangle as you said but
when i click on it the only available choices are "Microsoft TV/Video
Connection" and then "PPP adapter". I wonder why the Belkins isn't listed.
Any ideas?
Well thank uuuu for the help.

I know computers all right but I can't seem to grasp how to network yet.
My skill level on computers on a scale of 1-10 (with 10 being the expert) is
about a 7.
--
jennifer

"Doug Sherman [MVP]" wrote:

> Don't have any Win9x machines handy, but if I remember correctly: When
> winipcfg opens there should be a small window/line that says PPP (this is
> the default - I think). There a small triangle at the right end of the PPP
> entry - if you click on it, you should be able to select a different
> adapter.
>
> Doug Sherman
> MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP
>

> "jennifer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Winipcfg doesn't show the Belkins adapter. How do I change the focus to
> > the Belkins adapter? Can you tell me how to get the winipc to show the
> > Belkins adapter configurations?
> > Also, I am not sure if i have Internet connection sharing enabled or

> not.
> > I will find out and disable it. Thanks a lot for the reply. You helped me
> > more already than 50 hours of (fruitless) internet searching.
> > --
> > jennifer
> >

> > "Doug Sherman [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> > > This appears to be the winipcfg output for a modem (PPP) adapter. Try
> > > running winipcfg again and change the focus to the Belkin adapter.

> Also, if
> > > you have Internet Connection Sharing enabled on a dialup connection,

> disable
> > > ICS.
> > >
> > > Doug Sherman
> > > MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP
> > >
> > > "jennifer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> wireless

> from
> > > the
> > > browse

> > > Computer

> me

Doug Sherman [MVP]

Hmmm - Right click Network Neighborhood and select Properties. Do you have
a Local Area Connection for the Belkin?

I think ipconfig from XP will work on Win9x, so try this;

1. On the XP machine use Windows Explorer and go to C:\WINDOWS\System32.
Copy ipconfig.exe to a floppy.

2. On the Win98 machine copy ipconfig.exe from the floppy to C:\WINDOWS.

3. On the Win98 machine open a command prompt and: ipconfig /all ENTER.

4. If this works, is there info for the Belkin connection? If so, run:
ipconfig /all > c:\config.txt ENTER.
Use Notepad to open c:\config.txt; copy the text; and paste it into a reply
to this post.

Doug Sherman
MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

"jennifer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi again and thanks for your help. Yes, there is a triangle as you said

but
> when i click on it the only available choices are "Microsoft TV/Video
> Connection" and then "PPP adapter". I wonder why the Belkins isn't

listed.
> Any ideas?
> Well thank uuuu for the help.
>
> I know computers all right but I can't seem to grasp how to network yet.
> My skill level on computers on a scale of 1-10 (with 10 being the expert)

is
> about a 7.
> --
> jennifer
>

> "Doug Sherman [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Don't have any Win9x machines handy, but if I remember correctly: When
> > winipcfg opens there should be a small window/line that says PPP (this

is
> > the default - I think). There a small triangle at the right end of the

PPP
> > entry - if you click on it, you should be able to select a different
> > adapter.
> >
> > Doug Sherman
> > MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP
> >

> > "jennifer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Winipcfg doesn't show the Belkins adapter. How do I change the

focus to
> > > the Belkins adapter? Can you tell me how to get the winipc to show

the
> > > Belkins adapter configurations?
> > > Also, I am not sure if i have Internet connection sharing enabled or

> > not.
> > > I will find out and disable it. Thanks a lot for the reply. You

helped me
> > > more already than 50 hours of (fruitless) internet searching.
> > > --
> > > jennifer

Try

> > Also, if

> > disable

sbg900.

connected.

> > wireless

> > from

cannot

not

tell
> > me

seems so

=?Utf-8?B?amVubmlmZXI=?=

Okay. A right click on the Network Neighborhood (on the 9.

"The following network components are installed":
The Belkin 802.11g Network Adapter and the
TCP/IP -> Belkin 802.11g Network Adapter are listed.
Does this mean that I have a Local Area Connection for the Belkin? I am not
sure.

Here is the text from the Ipconfig.txt file on the 98SE computer.

Windows 98 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . : joe blow
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
NetBIOS Scope ID. . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . : No
NetBIOS Resolution Uses DNS : No

0 Ethernet adapter :

Description . . . . . . . . : Microsoft TV/Video Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 2.0.0.1
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . :
Primary WINS Server . . . . :
Secondary WINS Server . . . :
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . :
Lease Expires . . . . . . . :

1 Ethernet adapter :

Description . . . . . . . . : PPP Adapter.
Physical Address. . . . . . : 44-45-53-54-00-00
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Primary WINS Server . . . . :
Secondary WINS Server . . . :
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . :
Lease Expires . . . . . . . :

This is so different because the computers are side by side right now and my
mouses are getting tangled and stuff. I think i will have to get some rest
now or I am going to make it more confusing.
I appreciate your help and you have already taught me a couple of things.
Good night and Thank you again.
--
jennifer

"Doug Sherman [MVP]" wrote:

> Hmmm - Right click Network Neighborhood and select Properties. Do you have
> a Local Area Connection for the Belkin?
>
> I think ipconfig from XP will work on Win9x, so try this;
>
> 1. On the XP machine use Windows Explorer and go to C:\WINDOWS\System32.
> Copy ipconfig.exe to a floppy.
>
> 2. On the Win98 machine copy ipconfig.exe from the floppy to C:\WINDOWS.
>
> 3. On the Win98 machine open a command prompt and: ipconfig /all ENTER.
>
> 4. If this works, is there info for the Belkin connection? If so, run:
> ipconfig /all > c:\config.txt ENTER.
> Use Notepad to open c:\config.txt; copy the text; and paste it into a reply
> to this post.
>
> Doug Sherman
> MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP
>
> "jennifer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi again and thanks for your help. Yes, there is a triangle as you said

> but
> > when i click on it the only available choices are "Microsoft TV/Video
> > Connection" and then "PPP adapter". I wonder why the Belkins isn't

> listed.
> > Any ideas?
> > Well thank uuuu for the help.
> >
> > I know computers all right but I can't seem to grasp how to network yet.
> > My skill level on computers on a scale of 1-10 (with 10 being the expert)

> is
> > about a 7.
> > --
> > jennifer
> >

> > "Doug Sherman [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> > > Don't have any Win9x machines handy, but if I remember correctly: When
> > > winipcfg opens there should be a small window/line that says PPP (this

> is
> > > the default - I think). There a small triangle at the right end of the

> PPP
> > > entry - if you click on it, you should be able to select a different
> > > adapter.
> > >
> > > Doug Sherman
> > > MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP
> > >

> > > "jennifer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> focus to

> the
> > > not.

> helped me

> Try
> > > Also, if
> > > disable

> sbg900.

> connected.

> > > wireless
> > > from

> cannot

> not

> tell
> > > me

> seems so

Doug Sherman [MVP]

OK, I don't know whether "PPP adapter" is the Belkin or not; so lets try
something else:

1. On the XP machine, run ipconfig /all. Write down the IP address, subnet
mask, Default gateway, and DNS server IP for the adapter connected to the
Motorola device.

2. On the Win98 machine, click on TCP/IP -> Belkin 802.11g Network Adapter
and select Properties. Select to specify an IP address - use the IP for the
XP machine + 1. Eg. If XP is 192.168.100.2, make Win98 192.168.100.3. Use
the same subnet mask. Click the DNS tab and enter the same IP as XP
machine's DNS entry. Click the Gateway tab and again enter the same IP as
the XP's default gateway. Reboot; make the wireless connection; run
ipconfig /all and see if the settings are correct; open IE.