Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > rv042 and port forwarding-dyndns

rv042 and port forwarding-dyndns

chucho11028@gmail.com

I have a rv042 router and I configured port forwarding for internal IP
192.168.1.117 with all services ports udp and tcp. I have dyndns too
but when I configure port forwarding like before I can't reach the Ip
address or my dyndns for manage my router via web. Why?
How can I configure port forwarding and dyndns together?
What can I do?

Trendkill

On Oct 7, 11:05 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I have a rv042 router and I configured port forwarding for internal IP
> 192.168.1.117 with all services ports udp and tcp. I have dyndns too
> but when I configure port forwarding like before I can't reach the Ip
> address or my dyndns for manage my router via web. Why?
> How can I configure port forwarding and dyndns together?
> What can I do?

Why are you forwarding all ports to .117? The nature of NAT, and more
importantly PAT, should allow any traffic that is requested from .117,
back to .117 through the link-state session table. You should only
have to forward ports that are going to come from un-requested
traffic. What I mean here, is that if someone connects to a FTP
server you have on 117, they are hitting your external router and the
router will not already have a session, and will need to know what to
do with the traffic.

As for your issue with external web interface, by forwarding port 80,
or whatever port that management interface works on, you have told the
router that anything coming to your external IP should be forwarded
to .117. This most likely overrides the router actually listening on
port 80 for a session to the mgmt interface. The easy way to fix
this, is to stop forwarding all ports and only forward the ones you
need. If you still have a conflict, see if you can change the mgmt
interface port to something you don't need to forward, and make sure
it is a 'hole' poked through your forwarding rule. Something like
8000 or 8080 would probably work fine, if you router allows you to
change that session.

As for Dyndns, I am guessing you are using that on the router itself
and it is not working for the same reason. Put a dyndns client on
your 117 box, or find out what port dyndns works on and stop
forwarding it.

Merv

On Oct 7, 11:05 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I have a rv042 router and I configured port forwarding for internal IP
> 192.168.1.117 with all services ports udp and tcp. I have dyndns too
> but when I configure port forwarding like before I can't reach the Ip
> address or my dyndns for manage my router via web.

You should check the Linksys web site www.linksys.com

You should check if you have the latest firmware for the rv042 - see
the linksys site for that.

Also you may want to check for a Linksys forum - this is a Cisco forum
(even though Cisco owns Linksys)

VPN between PIX and Linksys RV042 Bob Simon Cisco 0 08-31-2007 02:05 PM
PING through RV042 setup Fred Marshall Cisco 3 03-31-2006 04:13 PM
RV042 and pix with load balancing jcharth@hotmail.com Cisco 10 10-16-2005 09:40 PM
Linksys rv042 & rv082 hbr Cisco 0 01-24-2005 05:51 PM
Cisco 1720 and Linksys RV042 Mario Lopez Cisco 0 08-18-2004 01:01 AM

Advertisments