Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless DHCP Problem

Wireless DHCP Problem

=?Utf-8?B?VG9ueUg=?=

Hi,
I have installed many wireless networks but never seen the problem described
below before.

A friend's desktop is running XP with SP2. I have configured a Netgear
wireless router that connects to the Internet and works just fine. I
configured the wireless settings on the router and his PC and the PC connects
to the wireless network fine using WEP but his PC just cannot obtain an IP
address using DHCP. It works when I use an Ethernet cable.

My laptop gets and IP address from the same Netgear router AOK.

I installed a different PCI wireless adapter in his PC and get the same
problem. I disabled ALL firewalls he had running.

If I configure a static IP address in his PC I cannot ping the wireless
router over the wireless network.

All PCI drivers are installed correctly with no conflicts etc.

Could this be a NDIS driver problem?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Tony

=?Utf-8?B?VG9ueSBI?=

Have fixed the problem. For those having the same issue try the
following........

Type in Start -> Run -> Command

Type in 'netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt'

Restart the computer.

Type in Start -> Run

Type in 'services.msc'

Find DHCP Client and double click it

Stop the service and restart the computer. Make sure the startup type is set
to Automatic.

On the wireless router select WPA encryption and enter a PSK key.

On the PC using Windows wireless config utility select WPA PSK and enter the
same key under TKIP.

All now works fine. The PC acquires and address using DHCP and the network
is fine.

Tony

"TonyH" wrote:

> Hi,
> I have installed many wireless networks but never seen the problem described
> below before.
>
> A friend's desktop is running XP with SP2. I have configured a Netgear
> wireless router that connects to the Internet and works just fine. I
> configured the wireless settings on the router and his PC and the PC connects
> to the wireless network fine using WEP but his PC just cannot obtain an IP
> address using DHCP. It works when I use an Ethernet cable.
>
> My laptop gets and IP address from the same Netgear router AOK.
>
> I installed a different PCI wireless adapter in his PC and get the same
> problem. I disabled ALL firewalls he had running.
>
> If I configure a static IP address in his PC I cannot ping the wireless
> router over the wireless network.
>
> All PCI drivers are installed correctly with no conflicts etc.
>
> Could this be a NDIS driver problem?
>
> Many thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Tony

=?Utf-8?B?bHJ5dGlt?=

How do I come up with a PSK key?
--
lrytim

"Tony H" wrote:

> Have fixed the problem. For those having the same issue try the
> following........
>
> Type in Start -> Run -> Command
>
> Type in 'netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt'
>
> Restart the computer.
>
> Type in Start -> Run
>
> Type in 'services.msc'
>
> Find DHCP Client and double click it
>
> Stop the service and restart the computer. Make sure the startup type is set
> to Automatic.
>
> On the wireless router select WPA encryption and enter a PSK key.
>
> On the PC using Windows wireless config utility select WPA PSK and enter the
> same key under TKIP.
>
> All now works fine. The PC acquires and address using DHCP and the network
> is fine.
>
> Tony
>
> "TonyH" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I have installed many wireless networks but never seen the problem described
> > below before.
> >
> > A friend's desktop is running XP with SP2. I have configured a Netgear
> > wireless router that connects to the Internet and works just fine. I
> > configured the wireless settings on the router and his PC and the PC connects
> > to the wireless network fine using WEP but his PC just cannot obtain an IP
> > address using DHCP. It works when I use an Ethernet cable.
> >
> > My laptop gets and IP address from the same Netgear router AOK.
> >
> > I installed a different PCI wireless adapter in his PC and get the same
> > problem. I disabled ALL firewalls he had running.
> >
> > If I configure a static IP address in his PC I cannot ping the wireless
> > router over the wireless network.
> >
> > All PCI drivers are installed correctly with no conflicts etc.
> >
> > Could this be a NDIS driver problem?
> >
> > Many thanks in advance for your help.
> >
> > Tony

=?Utf-8?B?d3Jj?=

Microsoft says it is a problem with Windows XP Based computers using Service
Pack 2 And If it is not too much of a problem to wait for the next service
pack. I have had the same problem with 3 different wireless routers. The
Network connectivity is lost when you use DHCP to configure IP settings. I
have been trying to call Microsoft for a hot fix , but as for now no reply
from them ..