Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Belkin Wireless Card dropping network

Belkin Wireless Card dropping network

=?Utf-8?B?SmVycnkgUw==?=

have a Compaq Presario 1200 Laptop that I rebuilt running Windows XP SP2
and I am using a Belkin Wireless 802.1g wireless adapter connecting to a
Linksys wireless router. I have all the security turned on on the Linksys to
only allow known wireless cards and we have moved all cordless phones away
from the computers and router, but the Belkin Card keeps loosing the network
connection. This happens every 5 minutes or so. I have looked on the
utility and on the Belkin sight for any updates or driver patches and I have
everything current. I have a second laptop that this happens to on a regulat
basis.

There are no other networks in the area and no known sources for
interference. What could be causing this problem? I have also experienced
it, but not to the same degree on a Motorola wireless adapter. I have
checked the firmware on the Linksys and it is up to date also--could this be
atmospheric?

does anyone have any explinations?

Sooner Al [MVP]

Maybe a bad Linksys access point/router radio? What happens if you go to a
public wireless hotspot or a friends house?

FWIW I have a Belkin F5D7010 running on an XP Pro SP2 Compaq Armada E500 and
don't experience that. In my case I have a Buffalo WBR-G54 combo wireless
access point and broadband router and use WPA-PSK (TKIP) to encrypt my home
wireless LAN...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...

"Jerry S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> have a Compaq Presario 1200 Laptop that I rebuilt running Windows XP SP2
> and I am using a Belkin Wireless 802.1g wireless adapter connecting to a
> Linksys wireless router. I have all the security turned on on the Linksys
> only allow known wireless cards and we have moved all cordless phones away
> from the computers and router, but the Belkin Card keeps loosing the
> network
> connection. This happens every 5 minutes or so. I have looked on the
> utility and on the Belkin sight for any updates or driver patches and I
> have
> everything current. I have a second laptop that this happens to on a
> regulat
> basis.
>
> There are no other networks in the area and no known sources for
> interference. What could be causing this problem? I have also
> experienced
> it, but not to the same degree on a Motorola wireless adapter. I have
> checked the firmware on the Linksys and it is up to date also--could this
> be
> atmospheric?
>
> does anyone have any explinations?

=?Utf-8?B?SmVycnkgUw==?=

now that you mention it--I did have a Belkin Wireless access point and it
worked better, but it kept dropping the network about once a day or so.

Would updating the firmware on this router help that issue or is the Linksys
in need of replacing?

"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

> Maybe a bad Linksys access point/router radio? What happens if you go to a
> public wireless hotspot or a friends house?
>
> FWIW I have a Belkin F5D7010 running on an XP Pro SP2 Compaq Armada E500 and
> don't experience that. In my case I have a Buffalo WBR-G54 combo wireless
> access point and broadband router and use WPA-PSK (TKIP) to encrypt my home
> wireless LAN...
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> mutual benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>

> "Jerry S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > have a Compaq Presario 1200 Laptop that I rebuilt running Windows XP SP2
> > and I am using a Belkin Wireless 802.1g wireless adapter connecting to a
> > Linksys wireless router. I have all the security turned on on the Linksys
> > only allow known wireless cards and we have moved all cordless phones away
> > from the computers and router, but the Belkin Card keeps loosing the
> > network
> > connection. This happens every 5 minutes or so. I have looked on the
> > utility and on the Belkin sight for any updates or driver patches and I
> > have
> > everything current. I have a second laptop that this happens to on a
> > regulat
> > basis.
> >
> > There are no other networks in the area and no known sources for
> > interference. What could be causing this problem? I have also
> > experienced
> > it, but not to the same degree on a Motorola wireless adapter. I have
> > checked the firmware on the Linksys and it is up to date also--could this
> > be
> > atmospheric?
> >
> > does anyone have any explinations?

SteveC

Had same thing and dumped the Belkin and got a Linksys 54G wireless card and
it fixed it. But this computer seems to forget the name of my other
computer now for some reason. It remembers notebook as notebook but StevePC
it only knows if I type the IP address in 192.168.1.101. If I reboot the
computers and the Linksys 54G wireless router reassigns IP numbers, it is
fine for about 30 min, then it forgets again. But Computer A always
remembers computer B.
news:(E-Mail Removed)...