Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Not sure where to post this

Not sure where to post this

rich

Hello all

I need to create a dynamic data-driven site. I am wondering when I
should go the full database route, and when something much simpler will
do (in this case JavaScript). If I can create a decent solution in
JavaScript, why do anything more?

Thankyou

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed rich <(E-Mail Removed)> writing in
news:X5PNi.260856$(E-Mail Removed) o.uk:

> Hello all
>
> I need to create a dynamic data-driven site. I am wondering when I
> should go the full database route, and when something much simpler

will
> do (in this case JavaScript). If I can create a decent solution in
> JavaScript, why do anything more?
>
> Thankyou

I would go with a database solution. Much easier and scalable in the
long run.

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services

rich

> I would go with a database solution. Much easier and scalable in the
> long run.

But,
A) I would have to learn databases from scratch
B) The amount of data is never going to be vast

Jonathan N. Little

rich wrote:
>> I would go with a database solution. Much easier and scalable in the
>> long run.

> But,
> A) I would have to learn databases from scratch
> B) The amount of data is never going to be vast

Then save in a plain old text flat file and use some server-size Php,
Perl, ASP to pull the records of the file file...No JavaScript and no
problem when clients have JavaScript disabled.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

John L.

rich wrote:
>> I would go with a database solution. Much easier and scalable in the
>> long run.

> But,
> A) I would have to learn databases from scratch

I think you'll find it's surprisingly straightforward to create simple
database-driven websites, and it will open up a whole new world of
possibilities.

An excellent book to get started with is 'Build Your Own Database Driven
Website Using PHP & MySQL' by Kevin Yank.