Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless Network help/advise needed please

Wireless Network help/advise needed please

=?Utf-8?B?cGFmb3M=?=

I have many years computer experience (too many!!) but have never needed to
set up any networks. Perhaps those of you with network experience may shed
some light on how to go about fulfilling my requirements.
I intend to join two PC's in an ad hoc network using PCI wirless adaptors
802.11g. No problem yet . I now want to be able to remotely connect to my
satellite internet service, installed on my main PC, from a remote PC on the
wirless LAN. Now in order to get the main PC connected I have to initiate the
satellite connection process by clicking on an ICON in the Windows XP
taskbar. This results in an automatic dial up internet connection being
established followed by an automatic connection to the satellite server. The
dial up connection is used for uploads and the satellite used for
downloads.
So basically I need to be able to "get at " this taskbar icon from a remote
computer and get the internet Web pages etc. diplayed and be usable on the
remote PC.
Any ideas how to simply do this task. I have windows XP pro. Forgive my
ignorance if this is easy to do but my knowledge of networking is zero (at
present !!)

--
thanks in advance for any help
Peter

Doug Sherman [MVP]

Unfortunately, satellite Internet connections are one of the few areas where
this might not be easy at all. Try:

1. Go to Control Panel - Network and Internet Connections - Network
Connections.

2. If there is an icon representing the dialup Internet connection, click on
it and then, under Network Tasks, click Change settings of this connection.

3. On the Advanced tab, click to select the Allow other network users to
connect through this computer's Internet connection check box.

4. Under Internet Connection Sharing, in Home networking connection, select
the wireless adapter.

5. Reboot both computers; establish the wireless connection; open IE on the
remote PC.

Doug Sherman
MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

news:(E-Mail Removed)...