Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Publishing site on Intranet

Publishing site on Intranet

navin

Hi All,

i am very new to creating websites. i have created a small site with
frontpage to be used internally in my office. i am trying to publish
the site from one of our shared drive.

please tell me, how to publish the site, so that people can access it
from the shared drive.

thanks,
navin

PW

"navin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi All,
>
> i am very new to creating websites. i have created a small site with
> frontpage to be used internally in my office. i am trying to publish
> the site from one of our shared drive.
>
> please tell me, how to publish the site, so that people can access it
> from the shared drive.
>
> thanks,
> navin

If its within your office network, try something like ...

http://<the servers IP address>/<the folder the webpages are in>/<the
initial webpage name>

e.g...

http://111.222.333.444/mywebsite/index.htm

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

PW wrote:

> "navin" wrote:
>> i am very new to creating websites. i have created a small site with
>> frontpage to be used internally in my office. i am trying to publish
>> the site from one of our shared drive.

You say you are new, so you may not have heard that FrontPage is a
terrible web tool. However, since it is for an intranet, I guess this is
ok for now. For future, look into, as an example, the Kompozer.
http://kompozer.net/

>> please tell me, how to publish the site, so that people can access
>> it from the shared drive.

> If its within your office network, try something like ...
>
> http://<the servers IP address>/<the folder the webpages are in>/<the
> initial webpage name>

...which would only work if the serving PC was running a web server.
Apache, Microsoft IIS ...

navin could publish locally, then copy all the files to the server,
using the exact same directory tree structure.

> e.g...
>
> http://111.222.333.444/mywebsite/index.htm

file:///<shared-drive-letter>/<root>/<subdir>/index.html

--
-bts

Jonathan N. Little

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

> navin could publish locally, then copy all the files to the server,
> using the exact same directory tree structure.
>
>> e.g...
>>
>> http://111.222.333.444/mywebsite/index.htm

> file:///<shared-drive-letter>/<root>/<subdir>/index.html

on the local system OR if one has mapped the share as a drive on all the
clients else it will be:

file://///<computer-name>/<root>/<subdir>/index.html

Note: my SeaMonkey throws a couple more '/'s to your '///'

file:///... fails and MS(Windows)IE save path in MS's flavor

\\<computer-name>\<root>\<subdir>\index.html

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 06 Oct 2007 13:17:54 GMT
navin scribed:

> Hi All,
>
> i am very new to creating websites. i have created a small site with
> frontpage to be used internally in my office. i am trying to publish
> the site from one of our shared drive.
>
> please tell me, how to publish the site, so that people can access it
> from the shared drive.

A network shared drive? Technically, you shouldn't have to do anything and
did too much already. Don't "publish" with Frontpage, just save the files
and pass out the appropriate address.

I keep an entire, intact copy of my website locally, and excepting a few
absolute urls and such, it's just the same stand-alone files.

--
Neredbojias