Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless router confusion

Wireless router confusion

J David Ellis

I'm currently using a USB adapter to associate with a
commercial access point that requires logging in. Can the
Linksys WRT54G router associate with that AP, allowing my
computer's wireless adapter to associate with the router
instead of the commercial AP? AP <=> router <=> computer?

I'd like to have the router's firewall between the
commercial AP and my wireless network, but I'm uncertain
whether WRT54G will connect to the internet via a commercial
AP instead of cable.

--David

Jack

Hi

What you would like to do is called Wireless in WDS Mode or Wireless
Repeater. (http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html ) WRT54 as is can Not do
it. Wrt54g v.1-4 (not 5) with 3rd party firmware might. There is Wireless
Hardware from Buffalo Tech. Belkin and others that is WDS out of the Box.

Alternatively, you can get a Linksys WET11 (It is a Driverless Client card)
and plug it to the Router's WAN Port.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"J David Ellis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm currently using a USB adapter to associate with a commercial access
> point that requires logging in. Can the Linksys WRT54G router associate
> with that AP, allowing my computer's wireless adapter to associate with
> the router instead of the commercial AP? AP <=> router <=> computer?
>
> I'd like to have the router's firewall between the commercial AP and my
> wireless network, but I'm uncertain whether WRT54G will connect to the
> internet via a commercial AP instead of cable.
>
> --David

J David Ellis

At http://web.belkin.com/support/kb/kb.asp?a=2814 the
following Note has me wondering whether a Belkin WDS-capable
router would mix with Linksys adapters and print servers.
The article was last updated Feb 2004. Is the warning
germane two years later? (I have not yet bought any of the
boxes.)

"Note: The WDS feature is not completely specified in IEEE
or Wifi standards. Therefore interoperability between 802.11
products of different vendors is not guaranteed."

--David