Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > overflow:auto in IE

overflow:auto in IE

zacariaz@gmail.com

Im using xhtml 1.0 strict and both tml and css validates, but no
matter what i do, i can't get overflow:auto to work in IE and i would
really like to get rit of that scroll bar when it isn't needed.

html:
http://www.g33kz-inn.org/test/index.htm

css:
http://www.g33kz-inn.org/test/includes/css/style.css

Thanks

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed). com>,

> Im using xhtml 1.0 strict and both tml and css validates, but no
> matter what i do, i can't get overflow:auto to work in IE and i would
> really like to get rit of that scroll bar when it isn't needed.
>
> html:
> http://www.g33kz-inn.org/test/index.htm
>
> css:
> http://www.g33kz-inn.org/test/includes/css/style.css
>

> Thanks

What is this all about:

head {overflow: auto;}

?

Look at your html (or xhtml if you like), what is the explanation
of the divs and <br>. It does not seem to make a lot of sense?
Validity is one thing. Sense is another. Make the page a little
more realistic and let's see.

--
dorayme

zacariaz@gmail.com

On 6 Okt., 07:03, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
>
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Im using xhtml 1.0 strict and both tml and css validates, but no
> > matter what i do, i can't get overflow:auto to work in IE and i would
> > really like to get rit of that scroll bar when it isn't needed.

> > html:
> >http://www.g33kz-inn.org/test/index.htm

> > css:
> >http://www.g33kz-inn.org/test/includes/css/style.css

> > Thanks

> What is this all about:
>
> head {overflow: auto;}
>
> ?
>
> Look at your html (or xhtml if you like), what is the explanation
> of the divs and <br>. It does not seem to make a lot of sense?
> Validity is one thing. Sense is another. Make the page a little
> more realistic and let's see.
>
> --
> dorayme

What do you want me to do? put some content on the site? That has
absolutely nothing to do with the problem.
I have a working site and whether or not it makes sence doesnt matter,
only the problem and the solution.

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> On 6 Okt., 07:03, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > In article
> > <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
> >
> > (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > > Im using xhtml 1.0 strict and both tml and css validates, but no
> > > matter what i do, i can't get overflow:auto to work in IE and i would
> > > really like to get rit of that scroll bar when it isn't needed.

> > > html:
> > >http://www.g33kz-inn.org/test/index.htm

> > > css:
> > >http://www.g33kz-inn.org/test/includes/css/style.css

> > > Thanks

> > What is this all about:
> >
> > head {overflow: auto;}
> >
> > ?
> >
> > Look at your html (or xhtml if you like), what is the explanation
> > of the divs and <br>. It does not seem to make a lot of sense?
> > Validity is one thing. Sense is another. Make the page a little
> > more realistic and let's see.
> >
> > --
> > dorayme

> What do you want me to do? put some content on the site? That has
> absolutely nothing to do with the problem.
> I have a working site and whether or not it makes sence doesnt matter,
> only the problem and the solution.

You have not explained what your head {overflow: auto;} is doing.
I was puzzled by this? Anyway, I see no problem with scrollbars
when this is removed in IE 6 (I cannot now test in IE7 I am
afraid).

I removed various height: auto s too, these are defaults.

I worry about your code when you are putting px font sizes and px
heights for footers that can be too small for a user upped font
and other things. It is not always easy to know what is causing
problems until the simple things are all fixed right. You are
more confident than me. I guess you are not in a mood to hear
about other things... like you need some sort of reason to use
xhtml rather than html, have you got one? It is confusing to call
classes and ids after normal elements, it is bad practice to use
px for fonts, it always helps to make a problem a bit realistic
if you are not sure what is causing the problem...

--
dorayme

zacariaz@gmail.com

On 6 Okt., 08:51, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [...]

> > > <(E-Mail Removed). com>,

> > > What is this all about:

> > > head {overflow: auto;}

> > > ?

> > > Look at your html (or xhtml if you like), what is the explanation
> > > of the divs and <br>. It does not seem to make a lot of sense?
> > > Validity is one thing. Sense is another. Make the page a little
> > > more realistic and let's see.

> > > --
> > > dorayme

> > What do you want me to do? put some content on the site? That has
> > absolutely nothing to do with the problem.
> > I have a working site and whether or not it makes sence doesnt matter,
> > only the problem and the solution.

> You have not explained what your head {overflow: auto;} is doing.
> I was puzzled by this? Anyway, I see no problem with scrollbars
> when this is removed in IE 6 (I cannot now test in IE7 I am

I you do not know what overflow auto does, you are definently not able
to help.
I IE 6, as i am using, you allways have a visible scrollbar in the
right of your browser, regardless of how much contents there is on the
site.
This can usually be fixed with overflow auto.

> I removed various height: auto s too, these are defaults.

Yes, but they are nice to have in the development fase.

> I worry about your code when you are putting px font sizes and px
> heights for footers that can be too small for a user upped font
> and other things. It is not always easy to know what is causing
> problems until the simple things are all fixed right. You are
> more confident than me. I guess you are not in a mood to hear
> about other things... like you need some sort of reason to use
> xhtml rather than html, have you got one? It is confusing to call
> classes and ids after normal elements, it is bad practice to use
> px for fonts, it always helps to make a problem a bit realistic
> if you are not sure what is causing the problem...

I am allways ready to listen to good advice, but your "advice" dont
help.
I need to make overflow:auto work.
Everything else is exactly as i want it for now.

btw, links has been updated.

> --
> dorayme- Skjul tekst i anførselstegn -
>
> - Vis tekst i anførselstegn -

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed). com>,
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> > You have not explained what your head {overflow: auto;} is doing.
> > I was puzzled by this? Anyway, I see no problem with scrollbars
> > when this is removed in IE 6 (I cannot now test in IE7 I am
> > afraid).

> I you do not know what overflow auto does, you are definently not able
> to help.

It was more a question about the head bit rather than the
overflow. I have never seen this before, just asking you?

Anyway, I took another look at my WinIE and yes, there is a
vertical scrollbar field ready to be activated if need be.

Why don't you try html {overflow: auto;} rather than head...?

--
dorayme

BootNic

dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
news:(E-Mail Removed):

[snip]
> It was more a question about the head bit rather than the
> overflow. I have never seen this before, just asking you?

[snip]

Think head swelling, without an auto overflow the eyes may pop out.

--
BootNic Saturday October 6, 2007 4:11 AM
One must learn by doing the thing, for though you think you know it,

zacariaz@gmail.com

On 6 Okt., 09:58, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
>
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > > You have not explained what your head {overflow: auto;} is doing.
> > > I was puzzled by this? Anyway, I see no problem with scrollbars
> > > when this is removed in IE 6 (I cannot now test in IE7 I am
> > > afraid).

> > I you do not know what overflow auto does, you are definently not able
> > to help.

> It was more a question about the head bit rather than the
> overflow. I have never seen this before, just asking you?
>
> Anyway, I took another look at my WinIE and yes, there is a
> vertical scrollbar field ready to be activated if need be.
>
> Why don't you try html {overflow: auto;} rather than head...?
>
> --
> dorayme

Thanks, that worked.

I dont know what its all about, sometimes it work in body, sometimes
in head, and now apperently in html.

Well problem solved

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> On 6 Okt., 09:58, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > In article
> > <(E-Mail Removed). com>,

> > > I you do not know what overflow auto does, you are definently not able
> > > to help.

> > It was more a question about the head bit rather than the
> > overflow. I have never seen this before, just asking you?
> >
> > Anyway, I took another look at my WinIE and yes, there is a
> > vertical scrollbar field ready to be activated if need be.
> >
> > Why don't you try html {overflow: auto;} rather than head...?
> >
> > --
> > dorayme

> Thanks, that worked.
>
> I dont know what its all about, sometimes it work in body, sometimes
> in head, and now apperently in html.
>
> Well problem solved

I should have picked this up earlier. Truth is, I would never
dream of worrying about scroll bars and most things to do with
them goes in one ear and out the other and I was thrown by your
styling the head element, never seen this?

Plus I was quite distracted this avo, I dropped my toy helicopter
controller. I opened it up and re-soldered bits that had broken,
I have lost the nice led lights and two of the three channels,
but I can still fly it on one channel now that I have made what
repairs I could. So, not bad really, I can fly the helicopter and
you can have no scroll bars.

--
dorayme