Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Automatically clearing "Preferred Networks" list

Automatically clearing "Preferred Networks" list

Jack B. Pollack

I am looking for a way through a batch file, reg file, etc. to clear the
"Preferred Networks" list in Win XP.

I found references to the SSID's in 2 registry keys:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\EAPOL\Parame ters\Interfaces\{93BA05F9
-E76A-4F5F-A0B5-A2D700210346}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WZCSVC\Param eters\Interfaces\{93BA05F9
-E76A-4F5F-A0B5-A2D700210346}

Even after deleting these keys (and rebooting) the "Preferred Networks" list
is not clear.

Anyone have any idea where the remaining settings are stored and how to
clear the list automatically?

Thanks

Pavel A.

Just a thought -
Before deleting these keys, make sure that wzcsvc is stopped.
Do you have SP2 with the latest wireless updates (WPA2) ?

--PA

"Jack B. Pollack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am looking for a way through a batch file, reg file, etc. to clear the
> "Preferred Networks" list in Win XP.
>
> I found references to the SSID's in 2 registry keys:
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\EAPOL\Parame ters\Interfaces\{93BA05F9
> -E76A-4F5F-A0B5-A2D700210346}
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WZCSVC\Param eters\Interfaces\{93BA05F9
> -E76A-4F5F-A0B5-A2D700210346}
>
> Even after deleting these keys (and rebooting) the "Preferred Networks" list
> is not clear.
>
> Anyone have any idea where the remaining settings are stored and how to
> clear the list automatically?
>
> Thanks

Newbie Coder

Jack,

Why don't you force your machine to use the one you want.

If you're using wireless then you could be picking up your neighbours wireless network

--
Newbie Coder
(It's just a name)

"Jack B. Pollack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am looking for a way through a batch file, reg file, etc. to clear the
> "Preferred Networks" list in Win XP.
>
> I found references to the SSID's in 2 registry keys:
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\EAPOL\Parame ters\Interfaces\{93BA05F9
> -E76A-4F5F-A0B5-A2D700210346}
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WZCSVC\Param eters\Interfaces\{93BA05F9
> -E76A-4F5F-A0B5-A2D700210346}
>
> Even after deleting these keys (and rebooting) the "Preferred Networks" list
> is not clear.
>
> Anyone have any idea where the remaining settings are stored and how to
> clear the list automatically?
>
> Thanks

Jack B. Pollack

I have users that travel and connect at hotels, etc. The Preferred network
list sometimes contains 100's of entries with the "real' networks at the
bottom and networks that will never be used again at the top.

Looking for a quick way to clear the list and maybe populate it with just
the real networks

"Newbie Coder" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jack,
>
> Why don't you force your machine to use the one you want.
>
> If you're using wireless then you could be picking up your neighbours

wireless network

> --
> Newbie Coder
> (It's just a name)
>
> "Jack B. Pollack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I am looking for a way through a batch file, reg file, etc. to clear the
> > "Preferred Networks" list in Win XP.
> >
> > I found references to the SSID's in 2 registry keys:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\EAPOL\Parame ters\Interfaces\{93BA05F9
> > -E76A-4F5F-A0B5-A2D700210346}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WZCSVC\Param eters\Interfaces\{93BA05F9
> > -E76A-4F5F-A0B5-A2D700210346}
> >
> > Even after deleting these keys (and rebooting) the "Preferred Networks"

list
> > is not clear.
> >
> > Anyone have any idea where the remaining settings are stored and how to
> > clear the list automatically?
> >
> > Thanks

Jack B. Pollack

Stopping the serviced WORKED. Thanks