Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Linksys range extender

Linksys range extender

Bob Jenneson

I am unable to connect to the WRE54G range extender through a web browser.
I have set it up using the install disk but I want to reconfigure the device
but entering the default address of 192.168.1.240 does not work. I have
rerun the install disk and that confirms that the default IP address is
still current.

Help Please, Bob.

Lem

Bob Jenneson wrote:
> I am unable to connect to the WRE54G range extender through a web browser.
> I have set it up using the install disk but I want to reconfigure the device
> but entering the default address of 192.168.1.240 does not work. I have
> rerun the install disk and that confirms that the default IP address is
> still current.
>
> Help Please, Bob.

Try Linksys Live Chat tech support http://tinyurl.com/3zxwx (they may
start off by telling you to reset to factory defaults by holding the
reset button down for >10 seconds, so you might try that first; this
will erase any WEP key entries, SSID changes, etc., that you might have
made).

Geoff

Bob Jenneson wrote:
> I am unable to connect to the WRE54G range extender through a web browser.
> I have set it up using the install disk but I want to reconfigure the device
> but entering the default address of 192.168.1.240 does not work. I have
> rerun the install disk and that confirms that the default IP address is
> still current.
>
> Help Please, Bob.

I ended up returning mine to CompUSA because the PCs that connected via
the RE were connecting at speeds of only 5-20mbps instead of 54mbps,
which the live chat guy said was normal, and the signal strength was
only marginally better. My physical layout may have been a factor in the
similar pre- and post-install signal strength, but be advised that the
output signal from the RE is at no better than 22mbps per their tech
support.

Jack

Hi

Check the IP of the computer it might be on a different Subnet.

If Extender is 192.168.1.240 computer should be 192.168.1.x

Try to manually set the IP to be on the same subnet as the extender.

Example, 192.168.1.100

Do Not Know how the check IP look here, http://www.ezlan.net/ip_mac.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Bob Jenneson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>I am unable to connect to the WRE54G range extender through a web browser.
> I have set it up using the install disk but I want to reconfigure the
> device but entering the default address of 192.168.1.240 does not work. I
> have rerun the install disk and that confirms that the default IP address
> is still current.
>
> Help Please, Bob.

Bob Jenneson

Thanks a lot Jack! You are a wizzzzzzz!
You hit the nail on the head, I don't quite know what it means as yet but it
was on a differant subnet.
My LAN is on 192.168.0.2 etc and the Linksys device was on 192.168.1.240.
Once changed to 192.168.0.240, it was all ok from then on.
Thanks again, Bob.
Now if I can only get some encryption working.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...