Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wired and wireless

Wired and wireless

=?Utf-8?B?ZGZhdG92aWM=?=

I am running a converged network (voice and data). I also have both wired
and wireless connections, using two seperate devices. My network switch
(data) is an SMC managed Layer 2 switch, currently I am using the dsl
router's wireless capabilities for the wireless portion. (I do have an SMC
wireless router I can use.

My question is this. Currently I am using a peer to peer network. I do not
have a server, and from what I understand a Windows XP Pro machine cannot
work as a domain server. I have all the computers in the same workgroup, but
my laptop that is on wireless can not see any of the computers in the
workgroup. Nor can the wired computers in the workgroup see my laptop on
wireless. Is it possible to get all computers to see each other in the
current peer to peer configuration?

Thank you,

David

Carey Holzman

Yes.
Follow the steps on each PC at:

www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm

Carey

"dfatovic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am running a converged network (voice and data). I also have both wired
> and wireless connections, using two seperate devices. My network switch
> (data) is an SMC managed Layer 2 switch, currently I am using the dsl
> router's wireless capabilities for the wireless portion. (I do have an
> SMC
> wireless router I can use.
>
> My question is this. Currently I am using a peer to peer network. I do
> not
> have a server, and from what I understand a Windows XP Pro machine cannot
> work as a domain server. I have all the computers in the same workgroup,
> but
> my laptop that is on wireless can not see any of the computers in the
> workgroup. Nor can the wired computers in the workgroup see my laptop on
> wireless. Is it possible to get all computers to see each other in the
> current peer to peer configuration?
>
> Thank you,
>
> David

Robert Jacobs

If you are using a wireless router, your not peer to peer.

"dfatovic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am running a converged network (voice and data). I also have both wired
> and wireless connections, using two seperate devices. My network switch
> (data) is an SMC managed Layer 2 switch, currently I am using the dsl
> router's wireless capabilities for the wireless portion. (I do have an
> SMC
> wireless router I can use.
>
> My question is this. Currently I am using a peer to peer network. I do
> not
> have a server, and from what I understand a Windows XP Pro machine cannot
> work as a domain server. I have all the computers in the same workgroup,
> but
> my laptop that is on wireless can not see any of the computers in the
> workgroup. Nor can the wired computers in the workgroup see my laptop on
> wireless. Is it possible to get all computers to see each other in the
> current peer to peer configuration?
>
> Thank you,
>
> David

=?Utf-8?B?U2Ft?=

Did you check IP address?

"Carey Holzman" wrote:

> Yes.
> Follow the steps on each PC at:
>
> www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm
>
> Carey
>
> "dfatovic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I am running a converged network (voice and data). I also have both wired
> > and wireless connections, using two seperate devices. My network switch
> > (data) is an SMC managed Layer 2 switch, currently I am using the dsl
> > router's wireless capabilities for the wireless portion. (I do have an
> > SMC
> > wireless router I can use.
> >
> > My question is this. Currently I am using a peer to peer network. I do
> > not
> > have a server, and from what I understand a Windows XP Pro machine cannot
> > work as a domain server. I have all the computers in the same workgroup,
> > but
> > my laptop that is on wireless can not see any of the computers in the
> > workgroup. Nor can the wired computers in the workgroup see my laptop on
> > wireless. Is it possible to get all computers to see each other in the
> > current peer to peer configuration?
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > David

=?Utf-8?B?ZGZhdG92aWM=?=

Could you please expand on what you mean below? I thought it was always a
peer to peer network unless you had a domain server, and logged onto a domain
when you logged on to windows. Then it was a client server.

Thanks,

David

"Robert Jacobs" wrote:

> If you are using a wireless router, your not peer to peer.
>
> "dfatovic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I am running a converged network (voice and data). I also have both wired
> > and wireless connections, using two seperate devices. My network switch
> > (data) is an SMC managed Layer 2 switch, currently I am using the dsl
> > router's wireless capabilities for the wireless portion. (I do have an
> > SMC
> > wireless router I can use.
> >
> > My question is this. Currently I am using a peer to peer network. I do
> > not
> > have a server, and from what I understand a Windows XP Pro machine cannot
> > work as a domain server. I have all the computers in the same workgroup,
> > but
> > my laptop that is on wireless can not see any of the computers in the
> > workgroup. Nor can the wired computers in the workgroup see my laptop on
> > wireless. Is it possible to get all computers to see each other in the
> > current peer to peer configuration?
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > David

Robert Jacobs

No, a peer to peer, or adhoc network, is when two or more computers are
connected together via a crossover cable or wireless to wireless adapters.
When using an access point or router to connect your PCs it is now
considered an enterprise network, you do not have to have a static server as
the AP/Router handles the switching instead of the server.