Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Report on Philips DVPS140

Report on Philips DVPS140

ChairmanOfTheBored

On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 10:48:27 -0700, Tarkus <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:
>> On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 09:54:16 -0700, Tarkus <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>> If you're that discriminating, I'm pretty sure it will play audio CDs,
>>> then you can listen to all the "lossless" music you want.

>> The point was that these "modern" players should be codec rich.
>>
>> They only cater to the crowd that cries the most, otherwise, you would
>> not even be seeing Divx support.
>>
>> Whereas my suggestion makes a lot of sense, since these things are
>> supposed to be part of folks audio/video systems. They should have the
>> best possible playback features in them.

>They should have what their target market wants. They're in business to
>make money, not to cater to audiophiles. I'm guessing most audiophiles
>spend more than $50 on their DVD player anyway, especially if they're
>going to use it to play music.
>
>It's not about who cries the most; it's about meeting demand. If there
>was more demand (not cries) for lossless codecs, then I'm certain you'd
>see more companies meeting that demand.
>
>If you choose to belong to a niche group, you have to accept the
>disadvantages that come along with that.

Niche group? Sorry dude, but some of those $50 players have DTS and 7.1
audio. So they are keyed toward nice systems, regardless of what you
biases are.

The only reason there isn't as much demand is because MP3 has become
the de facto standard, even though its quality sucks pretty badly. Also,
the lossless standards use more disc space per song, and since you guys
are so wussified that a player that has a higher price tag than $50
scares you, I am quite sure that a nice new, sub 30 cent per GB hard
drive is beyond these childish dweebs' capacity to see a good value when
it is there. Much less the fact that we place file onto DVDs and HD DVDs
and BR DVDs now, not CDs. So the file size issue should not be one. If
you guys had half the brains you claim to have, you'd all be using
lossless codecs by now, but since I am talking to the iPUD crowd, I doubt
that will ever happen.

Pay more for less, then jump on those that know REAL quality.

Good job, iPUD Tard!

nick

My year-old DVD player was having some "pixellation" problems
with a couple of disks, mostly home burned. So I thought it was
the disk's problem. Then I reread your note and trouped off
to Target where the DVP5140 is on sale for 40 bucks. Snatched
one up feeling I could always return it. But it works great!
All the disks with the pixellation probs play fine now.

Gotta say THANKS!!!

nick

Mike S.

In article <pFLOi.2482$ln.2112@trnddc07>, nick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>My year-old DVD player was having some "pixellation" problems
>with a couple of disks, mostly home burned. So I thought it was
>the disk's problem. Then I reread your note and trouped off
>to Target where the DVP5140 is on sale for 40 bucks. Snatched
>one up feeling I could always return it. But it works great!
>All the disks with the pixellation probs play fine now.
>
>Gotta say THANKS!!!
>
>nick

Though it looks thin and rickety, the transport on the current Philips
players is top notch. My in-laws asked me to help with a
burned-DVD-with-label of a kid's birthday party. It would not read without
errors on a number of players and computer DVD drives. My DVP5960 played
it perfectly without a single hiccup.

"UncleDave" <dhyndman(at)sasktel.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> snip
>
> Best yet, my wife can operate it
>> with only one day of instruction.

> This is probably its best feature. There's nothing worse than having to
> retrain a woman every time she wants to watch a movie.
>
> --- Uncle Dave

I might point out that the 5140 is now on sale for only $40!!

Norm

ChairmanOfTheBored

On Tue, 9 Oct 2007 13:54:01 -0700, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"UncleDave" <dhyndman(at)sasktel.net> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> snip
>>
>> Best yet, my wife can operate it
>>> with only one day of instruction.

>> This is probably its best feature. There's nothing worse than having to
>> retrain a woman every time she wants to watch a movie.
>>
>> --- Uncle Dave

>I might point out that the 5140 is now on sale for only $40!!
>
>Norm

Where, Dude!???

nick

Oh yes, the 5140 plays both PAL and NTSC out of the box, and
there is 10-second hack that will make it region-free as well.

Wish all DVD players were this flexible!

nick

"ChairmanOfTheBored" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 9 Oct 2007 13:54:01 -0700, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>"UncleDave" <dhyndman(at)sasktel.net> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>
>>> snip
>>>
>>> Best yet, my wife can operate it
>>>

>>> This is probably its best feature. There's nothing worse than having to
>>> retrain a woman every time she wants to watch a movie.
>>>
>>> --- Uncle Dave

>>I might point out that the 5140 is now on sale for only $40!!
>>
>>Norm
>>

> Where, Dude!???

Target.

ChairmanOfTheBored

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 11:47:55 -0700, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"ChairmanOfTheBored" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Tue, 9 Oct 2007 13:54:01 -0700, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>"UncleDave" <dhyndman(at)sasktel.net> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>I might point out that the 5140 is now on sale for only $40!!
>>>
>>>Norm
>>>

>> Where, Dude!???

>Target.

Thx. They have a cool "inventory" feature which allows one to find out
if it is in stock, and if not, display all the nearest stores where it
is!

ChairmanOfTheBored

On Tue, 9 Oct 2007 13:54:01 -0700, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"UncleDave" <dhyndman(at)sasktel.net> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> snip
>>
>> Best yet, my wife can operate it
>>> with only one day of instruction.

>> This is probably its best feature. There's nothing worse than having to
>> retrain a woman every time she wants to watch a movie.
>>
>> --- Uncle Dave

>I might point out that the 5140 is now on sale for only $40!!
>
>Norm

Checked Target. Says "out of stock" and lists at $59.99

nick

> Checked Target. Says "out of stock" and lists at $59.99

Wullll, here's a tip. Do wot I did. Just walk into the
flaming store, pick up a DVD player, pay the lady, and
walk the hell out. T'aint bloody rocket science ya know.

My Target had about 8 of them all for forty bucks. Each.

Are you purposely being a troll?? Or just plain stoopid??