Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Basic Question - Looking to view a record not displayed by Grid or DataView

Basic Question - Looking to view a record not displayed by Grid or DataView

daveydave999 daveydave999 is offline
Junior Member

This should probably be an easy question for most of you. I'm brand new to .net but not to asp.

Backend - SQL2000
Language = VB
ASP.net 2.0

I'm doing your basic Search - View Search Results / use hyperlink to view the details of a single record so that I can update said record.

I'll describe it in a 3 file approach:
search.aspx - > SearchResults.aspx (many records) -> Record Detail.aspx (retrieved via hyperlink on SearchResults.aspx)

The problem I'm having is that every example I've read or watched for this type of Update uses a Grid View or DetailsView grid and I don't want to be stuck in a grid. I want to have control over where I place textboxes, dropdowns, checkboxes, etc... I would like absolute control if possible for the Details of the Record but I'm fine with the templates / designs in a grid for the search and searchresults pages. I was able to do this in .asp with tables etc...

What is the best method for displaying record Details in a way which I can have some control on how they are displayed? For example, I don't want any of the template / grid style views.

Can anyone point me to an example or a method for displaying the cell information in a way which I can manipulate the placement of my fields?

I know, probably a very easy answer, but I just haven't come across it!

Dave