Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Making a boot image for hard disk

Making a boot image for hard disk

n o s p a m p l e a s e

My OS is Vista Home Premium. Is there a *freeware* solution to make a
bootable image of hard drive so that in future if I have to reformat,
I can use the image. This will save me from going into the arduous
process of installing various programs one
by one.

Thanx/NSP

Larry

n o s p a m p l e a s e wrote:
> My OS is Vista Home Premium. Is there a *freeware* solution to make a
> bootable image of hard drive so that in future if I have to reformat,
> I can use the image. This will save me from going into the arduous
> process of installing various programs one
> by one.

http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilit...andimage.shtml

Candy Applez

by the time you burn 6-7 dvds for Vista image, you would be better off
reinstallling'

"n o s p a m p l e a s e" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> My OS is Vista Home Premium. Is there a *freeware* solution to make a
> bootable image of hard drive so that in future if I have to reformat,
> I can use the image. This will save me from going into the arduous
> process of installing various programs one
> by one.
>
> Thanx/NSP

ded

"n o s p a m p l e a s e" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> My OS is Vista Home Premium. Is there a *freeware* solution to make a
> bootable image of hard drive so that in future if I have to reformat,
> I can use the image. This will save me from going into the arduous
> process of installing various programs one
> by one.
>
> Thanx/NSP

The best method is to create a cloned/mirror/ghost image,
this is saved to a seperate HD or partition, though you can create
the image across DVD's, but a Vista configuration will require
several, and using DVD for the imaging is a clumsy process.
But as for *freeware* versions for Vista.........???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_cloning
http://www.sharewareconnection.com/t...hard-drive.htm

There are plenty of imaging freeware for XP, this is a Vista
download site, have a rummage:
http://www.bestvistadownloads.com/do...-software.html

n o s p a m p l e a s e

On Oct 5, 4:39 pm, "ded" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "n o s p a m p l e a s e" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in messagenews:(E-Mail Removed) glegroups.com...
>
> > My OS is Vista Home Premium. Is there a *freeware* solution to make a
> > bootable image of hard drive so that in future if I have to reformat,
> > I can use the image. This will save me from going into the arduous
> > process of installing various programs one
> > by one.

> > Thanx/NSP

> The best method is to create a cloned/mirror/ghost image,
> this is saved to a seperate HD or partition, though you can create
> the image across DVD's, but a Vista configuration will require
> several, and using DVD for the imaging is a clumsy process.
> But as for *freeware* versions for Vista.........???

Your advice is well taken but how I can restore it when I need it. I
have never done it before. I have always format the disk using Windows
CD. I need to understand how I can do it from a partition. But before
that how I can create such a partition. Is there anything in Vista
Home Premium that lets me create such a partition.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_cl...hard-drive.htm
>
> There are plenty of imaging freeware for XP, this is a Vista
> download site, have a rummage:http://www.bestvistadownloads.com/do...o-dvd-software...

Thanx. I will loo at these links.

NSP

ded

"n o s p a m p l e a s e" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>Snip

> Your advice is well taken but how I can restore it when I need it. I
> have never done it before. I have always format the disk using Windows
> CD. I need to understand how I can do it from a partition. But before
> that how I can create such a partition. Is there anything in Vista
> Home Premium that lets me create such a partition.

Creating a partition on an existing system drive is a no-no, google:
"creating partition, Vista" and you'll get plenty of hits and heaps of
reading. Partitions on one/same drive are created at installation.
The easiest and safest of all options, is a seperate drive, the obvious
benefit being if the drive with system installed has a hardware failure
the back-up image is safe on a seperate drive - internal or external.
I don't run Vista, so unknown if it has the facility to create partitions.
But clone/image/ghost software have the facility to create a partition
on a drive. And such software, once the seperate drive's partitions
have been created, will allocate a partition and create the image.
The setup/configuration wizard for such software is easy, you just
allocate what drive (C) the reset image would be copied over to if
needed.
Software such as Acronis, Norton Ghost etc, once a image has been
created, within that folder on the back up partition is an icon, double-
clicking it produces a warning that you are about to re-set etc.
You just click to agree and the software does the rest.
The only thing I can't tell you is if any freeware clone/ghost software
exists for Vista.