Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Problem with Excel reports ::::Excel 2003 Migration To Excel 2007

=?Utf-8?B?c2hhc2hhbmsga3Vsa2Fybmk=?=

Hi All,

We are in the process of Upgrade Excel 2003 (Office 2003) to Excel 2007
(Office 2007) for one of web application.
This web application is using Excel (Pivot Table) reports. With Excel 2003
application (Reports) works ok.
But when Office 2003 is upgraded to Office 2007 Excel reports stops working.

It Log the error “Exception from HRESULT: 0x800A03EC.” In database.

Condition:
1) Existing web Application in production (office 2003 installed on
production server)
2) Upgrade to Office 2007 on server , run the excel report
3) Excel Pivot Table reports stops working Log above error in error
database.

Could any one come across this difficulty / Issue?
Please Suggest appropriate solution if any one knows.

Thanks and Regards
Shashank P Kulkarni

Mark Rae [MVP]

"shashank kulkarni" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Could any one come across this difficulty / Issue?

Firstly, server-side Office automation is not supported by Microsoft because
it doesn't work properly - Office just wasn't designed to be run in this
type of environment.

Secondly, you can't just install Office on a webserver because of licensing
issues...

http://www.aspose.com/Products/Aspos...s/Default.aspx

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP

=?Utf-8?B?c2hhc2hhbmsga3Vsa2Fybmk=?=

Hi,

We are using license copy of Excel 2007 (Office 2007 )

Our Project Environment is Like this

1) Web application (Asp.Net 1.1) hosted on windows 2003 server
2) Database is Sql 2000 server
3)This is reporting Application --- reports are genrated using OWC (Office
web component) and also using custom logic which draws flow chart on Excel.
4) Currently in production We are using Office 2003 (Excel 2003 )Client
Requirement is like that to upgrade it to Office 2007 (Excel 2007)
5) We need to upgrade Office 2003 to Office 2007
7) When we do this OWC in built functionality works properly but stops
custom excel download fucntionality (Drawing flow Chart)
But same thing works fine when we just install Excel 2007 with out
upgrading

Could you please put some more highlight on the issue if you find some thing .

Thanks in advance

Regards
Shashank P Kulkarni

"Mark Rae [MVP]" wrote:

> "shashank kulkarni" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > Could any one come across this difficulty / Issue?

> Firstly, server-side Office automation is not supported by Microsoft because
> it doesn't work properly - Office just wasn't designed to be run in this
> type of environment.
>
> Secondly, you can't just install Office on a webserver because of licensing
> issues...
>
> > Please Suggest appropriate solution if any one knows.

> http://www.aspose.com/Products/Aspos...s/Default.aspx
>

> --
> Mark Rae
> ASP.NET MVP
> http://www.markrae.net

Mark Rae [MVP]

"shashank kulkarni" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> 3)This is reporting Application --- reports are genrated using OWC
> (Office
> web component) and also using custom logic which draws flow chart on
> Excel.

There was no mention of OWC in your original post...

However: http://blogs.msdn.com/excel/archive/...17/668544.aspx

Specifically, paragraph 3:

"Microsoft has shipped different versions of OWC in the last three releases
of Microsoft® Office, including Microsoft Office 2003, Microsoft Office XP,
and Microsoft Office 2000, however, the Office Web Components will not ship
with the 2007 Microsoft Office system. The version of OWC that shipped with
the 2003 release of Microsoft Office will be the last revision to this
technology. Additionally, the ability to author OWC-based web pages is also
being removed from Microsoft Office 2007 applications such as Microsoft
Office Excel® 2007 and Microsoft Office Access 2007, and OWC will not ship
with Microsoft Office SharePoint® Designer 2007, which is partially based on
Microsoft Office FrontPage® 2003. Though they will not be updated, the
components will ship with Microsoft Office Project Server 2007."

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP

=?Utf-8?B?c2hhc2hhbmsga3Vsa2Fybmk=?=

for office Web component it is working properly even after upgrading from
Excel 2003 to Excel 2007.
But there are reports which we write using excel object. Like draw some
Flights (Calendar in cells of work book Like this)

Jan feb March April May ..........................

TV ............

Such type of functionality we are providing in this custom excel report .
We are creating XML file to write this data and then convert it to .xls file .
All .xml files created at run time on the server.
This report gives us problem after upgrading to office 2007

Thanks
Shashank

"Mark Rae [MVP]" wrote:

> "shashank kulkarni" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > 3)This is reporting Application --- reports are genrated using OWC
> > (Office
> > web component) and also using custom logic which draws flow chart on
> > Excel.

> There was no mention of OWC in your original post...
>
> However: http://blogs.msdn.com/excel/archive/...17/668544.aspx
>
> Specifically, paragraph 3:
>
> "Microsoft has shipped different versions of OWC in the last three releases
> of Microsoft® Office, including Microsoft Office 2003, Microsoft Office XP,
> and Microsoft Office 2000, however, the Office Web Components will not ship
> with the 2007 Microsoft Office system. The version of OWC that shipped with
> the 2003 release of Microsoft Office will be the last revision to this
> technology. Additionally, the ability to author OWC-based web pages is also
> being removed from Microsoft Office 2007 applications such as Microsoft
> Office Excel® 2007 and Microsoft Office Access 2007, and OWC will not ship
> with Microsoft Office SharePoint® Designer 2007, which is partially based on
> Microsoft Office FrontPage® 2003. Though they will not be updated, the
> components will ship with Microsoft Office Project Server 2007."
>

> --
> Mark Rae
> ASP.NET MVP
> http://www.markrae.net

Mark Rae [MVP]

"shashank kulkarni" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> This report gives us problem after upgrading to office 2007

I'm afraid I don't really know enough about OWC to be of much more help -
have you tried posting in microsoft.public.excel?

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP

=?Utf-8?B?c2hhc2hhbmsga3Vsa2Fybmk=?=

i did post this ??? in microsoft.public.excel forum already

thanks Mark for your quick response

"Mark Rae [MVP]" wrote:

> "shashank kulkarni" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > This report gives us problem after upgrading to office 2007

> I'm afraid I don't really know enough about OWC to be of much more help -
> have you tried posting in microsoft.public.excel?
>

> --
> Mark Rae
> ASP.NET MVP
> http://www.markrae.net

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

You simply need to re-register the OWC component using a command prompt.
That should fix your problem. Your problem isn't related to Office 2007. OWC
is stand-alone because it is statically built and doesn't depend on any
Office product for functionality.

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney

"shashank kulkarni" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>i did post this ??? in microsoft.public.excel forum already
>
> thanks Mark for your quick response
>

> "Mark Rae [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> "shashank kulkarni" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> > This report gives us problem after upgrading to office 2007

>> I'm afraid I don't really know enough about OWC to be of much more help -
>> have you tried posting in microsoft.public.excel?
>>

>> --
>> Mark Rae
>> ASP.NET MVP
>> http://www.markrae.net

Gorgo

On 6 Pa, 04:16, "Alvin Bruney [MVP]" <some guy without an email
address> wrote:
> You simply need to re-register the OWC component using a command prompt.
> That should fix your problem. Your problem isn't related to Office2007. OWC
> is stand-alone because it is statically built and doesn't depend on any
> Office product for functionality.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Alvin Bruney
> Shameless Author Plug
> OWC Black Book 2nd Edition
> Exclusively onwww.lulu.com/owc
> $24.99
>
> "shashank kulkarni" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> messagenews:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> >i did post this ??? in microsoft.public.excelforum already

> > thanks Mark for your quick response

> > "Mark Rae [MVP]" wrote:

> >> "shashank kulkarni" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> >> messagenews:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> I'm afraid I don't really know enough about OWC to be of much more help -
> >> have you tried posting in microsoft.public.excel?

> >> --
> >> Mark Rae
> >> ASP.NET MVP
> >>http://www.markrae.net- Ukryj cytowany tekst -

> - Poka cytowany tekst -

Hey

I think you missundestand Shashank. He said that he have problem with
excel object not with OWC.

To be honest I've enconter the same problem and stuck looking for some
solution. If anyone have some ideas what could be wrong then I'll
really appreciate it.

going into more details I need to add that I get this error message
only when I call SaveAs method and pass as FileFormat value diffrent
the "Type.Missing".

thank you in advance for any clue
regards
Gorgo

Mark Rae [MVP]

"Gorgo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> I think you missundestand Shashank. He said that he have problem with
> excel object not with OWC.
>
> To be honest I've enconter the same problem and stuck looking for some
> solution. If anyone have some ideas what could be wrong then I'll
> really appreciate it.
>
> going into more details I need to add that I get this error message
> only when I call SaveAs method and pass as FileFormat value diffrent
> the "Type.Missing".

Read the thread again. If you're trying to use server-side Office automation
in ASP.NET, this is never going to work...

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP