Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Adding Windows XP to Existing wireless network

Adding Windows XP to Existing wireless network

=?Utf-8?B?a2V2aW5ldW4=?=

I have a Dell latitude running XP SP2. I'd like to add it as a wireless
device to a network consisting of a G4 etherneted to an Airport and two
ibooks connected wirelessly.
At present I have been able to establish wireless email and browsing for the
XP. I can even access the Dell's shared files folder from the G4.
However, I can't see any of the Apples from the Dell, and I can't print to
the networked printer.

Malke

kevineun wrote:

> I have a Dell latitude running XP SP2. I'd like to add it as a
> wireless device to a network consisting of a G4 etherneted to an
> Airport and two ibooks connected wirelessly.
> At present I have been able to establish wireless email and browsing
> for the XP. I can even access the Dell's shared files folder from the
> G4. However, I can't see any of the Apples from the Dell, and I can't
> print to the networked printer.

You have to run Samba on the Apples. It's very easy on the Mac. Look in
the Mac Help files or Google "file sharing Apple XP".

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

=?Utf-8?B?a2V2aW5ldW4=?=

Very good, thank you. We're most of the way there. I can't see the shared
printer on the XP, although I can see it from the other Apples (also
wireless).

"Malke" wrote:

> kevineun wrote:
>
> > I have a Dell latitude running XP SP2. I'd like to add it as a
> > wireless device to a network consisting of a G4 etherneted to an
> > Airport and two ibooks connected wirelessly.
> > At present I have been able to establish wireless email and browsing
> > for the XP. I can even access the Dell's shared files folder from the
> > G4. However, I can't see any of the Apples from the Dell, and I can't
> > print to the networked printer.

> You have to run Samba on the Apples. It's very easy on the Mac. Look in
> the Mac Help files or Google "file sharing Apple XP".
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

kevineun wrote:

> Very good, thank you. We're most of the way there. I can't see the
> shared printer on the XP, although I can see it from the other Apples
> (also wireless).

Make sure you've enabled File & Printer Sharing in XP's Firewall and
shared out the printer.

Malke