Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Restart bypassing Boot screen

Restart bypassing Boot screen

Kue2

Here's a new one:
This just started happening. When I restart in Vista 64 the restart process
by passes the OS boot choices screen & goes directly to vista logon
screen.(I have a duel boot system).LOL
If I choose shutdown,then boot it goes to the OS boot choices screen.
If I boot to winxp 64 then re-start it also by passes the OS boot choice
screen & goes directly to the Vista Logon screen. LOL. I have to shut-down
then boot to get the OS boot screen.
How do I fix this? LOL
This system amazes me,everytime I get a problem sorted out, a new one pops
up LOL.

=?Utf-8?B?TWljayBNdXJwaHk=?=

http://www.vistabootpro.org/

You are the one dual-booting; don't blame Vista!

"Kue2" wrote:

> Here's a new one:
> This just started happening. When I restart in Vista 64 the restart process
> by passes the OS boot choices screen & goes directly to vista logon
> screen.(I have a duel boot system).LOL
> If I choose shutdown,then boot it goes to the OS boot choices screen.
> If I boot to winxp 64 then re-start it also by passes the OS boot choice
> screen & goes directly to the Vista Logon screen. LOL. I have to shut-down
> then boot to get the OS boot screen.
> How do I fix this? LOL
> This system amazes me,everytime I get a problem sorted out, a new one pops
> up LOL.

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Kue2:
This may sound not logical but...
Try increasing a few secs the time assigned for the boot menu screen to show
up.
Carlos

"Kue2" wrote:

> Here's a new one:
> This just started happening. When I restart in Vista 64 the restart process
> by passes the OS boot choices screen & goes directly to vista logon
> screen.(I have a duel boot system).LOL
> If I choose shutdown,then boot it goes to the OS boot choices screen.
> If I boot to winxp 64 then re-start it also by passes the OS boot choice
> screen & goes directly to the Vista Logon screen. LOL. I have to shut-down
> then boot to get the OS boot screen.
> How do I fix this? LOL
> This system amazes me,everytime I get a problem sorted out, a new one pops
> up LOL.

Tony Sperling

This sounds logical to me. But since the menu appears on a cold-boot that
means it can be configured in more places than one - each OS might have a
reg. key and the boot option might have it's own internal configuration that
might conflict?

In the BIOS?

(Re-installing the Boot Menu? Remember, I'm not on Vista myself.)

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Kue2:
> This may sound not logical but...
> Try increasing a few secs the time assigned for the boot menu screen to
> show
> up.
> Carlos
>
> "Kue2" wrote:
>
>> Here's a new one:
>> This just started happening. When I restart in Vista 64 the restart
>> process
>> by passes the OS boot choices screen & goes directly to vista logon
>> screen.(I have a duel boot system).LOL
>> If I choose shutdown,then boot it goes to the OS boot choices screen.
>> If I boot to winxp 64 then re-start it also by passes the OS boot choice
>> screen & goes directly to the Vista Logon screen. LOL. I have to
>> shut-down
>> then boot to get the OS boot screen.
>> How do I fix this? LOL
>> This system amazes me,everytime I get a problem sorted out, a new one
>> pops
>> up LOL.

John Barnes

I would run startup repair. Since both reboots use the bootmgr and BCD,
something has been corrupted.
You could set up another partition (same or different hd) to be the object
of the repair or just run it one the current one and see if it sees the
corruption. If it doesn't see the corruption and the problem persists, I
would move the boot files into a new folder and run boot repair to replace
it on the drive.

"Kue2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Here's a new one:
> This just started happening. When I restart in Vista 64 the restart
> process by passes the OS boot choices screen & goes directly to vista
> logon screen.(I have a duel boot system).LOL
> If I choose shutdown,then boot it goes to the OS boot choices screen.
> If I boot to winxp 64 then re-start it also by passes the OS boot choice
> screen & goes directly to the Vista Logon screen. LOL. I have to shut-down
> then boot to get the OS boot screen.
> How do I fix this? LOL
> This system amazes me,everytime I get a problem sorted out, a new one pops
> up LOL.

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

John:
Following your line of thought, EasyBCD or VistabootPro might be useful at
this stage.
They have the option of diagonosing and/or rebuilding Vista bootloader if
necessary.
Carlos

"John Barnes" wrote:

> I would run startup repair. Since both reboots use the bootmgr and BCD,
> something has been corrupted.
> You could set up another partition (same or different hd) to be the object
> of the repair or just run it one the current one and see if it sees the
> corruption. If it doesn't see the corruption and the problem persists, I
> would move the boot files into a new folder and run boot repair to replace
> it on the drive.
>
> "Kue2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Here's a new one:
> > This just started happening. When I restart in Vista 64 the restart
> > process by passes the OS boot choices screen & goes directly to vista
> > logon screen.(I have a duel boot system).LOL
> > If I choose shutdown,then boot it goes to the OS boot choices screen.
> > If I boot to winxp 64 then re-start it also by passes the OS boot choice
> > screen & goes directly to the Vista Logon screen. LOL. I have to shut-down
> > then boot to get the OS boot screen.
> > How do I fix this? LOL
> > This system amazes me,everytime I get a problem sorted out, a new one pops
> > up LOL.

Kue2

Thanks guys for your thoughts as to what's going on.Carlos I am using Vista
Boot Pro version 3.3.I have been using it since it came out.
The funny thing now happening it is occurring on a intermittent basis.I
never know whether the boot choice screen will be there. If I watch closely
I can actually see the screen fly by. When it does it goes directly to Vista
logon.I then can shut down.Booting again brings the OS choices screen back.

news(E-Mail Removed)...
> John:
> Following your line of thought, EasyBCD or VistabootPro might be useful at
> this stage.
> They have the option of diagonosing and/or rebuilding Vista bootloader if
> necessary.
> Carlos
>
> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
>> I would run startup repair. Since both reboots use the bootmgr and BCD,
>> something has been corrupted.
>> You could set up another partition (same or different hd) to be the
>> object
>> of the repair or just run it one the current one and see if it sees the
>> corruption. If it doesn't see the corruption and the problem persists, I
>> would move the boot files into a new folder and run boot repair to
>> replace
>> it on the drive.
>>
>> "Kue2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Here's a new one:
>> > This just started happening. When I restart in Vista 64 the restart
>> > process by passes the OS boot choices screen & goes directly to vista
>> > logon screen.(I have a duel boot system).LOL
>> > If I choose shutdown,then boot it goes to the OS boot choices screen.
>> > If I boot to winxp 64 then re-start it also by passes the OS boot
>> > choice
>> > screen & goes directly to the Vista Logon screen. LOL. I have to
>> > shut-down
>> > then boot to get the OS boot screen.
>> > How do I fix this? LOL
>> > This system amazes me,everytime I get a problem sorted out, a new one
>> > pops
>> > up LOL.

Kue2

I notice in Msconfig - Boot there is a box you can tick to make boot
settings permanent.
What are the consequences of ticking this box?

"Kue2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:O6v$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks guys for your thoughts as to what's going on.Carlos I am using
> Vista Boot Pro version 3.3.I have been using it since it came out.
> The funny thing now happening it is occurring on a intermittent basis.I
> never know whether the boot choice screen will be there. If I watch
> closely I can actually see the screen fly by. When it does it goes
> directly to Vista logon.I then can shut down.Booting again brings the OS
> choices screen back.

> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> John:
>> Following your line of thought, EasyBCD or VistabootPro might be useful
>> at
>> this stage.
>> They have the option of diagonosing and/or rebuilding Vista bootloader if
>> necessary.
>> Carlos
>>
>> "John Barnes" wrote:
>>
>>> I would run startup repair. Since both reboots use the bootmgr and BCD,
>>> something has been corrupted.
>>> You could set up another partition (same or different hd) to be the
>>> object
>>> of the repair or just run it one the current one and see if it sees the
>>> corruption. If it doesn't see the corruption and the problem persists,
>>> would move the boot files into a new folder and run boot repair to
>>> replace
>>> it on the drive.
>>>
>>> "Kue2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Kue2

Carlos I changed the time by 5 sec it did not make a difference.

"Kue2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I notice in Msconfig - Boot there is a box you can tick to make boot
>settings permanent.
> What are the consequences of ticking this box?
>
> "Kue2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:O6v$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thanks guys for your thoughts as to what's going on.Carlos I am using
>> Vista Boot Pro version 3.3.I have been using it since it came out.
>> The funny thing now happening it is occurring on a intermittent basis.I
>> never know whether the boot choice screen will be there. If I watch
>> closely I can actually see the screen fly by. When it does it goes
>> directly to Vista logon.I then can shut down.Booting again brings the OS
>> choices screen back.

>> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> John:
>>> Following your line of thought, EasyBCD or VistabootPro might be useful
>>> at
>>> this stage.
>>> They have the option of diagonosing and/or rebuilding Vista bootloader
>>> if
>>> necessary.
>>> Carlos

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Kue2:
I am running out of ideas down here.
Try John's suggestions (startup repair with Vista DVD) and cross your
fingers (did you try that one? )
Carlos