Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > MQC based QOS and locally generated packets

MQC based QOS and locally generated packets

anon6111@hotmail.com

Hi,

I have am converting a number of our sites from priority queue based
QOS to MQC based QOS. Previously we were marking packets generated by
the local router using "ip local policy route-map". How does MQC based
QOS treat locally generated packets? I can't see how they could be
marked using MQC based QOS because the policies need to be associated
with interfaces and packets generated by the local router are
essentially "interfaceless".

Thanks in advance.

Merv

On Oct 4, 9:19 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have am converting a number of our sites from priority queue based
> QOS to MQC based QOS. Previously we were marking packets generated by
> the local router using "ip local policy route-map". How does MQC based
> QOS treat locally generated packets? I can't see how they could be
> marked using MQC based QOS because the policies need to be associated
> with interfaces and packets generated by the local router are
> essentially "interfaceless".
>
> Thanks in advance.

perhaps control plane policing (CPP)

Configuring Control Plane Policing on Output ICMP Traffic: Example
The following example shows how to apply a QoS policy for aggregate CP
services to Telnet traffic transmitted from the control plane. Trusted
networks with source addresses 3.3.3.0 and 4.4.4.0 receive Internet
Control Management Protocol (ICMP) port-unreachable responses without
constraint, while allowing all remaining ICMP port-unreachable

! Allow 3.3.3.0 trusted network traffic.
Router(config)# access-list 141 deny icmp 3.3.3.0 0.0.0.255 any port-
unreachable
! Allow 4.4.4.0 trusted network traffic.
Router(config)# access-list 141 deny icmp 4.4.4.0 0.0.0.255 any port-
unreachable
! Rate limit all other ICMP traffic.
Router(config)# access-list 141 permit icmp any any port-unreachable
Router(config)# class-map icmp-class
Router(config-cmap)# match access-group 141
Router(config-cmap)# exit
Router(config)# policy-map control-plane-out
! Drop all traffic that matches the class "icmp-class."
Router(config-pmap)# class icmp-class
Router(config-pmap-c)# drop
Router(config-pmap-c)# exit
Router(config-pmap)# exit
Router(config)# control-plane
! Define aggregate control plane service for the active route
processor.
Router(config-cp)# service-policy output control-plane-out
Router(config-cp)# exit

anon6111@hotmail.com

Thanks for your comments Merv. Control plane policing works great
where you need to protect the central packet processing engine in a
switch or router from DOS attacks coming in on the line cards. It is
not really what I am after here, since I am interested in QOS'ing
traffic originated by the router that travels over the WAN.

I guess I'll stick with a local policy route map.

Thanks for your time.