Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > $3,000 Paper Weight

$3,000 Paper Weight

miso@sushi.com

On Oct 4, 7:02 pm, "Dennis Pack" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Stryker:
> Charlies' answer addresses Vista x64 problems. Currently the Nvidia
> drivers for SLI cards is very similar to SOS, that's why many are switching
> to ATI video cards. Currently over-clocking can be very unstable. With the
> BSOD and issues with 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems sounds like this
> was an OEM build with a corrupt image installed. If you purchased this
> system complete contact the builder or supplier for a resolution. If this is
> a home built system, formatting the hard drive then installing Vista x64
> fresh should cure the problems. I'm not familiar with "Pure Edge" software
> but it may install properly if the .EXE file is run as an administrator or
> if it's installed in compatibility mode. Glad to hear that you're home safe.
> Have a great day.
>
> --
> Dennis Pack
> XP x64 SP2, Vista Enterprise x64
> Office Professional Plus 2007
>
> "Stryker Infantry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> messagenews(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > So I had this Really nice gaming computer built. Its running this really
> > great OS called Vista 64. (WTFE)

> > Its causing a yellow line to run down my screen on the right side.
> > Its not turning my computer off when i tell it to.
> > Its not even being recognized as a 64bit OS when it comes to driver
> > installs
> > to fix the SLI issue im having with my 8800GTX's.
> > Windows updates are not even installing because of "bad Installs" or so
> > Vista tells me.
> > Pure Edge Don't work. Thank god I'm a non-commissioned officer and have to
> > use pure edge to counsel my fire team monthly.

> > But on the good news Its recognizing my 4 gigs of ram.

> > How can I fix these issues besides loading my .45 and putting it out of
> > its
> > misery and microwaving the Vista CD?

> > Nvida tells me im trying to install a 64bit program on a 32bit OS, then
> > tells me im trying to install a 32bit program on a 64bit OS.......along
> > with
> > the number of issues I'm having how can i fix this seriously?

I changed over to ATI for the last 3 systems I built. Yeah, maybe
Nvidia runs faster, but ATI cards are fast enough and much less
trouble. I have no trouble using nvidia chipsets, i.e. for the mobo.
Actually, to be more accurate, make that ATI chipsets on cards made
from gigabyte. A bit OT, but the only gigabyte components I've found
to be troublesome are their fans. One failed after a year, and another
is making noise. I've been using zalman for replacements.

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Stryker:
Does your power supply have enough muscle for your system?
I mean, having two 8800GTX's places a heavy drain on the PS.
I have not done the math but I guess that 800 watt would be the bare minimum
for your rig.
Carlos

"Stryker Infantry" wrote:

> I went through bios and the only 2 options was S1, and S3
> It was set for S1, and i changed it to S3.
> No dice still will not power off, OR restart. Sure it goes through the
> motions...LCD goes black, HD light goes then stops....fans continue to run,
> LCD Proc temp gauge on tower still runs, Thermal Lake AC unit still spins,
> and blue lights are still on inside the tower. Any guesses?
>
> "Carlos" wrote:
>
> > Stryker:
> > For the "not turning my computer off" issue, check the power settings in BIOS.
> > Carlos
> >
> > "Stryker Infantry" wrote:
> >
> > > So I had this Really nice gaming computer built. Its running this really
> > > great OS called Vista 64. (WTFE)
> > >
> > > Its causing a yellow line to run down my screen on the right side.
> > > Its not turning my computer off when i tell it to.
> > > Its not even being recognized as a 64bit OS when it comes to driver installs
> > > to fix the SLI issue im having with my 8800GTX's.
> > > Windows updates are not even installing because of "bad Installs" or so
> > > Vista tells me.
> > > Pure Edge Don't work. Thank god I'm a non-commissioned officer and have to
> > > use pure edge to counsel my fire team monthly.
> > >
> > > But on the good news Its recognizing my 4 gigs of ram.
> > >
> > > How can I fix these issues besides loading my .45 and putting it out of its
> > > misery and microwaving the Vista CD?
> > >
> > > Nvida tells me im trying to install a 64bit program on a 32bit OS, then
> > > tells me im trying to install a 32bit program on a 64bit OS.......along with
> > > the number of issues I'm having how can i fix this seriously?

Eric

Stryker,
From a fellow vet who just retired after 28 years combined service,
"Welcome Home"! Glad you're safe.

For those not in the know, in an effort to go "paperless", DoD (and
other US Government agencies as well) purchased a program called
PureEdge. Several States and Educational agencies have migrated to
PureEdge as well. It is simular to Adobes PDF files, in that many of
the documents/forms are electronic, you fill in the blanks, save it as
a file, and can forward it in electronic form.

Stryker, I've been out of the "IT" loop for a few months, so I would
recommend that you check with your IT folks to see how you can go
about contacting the folks at PureEdge to see if their software's
Vista64 compatable, and/or if they have work arounds, etc. BUT,
I'd hold off till you get the NIVIDA, BSOD, and Windows updates
issues squared away first! Like others have suggested, if you
purchased the system "out of the box" (pre-built), then your first
call should be to the place you purchased it from.

Good Luck

On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 22:02:10 -0400, "Dennis Pack"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Stryker:
> Charlies' answer addresses Vista x64 problems. Currently the Nvidia
>drivers for SLI cards is very similar to SOS, that's why many are switching
>to ATI video cards. Currently over-clocking can be very unstable. With the
>BSOD and issues with 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems sounds like this
>was an OEM build with a corrupt image installed. If you purchased this
>system complete contact the builder or supplier for a resolution. If this is
>a home built system, formatting the hard drive then installing Vista x64
>fresh should cure the problems. I'm not familiar with "Pure Edge" software
>but it may install properly if the .EXE file is run as an administrator or
>if it's installed in compatibility mode. Glad to hear that you're home safe.
>Have a great day.

Tony Sperling

Indeed - and that might not even do it. In any case, any kind of Watt
wouldn't do it. It would have to be prime quality Watt!

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Stryker:
> Does your power supply have enough muscle for your system?
> I mean, having two 8800GTX's places a heavy drain on the PS.
> I have not done the math but I guess that 800 watt would be the bare
> minimum
> for your rig.
> Carlos
>
> "Stryker Infantry" wrote:
>
>> I went through bios and the only 2 options was S1, and S3
>> It was set for S1, and i changed it to S3.
>> No dice still will not power off, OR restart. Sure it goes through the
>> motions...LCD goes black, HD light goes then stops....fans continue to
>> run,
>> LCD Proc temp gauge on tower still runs, Thermal Lake AC unit still
>> spins,
>> and blue lights are still on inside the tower. Any guesses?
>>
>> "Carlos" wrote:
>>
>> > Stryker:
>> > For the "not turning my computer off" issue, check the power settings
>> > in BIOS.
>> > Carlos

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Moreover, unplugging one of the two graphic cards might also help in the
debugging.
I mean, eliminate SLI as one of the possible root causes.
Your usual (and common sense) suggestion: unplug/disable all non-essential
software in the debugging stage, right?
Carlos

"Tony Sperling mail.dk>" wrote:

> Indeed - and that might not even do it. In any case, any kind of Watt
> wouldn't do it. It would have to be prime quality Watt!
>

> Tony. . .

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Stryker:
> > Does your power supply have enough muscle for your system?
> > I mean, having two 8800GTX's places a heavy drain on the PS.
> > I have not done the math but I guess that 800 watt would be the bare
> > minimum
> > for your rig.
> > Carlos
> >
> > "Stryker Infantry" wrote:
> >
> >> I went through bios and the only 2 options was S1, and S3
> >> It was set for S1, and i changed it to S3.
> >> No dice still will not power off, OR restart. Sure it goes through the
> >> motions...LCD goes black, HD light goes then stops....fans continue to
> >> run,
> >> LCD Proc temp gauge on tower still runs, Thermal Lake AC unit still
> >> spins,
> >> and blue lights are still on inside the tower. Any guesses?

Tony Sperling

Absolutely, if the car stops in the middle of nowhere check the easy things
(gas & spark) before ordering a new engine!

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Moreover, unplugging one of the two graphic cards might also help in the
> debugging.
> I mean, eliminate SLI as one of the possible root causes.
> Your usual (and common sense) suggestion: unplug/disable all non-essential
> software in the debugging stage, right?
> Carlos
>
> "Tony Sperling mail.dk>" wrote:
>
>> Indeed - and that might not even do it. In any case, any kind of Watt
>> wouldn't do it. It would have to be prime quality Watt!
>>

>> Tony. . .

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Stryker:
>> > Does your power supply have enough muscle for your system?
>> > I mean, having two 8800GTX's places a heavy drain on the PS.
>> > I have not done the math but I guess that 800 watt would be the bare
>> > minimum
>> > for your rig.
>> > Carlos

Charlie Russel - MVP

I'm guessing that I DID see that you were running Vista. And my
recommendations stand.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

> [...]
> use a 64 bit installer and vice versa (which means no0 matter what im
> downloading im getting the exact opposite error IE 64bit OS/32 bit
> Installer,
> 32bit OS/64bit installer.
>
> I'm guessing my only cure is to microwave my Vista CD, and my hardrive to
> the range and shoot it.
>
> In all honesty, I just got done with 15 months in Iraq, I spent money I
> earned with my blood...can you honestly say you bought something with hard
> earned money brought on by blood,sweat and tears? I can honestly say I
> used
> blood money to buy Vista 64 and in order to talk to tech support for MS i
> have to pay them more money????
>

> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> All of the video problems you're going to have to talk to nVidia. Good
>> luck.
>> We can't help with their drivers, except to suggest that going back to
>> the
>> ones that ship with Vista is a lot safer. Maybe not as "tweaked" as the
>> latest from nvidia, but more reliable.
>>
>> As for other problems, you really need to start by figuring out why
>> windows
>> updates won't install. And for that, you'll need to go to the right
>> newsgroup, since most of us are focused around 64bit issues exclusively.
>> Try
>> microsoft.public.windowsupdate. The folks who hang out there should be
>> better equipped to troubleshoot your problem.
>>
>> One thing I would strongly suggest. Disable ANY overclocking you might be
>> doing, and also make sure that your RAM and cabling, etc., is well
>> seated.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>

>> "Stryker Infantry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> message news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > So I had this Really nice gaming computer built. Its running this
>> > really
>> > great OS called Vista 64. (WTFE)
>> >
>> > Its causing a yellow line to run down my screen on the right side.
>> > Its not turning my computer off when i tell it to.
>> > Its not even being recognized as a 64bit OS when it comes to driver
>> > installs
>> > to fix the SLI issue im having with my 8800GTX's.
>> > Windows updates are not even installing because of "bad Installs" or so
>> > Vista tells me.
>> > Pure Edge Don't work. Thank god I'm a non-commissioned officer and have
>> > use pure edge to counsel my fire team monthly.
>> >
>> > But on the good news Its recognizing my 4 gigs of ram.
>> >
>> > How can I fix these issues besides loading my .45 and putting it out of
>> > its
>> > misery and microwaving the Vista CD?
>> >
>> > Nvida tells me im trying to install a 64bit program on a 32bit OS, then
>> > tells me im trying to install a 32bit program on a 64bit OS.......along
>> > with
>> > the number of issues I'm having how can i fix this seriously?

=?Utf-8?B?U3RyeWtlciBJbmZhbnRyeQ==?=

Yeah im running a 8800 SLI certified Thermal Lake 850w

"Carlos" wrote:

> Stryker:
> Does your power supply have enough muscle for your system?
> I mean, having two 8800GTX's places a heavy drain on the PS.
> I have not done the math but I guess that 800 watt would be the bare minimum
> for your rig.
> Carlos
>
> "Stryker Infantry" wrote:
>
> > I went through bios and the only 2 options was S1, and S3
> > It was set for S1, and i changed it to S3.
> > No dice still will not power off, OR restart. Sure it goes through the
> > motions...LCD goes black, HD light goes then stops....fans continue to run,
> > LCD Proc temp gauge on tower still runs, Thermal Lake AC unit still spins,
> > and blue lights are still on inside the tower. Any guesses?
> >
> > "Carlos" wrote:
> >
> > > Stryker:
> > > For the "not turning my computer off" issue, check the power settings in BIOS.
> > > Carlos

=?Utf-8?B?U3RyeWtlciBJbmZhbnRyeQ==?=

Doing a clean install but its not letting me reformat. It just re-installed
vista over the old instance. Sorry bout being rude, but i got a few anger
issues im working to fix, and I dont like wasting money....let alone little
over 3k.

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> Are you absolutely certain 64 bit Windows Vista is installed?
> Both 32 and 64 bit will install on 64 bit hardware and 32 bit Windows
> is what many get from OEMs with 64 bit hardware.
> Right click Computer and click Properties if unsure.
>
> Make sure the drivers are appropriate for your Windows, (64 bit
> drivers for 64 bit Windows)
> Only get drivers from the hardware manufacturers and avoid Beta
> drivers.
> Use only Windows Vista certified drivers.
>
> If there is any over clocking, undo it until you have resolved all
> issues.
>
> Power off and reseat all cables and connections.
>
> Try a Clean Install to see if problems go away.
> Since the computer is new, perhaps there is little if nothing to lose.
>
> If the computer cam from an OEM, contact them for support, you may
> have hardware issues.
>
> "in order to talk to tech support for MS i have to pay them more
> money"
> If Windows Vista is OEM, that is normal.
> Support for OEM, if available, comes from the seller and not
> Microsoft.
> If you built the computer yourself with OEM Windows, you provide all
> the support.
> One of the many reasons you pay less for OEM.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "Stryker Infantry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> in message news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > So I had this Really nice gaming computer built. Its running this
> > really
> > great OS called Vista 64. (WTFE)
> >
> > Its causing a yellow line to run down my screen on the right side.
> > Its not turning my computer off when i tell it to.
> > Its not even being recognized as a 64bit OS when it comes to driver
> > installs
> > to fix the SLI issue im having with my 8800GTX's.
> > Windows updates are not even installing because of "bad Installs" or
> > so
> > Vista tells me.
> > Pure Edge Don't work. Thank god I'm a non-commissioned officer and
> > have to
> > use pure edge to counsel my fire team monthly.
> >
> > But on the good news Its recognizing my 4 gigs of ram.
> >
> > How can I fix these issues besides loading my .45 and putting it out
> > of its
> > misery and microwaving the Vista CD?
> >
> > Nvida tells me im trying to install a 64bit program on a 32bit OS,
> > then
> > tells me im trying to install a 32bit program on a 64bit
> > OS.......along with
> > the number of issues I'm having how can i fix this seriously?

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Stryker:
I would still try unplugging one of the two 8800's during this debugging
stage.
Regarding the issue that Vista does not allow you to reformat during the
installation stage, have you tried asking it to delete the partition and then
reformat it?
Carlos