Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Viewing Photos in Internet Explorer Different to Windows Photo Gallery

Viewing Photos in Internet Explorer Different to Windows Photo Gallery

Ali

I have an 8 bit, sRGB, JPEG image (that I converted in Photoshop from a 16
bit, Nikon sRGB, TIFF image, which I scanned using a Nikon 35mm negative
scanner).

When I open it in Internet Explorer 7, it looks exactly like it should.
However, when I open it in Windows Photo Gallery (comes with Windows Vista),
the contrast looks crap. The blacks aren't black anymore.

Anyone know why this is?

PS: Sorry for X-posting, but I don't know what category this falls into.

Synapse Syndrome

"Ali" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> I have an 8 bit, sRGB, JPEG image (that I converted in Photoshop from
> a 16 bit, Nikon sRGB, TIFF image, which I scanned using a Nikon 35mm
> negative scanner).
>
> When I open it in Internet Explorer 7, it looks exactly like it
> should. However, when I open it in Windows Photo Gallery (comes with
> Windows Vista), the contrast looks crap. The blacks aren't black
> anymore.
> Anyone know why this is?

Its because Photo Gallery uses ICC Profiles. Check the monitor profile
being used. It should have appeared like that in graphics software, like
Photoshop, as well, if you were using the correct ICC Profile. What have
you embedded into the files when you were using Photoshop? I use sRGB or
BruceRGB.

If you have been using the correct ICC profile on your scanner, and your
monitor profile is correct, this is how the pictures should appear when you
print them on a printer, which is using accurate profiles.

So, if I had images that had poor contrast, after hacking the ICC profiles
on all devices, I would correct them in Photoshop, using Curves.

ss.

Adam Albright

On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 19:06:59 +0100, "Ali" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have an 8 bit, sRGB, JPEG image (that I converted in Photoshop from a 16
>bit, Nikon sRGB, TIFF image, which I scanned using a Nikon 35mm negative
>scanner).
>
>When I open it in Internet Explorer 7, it looks exactly like it should.
>However, when I open it in Windows Photo Gallery (comes with Windows Vista),
>the contrast looks crap. The blacks aren't black anymore.
>
>Anyone know why this is?

Photo Galley uses some "standard" color profile while Photoshop is
capable of using many different which should give better results. How
much control you have in Photoshop and how easy it easy to change
depends on what version you're using. The last several versions of
Photoshop have more refined color management features.

I wouldn't use Photo Galley to print from. Restrict it to simply
offering a quick way to browse your photos. You already have the best
photo enhancement software on the planet in Photoshop. Do all your
adjustment and PRINTING from it. End of story.

I'll assume you know how to use Photoshop's powerful tools to adjust
levels and curves which is the PROFESSIONAL way to make adjustments.

Ali

Hello Adam

I am not looking to print the photo, it is just for viewing on PC screens,
which is the main reason why I am using sRGB. I have already adjusted the
image with curves, levels, hue/saturation, unsharp mask, etc. before
converting the image to JPEG. However, the same final JPEG image appears
very different in Windows Photo Gallery (blacks are not black) to PS and
IE7.

"Adam Albright" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...

> Photo Galley uses some "standard" color profile while Photoshop is
> capable of using many different which should give better results. How
> much control you have in Photoshop and how easy it easy to change
> depends on what version you're using. The last several versions of
> Photoshop have more refined color management features.
>
> I wouldn't use Photo Galley to print from. Restrict it to simply
> offering a quick way to browse your photos. You already have the best
> photo enhancement software on the planet in Photoshop. Do all your
> adjustment and PRINTING from it. End of story.
>
> I'll assume you know how to use Photoshop's powerful tools to adjust
> levels and curves which is the PROFESSIONAL way to make adjustments.

Ali

Hello Synapse Syndrome

I must admit, colour spaces blow my mind. Therefore, maybe you are on the
right lines.

I have a Color Spyder, but after calibrating my monitors with it, I wasn't
happy with the results as I could see it wasn't right. Therefore, I went
back to Adobe Gamma.

Could there be a conflict? For example, Photo Gallery is using the old
Color Spyder profile, but PS CS and IE7 are using Adobe Gamma?

"Synapse Syndrome" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Its because Photo Gallery uses ICC Profiles. Check the monitor profile
> being used. It should have appeared like that in graphics software, like
> Photoshop, as well, if you were using the correct ICC Profile. What have
> you embedded into the files when you were using Photoshop? I use sRGB or
> BruceRGB.
>
> If you have been using the correct ICC profile on your scanner, and your
> monitor profile is correct, this is how the pictures should appear when
> you print them on a printer, which is using accurate profiles.
>
> So, if I had images that had poor contrast, after hacking the ICC profiles
> on all devices, I would correct them in Photoshop, using Curves.
>
> ss.

Synapse Syndrome

"Ali" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> Hello Adam
>
> I am not looking to print the photo, it is just for viewing on PC
> screens, which is the main reason why I am using sRGB. I have
> already adjusted the image with curves, levels, hue/saturation,
> unsharp mask, etc. before converting the image to JPEG. However, the
> same final JPEG image appears very different in Windows Photo Gallery
> (blacks are not black) to PS and IE7.

There was somebody else with this problem here a couple of days ago, and it
seems to be a common problem with Photo Gallery:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...+Gallery&meta=

Most of the soultions that I have glanced at seem to involve making sRGB
IEC61966-2.1 your monitor profile.

This seems to be a stupid thing to do, just to make things look okay in
Photo Gallery, as it will mess everything else up, as you will not be able
to see the colours properly corrected for your particular monitor.

Unless there is a better solution there, maybe you should forget about Photo
Gallery and use something like Adobe Bridge, Adobe Lightroom or ACDSee Pro
instead.

ss.

Ali

Hello Synapse Syndrome

Thank you for your reply. To be honest, I don't use Windows Photo Gallery
myself. But, I was seeing how the image would be displayed on a PC where
this was the default image viewer.

"Synapse Syndrome" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> There was somebody else with this problem here a couple of days ago, and
> it seems to be a common problem with Photo Gallery:
>
> http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...+Gallery&meta=
>
> Most of the soultions that I have glanced at seem to involve making sRGB
> IEC61966-2.1 your monitor profile.
>
> This seems to be a stupid thing to do, just to make things look okay in
> Photo Gallery, as it will mess everything else up, as you will not be able
> to see the colours properly corrected for your particular monitor.
>
> Unless there is a better solution there, maybe you should forget about
> Photo Gallery and use something like Adobe Bridge, Adobe Lightroom or
> ACDSee Pro instead.
>
> ss.

Synapse Syndrome

"Ali" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> Hello Synapse Syndrome
>
> I must admit, colour spaces blow my mind. Therefore, maybe you are
> on the right lines.
>
> I have a Color Spyder, but after calibrating my monitors with it, I
> wasn't happy with the results as I could see it wasn't right. Therefore, I
> went back to Adobe Gamma.
>
> Could there be a conflict? For example, Photo Gallery is using the
> old Color Spyder profile, but PS CS and IE7 are using Adobe Gamma?

I have had confusing problems regarding ICC profiles in the past as well.

IIRC, I had some problem with a profile being used for my screen in Windows,
as well as the Adobe Gamma applied one, was overcorrecting in Photoshop,
resulting in a colour-cast. Or it was something about some element of the
graphics card drivers, where some colour table was being misapplied. I
tried to look in my Google Groups usenet history, posting to the Photoshop
groups, but I cannot find the conversations.

I really think it is just some bug in Photo Gallery, in your case, as it is
a common problem. If they appear as you expect on other computers, the
files themselves should be fine.

ss.

Synapse Syndrome

"Ali" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)

> Thank you for your reply. To be honest, I don't use Windows Photo
> Gallery myself. But, I was seeing how the image would be displayed
> on a PC where this was the default image viewer.

I suspect that they will appear fine in Photo Gallery, once the sRGB profile
is stripped out.

ss.