Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > cleaning DVD drive question

cleaning DVD drive question

alice

I have both a DVD drive and a CD drive, the CD drive is working fine,
but suddenly when I play a CD in the DVD drive, the audio has this
sort of clicking/static/poping distortion sound now and then. I tried
a CD cleaner with very soft hairs, but that didn't fix it. I've heard
about using a q-tip but my question is, how on earth do you reach in
there and find the lense? From the front there really is no way to do
this. Do you have to take the drive out and take it apart? I'm no
stranger to taking a PC apart, but I've never actually opened a drive
so I don't know if that is wise or not.

Meat Plow

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 10:27:39 -0700, alice wrote:

> I have both a DVD drive and a CD drive, the CD drive is working fine,
> but suddenly when I play a CD in the DVD drive, the audio has this
> sort of clicking/static/poping distortion sound now and then. I tried
> a CD cleaner with very soft hairs, but that didn't fix it. I've heard
> about using a q-tip but my question is, how on earth do you reach in
> there and find the lense? From the front there really is no way to do
> this. Do you have to take the drive out and take it apart? I'm no
> stranger to taking a PC apart, but I've never actually opened a drive
> so I don't know if that is wise or not.

It's unlikely that the lens is dirty given the fact that disc speeds of up
to 5000 RPM are frequently attained. This does a good job of keeping dust
off the laser.

alice

On Oct 4, 10:38 am, Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 10:27:39 -0700, alice wrote:
> > I have both a DVD drive and a CD drive, the CD drive is working fine,
> > but suddenly when I play a CD in the DVD drive, the audio has this
> > sort of clicking/static/poping distortion sound now and then. I tried
> > a CD cleaner with very soft hairs, but that didn't fix it. I've heard
> > about using a q-tip but my question is, how on earth do you reach in
> > there and find the lense? From the front there really is no way to do
> > this. Do you have to take the drive out and take it apart? I'm no
> > stranger to taking a PC apart, but I've never actually opened a drive
> > so I don't know if that is wise or not.

> It's unlikely that the lens is dirty given the fact that disc speeds of up
> to 5000 RPM are frequently attained. This does a good job of keeping dust
> off the laser.

So what else might be the problem?

Meat Plow

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 10:49:28 -0700, alice wrote:

> On Oct 4, 10:38 am, Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 10:27:39 -0700, alice wrote:
>> > I have both a DVD drive and a CD drive, the CD drive is working fine,
>> > but suddenly when I play a CD in the DVD drive, the audio has this
>> > sort of clicking/static/poping distortion sound now and then. I tried
>> > a CD cleaner with very soft hairs, but that didn't fix it. I've heard
>> > about using a q-tip but my question is, how on earth do you reach in
>> > there and find the lense? From the front there really is no way to do
>> > this. Do you have to take the drive out and take it apart? I'm no
>> > stranger to taking a PC apart, but I've never actually opened a drive
>> > so I don't know if that is wise or not.

>> It's unlikely that the lens is dirty given the fact that disc speeds of up
>> to 5000 RPM are frequently attained. This does a good job of keeping dust
>> off the laser.

> So what else might be the problem?

Could be the drive itself in which case you don't have the resources or
knowledge at hand to diagnose and repair. Does the DVD drive play a DVD ok?
Is it a DVD-ROM or a DVD burner? I'd be surprised if it played a DVD ok.
I just had a year old DVD burner bite the dust. No reason or rhyme. Opened
it up and cleaned the lens, still no-go. These things happen and are not
consumer repairable. Try a DVD movie in your drive and let me know what
happens.

alice

On Oct 4, 11:07 am, Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 10:49:28 -0700, alice wrote:

> >> It's unlikely that the lens is dirty given the fact that disc speeds of up
> >> to 5000 RPM are frequently attained. This does a good job of keeping dust
> >> off the laser.

> > So what else might be the problem?

> Could be the drive itself in which case you don't have the resources or
> knowledge at hand to diagnose and repair. Does the DVD drive play a DVD ok?
> Is it a DVD-ROM or a DVD burner? I'd be surprised if it played a DVD ok.
> I just had a year old DVD burner bite the dust. No reason or rhyme. Opened
> it up and cleaned the lens, still no-go. These things happen and are not
> consumer repairable. Try a DVD movie in your drive and let me know what
> happens.- Hide quoted text -

It is a DVD burner. A video DVD plays the video fine, but the audio is
the same as a audio CD, which I should have clarified, the audio does
play, it just has this annoying distorted popping along with it. I
don't think it's anything else in the system since the CD drive right
below it plays audio just fine. I haven't tried an air can yet, I
don't seem to have one around.

Meat Plow

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 11:13:54 -0700, alice wrote:

> On Oct 4, 11:07 am, Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> > So what else might be the problem?

>> Could be the drive itself in which case you don't have the resources or
>> knowledge at hand to diagnose and repair. Does the DVD drive play a DVD ok?
>> Is it a DVD-ROM or a DVD burner? I'd be surprised if it played a DVD ok.
>> I just had a year old DVD burner bite the dust. No reason or rhyme. Opened
>> it up and cleaned the lens, still no-go. These things happen and are not
>> consumer repairable. Try a DVD movie in your drive and let me know what
>> happens.- Hide quoted text -

> It is a DVD burner. A video DVD plays the video fine, but the audio is
> the same as a audio CD, which I should have clarified, the audio does
> play, it just has this annoying distorted popping along with it. I
> don't think it's anything else in the system since the CD drive right
> below it plays audio just fine. I haven't tried an air can yet, I
> don't seem to have one around.

Well that is very odd. Modern CD/DVD devices pipe the audio and video out
the PCI bus instead of a separate audio cable . I would assume that if the
problem was on the PCI bus, video playback would also have problems. The
only thing I can think of is the DVD device shares common decoding and
buffer electronics for DVD and CD audio and that's the problem which is an
internal drive issue and not repairable. I would hate though to suggest
replacing the drive with only conjecture to go on. Maybe you could swap
the DVD and CD drive's cable positions just for the hell of it and see if
the problem follows but I doubt it would. Only other thing is to swap the
drive for a known working drive.

chuckcar

alice <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:

> I have both a DVD drive and a CD drive, the CD drive is working fine,
> but suddenly when I play a CD in the DVD drive, the audio has this
> sort of clicking/static/poping distortion sound now and then. I tried
> a CD cleaner with very soft hairs, but that didn't fix it. I've heard
> about using a q-tip but my question is, how on earth do you reach in
> there and find the lense? From the front there really is no way to do
> this. Do you have to take the drive out and take it apart? I'm no
> stranger to taking a PC apart, but I've never actually opened a drive
> so I don't know if that is wise or not.

Check both the audio cable coming from the DVD and the plug on the sound
card it's going to to make sure they're in properly.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Ish

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 14:28:56 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

> On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 11:13:54 -0700, alice wrote:

>>> Could be the drive itself in which case you don't have the resources or
>>> knowledge at hand to diagnose and repair. Does the DVD drive play a DVD ok?
>>> Is it a DVD-ROM or a DVD burner? I'd be surprised if it played a DVD ok.
>>> I just had a year old DVD burner bite the dust. No reason or rhyme. Opened
>>> it up and cleaned the lens, still no-go. These things happen and are not
>>> consumer repairable. Try a DVD movie in your drive and let me know what
>>> happens.- Hide quoted text -

>> It is a DVD burner. A video DVD plays the video fine, but the audio is
>> the same as a audio CD, which I should have clarified, the audio does
>> play, it just has this annoying distorted popping along with it. I
>> don't think it's anything else in the system since the CD drive right
>> below it plays audio just fine. I haven't tried an air can yet, I
>> don't seem to have one around.

> Well that is very odd. Modern CD/DVD devices pipe the audio and video out
> the PCI bus instead of a separate audio cable . I would assume that if the
> problem was on the PCI bus, video playback would also have problems. The
> only thing I can think of is the DVD device shares common decoding and
> buffer electronics for DVD and CD audio and that's the problem which is an
> internal drive issue and not repairable. I would hate though to suggest
> replacing the drive with only conjecture to go on. Maybe you could swap
> the DVD and CD drive's cable positions just for the hell of it and see if
> the problem follows but I doubt it would. Only other thing is to swap the
> drive for a known working drive.

What would you think about going into device manager/ disk properties/
properties and changing the the volume and/or uncheck or check "enable
digital audio". The last might require installing a cable from cd audio to
sound device if uncheck is the option.

Just a thought, I don't have any experience with this but it might be
worth a try before tossing the drive.

JANA

Even though the disk spins very fast, it is possible to still have some film
accumulation on the laser head, especially in a humid environment, or if
there are people smoking in the same place as the computer.

The only way to clean the head with a Q-Tip, is to remove the drive and open
its case. If the fault is not dirt or a film on the laser head, then it can
be an electronics problem, or there is mechanical wear that is throwing out
the alignment.

There is no service support for these disk drives. If it is defective, it
will have to be replaced.

--

JANA
_____

"alice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
I have both a DVD drive and a CD drive, the CD drive is working fine,
but suddenly when I play a CD in the DVD drive, the audio has this
sort of clicking/static/poping distortion sound now and then. I tried
a CD cleaner with very soft hairs, but that didn't fix it. I've heard
about using a q-tip but my question is, how on earth do you reach in
there and find the lense? From the front there really is no way to do
this. Do you have to take the drive out and take it apart? I'm no
stranger to taking a PC apart, but I've never actually opened a drive
so I don't know if that is wise or not.

olfart

"JANA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Even though the disk spins very fast, it is possible to still have some
> film
> accumulation on the laser head, especially in a humid environment, or if
> there are people smoking in the same place as the computer.
>
> The only way to clean the head with a Q-Tip, is to remove the drive and
> open
> its case. If the fault is not dirt or a film on the laser head, then it
> can
> be an electronics problem, or there is mechanical wear that is throwing
> out
> the alignment.
>
> There is no service support for these disk drives. If it is defective, it
> will have to be replaced.

You can reach the lens with a Q Tip and alcohol without disassembly. Open
the tray and look inside. You will see the lens above the tray. Use care not
to misalign the lens when cleaning