Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > It does not look good for Target. Web Accessibility news

It does not look good for Target. Web Accessibility news

Jerry Stuckle

dorayme wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Jerry Stuckle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Oh, and I said YOU pay MY bills - you don't need my credit card number
>> for that!

> C'mon Jerry, you know how bureaucratic these companies can be. Be
> a good lad and just do it. To smooth the way as it were... I
> won't let anyone else see it...
>
> You know, I think I am feeling well enough for a swim out at
> Coogee today... You would die to see the sort of day it is in
> Sydney.

Not at all. Sydney's a pretty city.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

Mark Goodge

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 19:18:39 -0700, Wings put finger to keyboard and
typed:

>I'm not advocating anything here - just want to alleviate my ignorance...
>What's bad about your site being framed in someone else's site? Wouldn't
>that increase your site's exposure? I understand that the other site could
>be making some financial gain from using your site that way, but how does
>that hurt you instead of help you?

It's not always bad. Sometimes it can be perfectly acceptable, or even
desirable. But not always, and it's always a bad thing to assume it's
OK without asking.

There are three main reasons why it can be bad. Firstly, it uses the
framed site's bandwidth and hosting costs without contributing towards
them. Secondly, it can give a misleading impression that the framed
site's editorial or content policy is the same as as that of the
framing site. And, finally, it can display the framed site in such a
way as to obscure the framed site's own advertising or navigation,
thus reducing the framed site's potential income.

Mark
--
http://www.MotorwayServices.info - read and share comments and opinons
"Come on you target for faraway laughter, come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!"

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 13 Oct 2007 02:18:39
GMT Wings scribed:

>> Grey area, but I do sort of agree. It's pretty bad practice -- and
>> wouldn't work in any of MY sites... I have breakout code in all my
>> sites to prevent anything we work on being re-framed by a 3rd party.
>>

> I'm not advocating anything here - just want to alleviate my
> ignorance... What's bad about your site being framed in someone else's
> site? Wouldn't that increase your site's exposure? I understand that
> the other site could be making some financial gain from using your
> site that way, but how does that hurt you instead of help you?

What's bad is that the "hosting" site can associate whatever it wants to
with the content of your site/page. Would you want a picture of your
mother located beneath a Hitler-adorned banner stating "Arbeit macht frei"?

--
Neredbojias

Travis Newbury

On Oct 13, 11:03 am, Neredbojias <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Would you want a picture of your
> mother located beneath a Hitler-adorned banner stating "Arbeit macht frei"?

Would she be naked?

Wings

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Jerry Stuckle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> > I'm not advocating anything here - just want to alleviate my
>> > ignorance...
>> > What's bad about your site being framed in someone else's site?
>> > Wouldn't
>> > that increase your site's exposure? I understand that the other site
>> > could
>> > be making some financial gain from using your site that way, but how
>> > does
>> > that hurt you instead of help you?
>> >

>> You mean using YOUR bandwidth to give someone else credit for YOUR
>> content is good?

But near as I can see the same bandwidth is being used whether one is
looking at your site in a frame on someone else's site as is used if they
are at your site directly. I'm still missing something here...

Wings

"Mark Goodge" <(E-Mail Removed)-stuff.co.uk> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) house.net...
> On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 19:18:39 -0700, Wings put finger to keyboard and
> typed:
>
>>I'm not advocating anything here - just want to alleviate my ignorance...
>>What's bad about your site being framed in someone else's site? Wouldn't
>>that increase your site's exposure? I understand that the other site could
>>be making some financial gain from using your site that way, but how does
>>that hurt you instead of help you?

> It's not always bad. Sometimes it can be perfectly acceptable, or even
> desirable. But not always, and it's always a bad thing to assume it's
> OK without asking.
>
> There are three main reasons why it can be bad. Firstly, it uses the
> framed site's bandwidth and hosting costs without contributing towards
> them. Secondly, it can give a misleading impression that the framed
> site's editorial or content policy is the same as as that of the
> framing site. And, finally, it can display the framed site in such a
> way as to obscure the framed site's own advertising or navigation,
> thus reducing the framed site's potential income.

That makes sense. Thanks, Mark.

Wings

"Neredbojias" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns99C851FF956C4nanopandaneredbojias@198.186. 190.161...
> Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 13 Oct 2007 02:18:39
> GMT Wings scribed:
>
>>> Grey area, but I do sort of agree. It's pretty bad practice -- and
>>> wouldn't work in any of MY sites... I have breakout code in all my
>>> sites to prevent anything we work on being re-framed by a 3rd party.
>>>

>> I'm not advocating anything here - just want to alleviate my
>> ignorance... What's bad about your site being framed in someone else's
>> site? Wouldn't that increase your site's exposure? I understand that
>> the other site could be making some financial gain from using your
>> site that way, but how does that hurt you instead of help you?

> What's bad is that the "hosting" site can associate whatever it wants to
> with the content of your site/page. Would you want a picture of your
> mother located beneath a Hitler-adorned banner stating "Arbeit macht
> frei"?

Haha. I got the point. Thanks.

Wings

"Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:2379a$470aa60d$40cba7a5$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mark Goodge wrote:
>
>> "This site" being http://www.mortgagenews2.com, for the benefit of
>> anyone jumping into the thread at this point.

> <snip>
>
>> that little hurdle, I managed to register and log in. In order to
>> check prices, I had to actually create an advertising campaign -
>> there's no price list.

> Now there's a killer of a bad idea IMO. Personally I despise sites where
> your must register just to get basic information, list rate and prices.
> Slam the font door and lock...great business practice!

You got this one right! I just spent $170 on a pulldown projector screen.
The first site I went to didn't get my money - just for that reason. Even if
I might save a buck, I refuse to jump through the hoops. (Maybe for $2, but
thern I don't know, right)?

Jerry Stuckle

Wings wrote:
> "dorayme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> You mean using YOUR bandwidth to give someone else credit for YOUR
>>> content is good?

> But near as I can see the same bandwidth is being used whether one is
> looking at your site in a frame on someone else's site as is used if they
> are at your site directly. I'm still missing something here...

When they're looking at your site, they know they're looking at your site.

If I frame your site in mine, they think they're looking at my site and
my content.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle
JDS Computer Training Corp.
(E-Mail Removed)
==================

news:Xns99C7B6213AC3nanopandaneredbojias@198.186.1 90.161...
> Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 11 Oct 2007 22:07:50
> GMT dorayme scribed:
>
>>> One big waste of time in life could be reading your posts.
>>>
>>> < g r i n >

>> So, you are sort of saying that anyone who reads my posts could
>> be being sucked into the general hopelessness of my non life?
>> Well, there would be worse things to be sucked into. Meaning and
>> importance are not everything, you know. Significance can be very
>> very bloody painful. Don't be too quick to dismiss a life of
>> triviality, insignificance, hopelessness and despair...
>>
>> Actually, I am feeling a bit better today, in fact it happened
>> yesterday afternoon, I realised I was going to survive this flu.
>> Sorry!
>>
>> Do me a favour Boji, when you read my posts, read slowly,
>> carefully weigh up each word; make up in your slowness and
>> thoroughness for the rude impatience and dismissal of most...
>>
>> While in a weakened state, I even had warmer feelings towards
>> Blinkey. I have now decided it is ok for you to talk to him. So
>> there, feel free. The more I am ****ed off with GG posts, the
>> warmer and cuddlier Blinkey appears to me... I am shedding any
>> silly personal feelings and trying to develop a more professional
>> attitude.

> Mmm, well, that might be for the best. -So long as you don't become an
> emotionless Neptunian trogg or something. As for Blinkey, I think he just
> doesn't like a lot of nonsense. He's probably a perfectionist, something
> I've been accused of more than once.
>
> Glad the flu is abating. You're sick enough when you're well.

Haha. Great barb. I'm stealing that. Got someone here I can use it on.