Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > It does not look good for Target. Web Accessibility news

It does not look good for Target. Web Accessibility news

Chaddy2222

Hi all, I just found this article on the Target case and thought that
a lot of you would be interested.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071003/...get_blind_dc_4
--
Regards Chad. http://freewebdesign.awardspace.biz

Phil Payne

> Hi all, I just found this article on the Target case and thought that
> a lot of you would be interested. http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071003/...get_blind_dc_4

Time to drag every page over to http://wave.webaim.org/index.jsp then.

Chaddy2222

Phil Payne wrote:
> > Hi all, I just found this article on the Target case and thought that
> > a lot of you would be interested. http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071003/...get_blind_dc_4

> Time to drag every page over to http://wave.webaim.org/index.jsp then.

Yes, I have been doing that with my own sites for quite some time.
--
Regards Chad. http://freewebdesign.awardspace.biz

Animesh K

Chaddy2222 wrote:
> Hi all, I just found this article on the Target case and thought that
> a lot of you would be interested.
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071003/...get_blind_dc_4
> --
> Regards Chad. http://freewebdesign.awardspace.biz

OOT, what is a good site to know about accessibility features? I presume
w3 must be having something.

Are alt and title tags enough? Or something more is needed?

Given the number of bugs in IE, are there disability related bugs in IE?
If yes, how about a lawsuit on IE for not rendering these
disabled-accessibility features properly?

Karl Groves

Animesh K <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:fe3chb$2or0$2
@agate.berkeley.edu:

> Chaddy2222 wrote:
>> Hi all, I just found this article on the Target case and thought that
>> a lot of you would be interested.
>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071003/...get_blind_dc_4
>> --
>> Regards Chad. http://freewebdesign.awardspace.biz
>>

> OOT, what is a good site to know about accessibility features? I

presume
> w3 must be having something.

A quick Googling could have answered that question.
http://www.w3.org/WAI/

Another good source for into: http://www.webaim.org

> Are alt and title tags enough? Or something more is needed?

Not even close.
http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-WEBCONTENT/

> Given the number of bugs in IE, are there disability related bugs in

IE?

The "bugs" most often encountered in IE most often have to do with
security and support for web standards. The interface to IE is actually
pretty accessible.

> If yes, how about a lawsuit on IE for not rendering these
> disabled-accessibility features properly?

User agent manufacturers are not to blame for accessibility problems
created by web authors.

Generally speaking, the software on the user's computer will be far more
accessible than the content they encounter on the Web. That's not to say
that desktop software is immune to accessibility problems, but rather
that accessible software is far easier to come by than accessible
websites.

--
Karl Groves
http://www.WebAccessStrategies.com

Andy Dingley

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 11:48:11 -0700, Animesh K <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>OOT, what is a good site to know about accessibility features? I presume
>w3 must be having something.

You presume wrongly, sad to say. The W3C efforts here have been
pitiful.

The best resource is Joe Clark's site, and his excellent accessibility
book. This both puts the case for it, and explains the techniques to
achieve it. Best of all, the full text is online for free
http://joeclark.org/book/sashay/serialization/

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Andy Dingley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 11:48:11 -0700, Animesh K <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >OOT, what is a good site to know about accessibility features? I presume
> >w3 must be having something.

> You presume wrongly, sad to say. The W3C efforts here have been
> pitiful.
>
> The best resource is Joe Clark's site, and his excellent accessibility
> book. This both puts the case for it, and explains the techniques to
> achieve it. Best of all, the full text is online for free
> http://joeclark.org/book/sashay/serialization/

Good one. Out of the many positive things which speak for
themselves, I was reminded of something that is an irritating
design fault, which this url is a very very mild case of. It is
tiresome to be having to click next buttons when you want to
simply read a lot of an article on line. It is a mild case
becaiuse to be fair to the designer, he provides a fair chunk.
Sites like How Stuff Work are infuriating in this regard, and
there are many others as bad or worse. I can understand placing
limits for bandwidth where there are a lot of pictures.

Basically, with text articles there should be more generous
limits before user *has* to press buttons. There are some very
useful devices I use to go up and down, scroll wheels, up and
down arrows on keyboard, page up and down buttons. Easier than
the *interruptions* from locating visual buttons and clicking.

At the very least, authors might consider providing a facility
where the whole of an article can be read on line by simple
scrolling. Authors often provide a print version, they might
consider more often providing a "continuous" online version for
those who would like such.

(I have not read the URL here completely, I do not know if author
raises this matter? As I say, his is a very minor irritation, I
might be a little unusual in this regard? But thegeneral point I
make is good.)

--
dorayme

Andy Dingley

On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 08:28:26 +1000, dorayme
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Basically, with text articles there should be more generous
>limits before user *has* to press buttons.

Have a read of the JAIC site (Journal of the American Institute for
Conservation). Fascinating content, I wish they had newer stuff on-line
too, and you might like how they've done navigation. Articles are
duplicated: they're up as both page per section, and also a simple
linear format of the whole article as one. HTML too, not PDF !

http://aic.stanford.edu/jaic/

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Andy Dingley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 08:28:26 +1000, dorayme
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Basically, with text articles there should be more generous
> >limits before user *has* to press buttons.

> Have a read of the JAIC site (Journal of the American Institute for
> Conservation). Fascinating content, I wish they had newer stuff on-line
> too, and you might like how they've done navigation. Articles are
> duplicated: they're up as both page per section, and also a simple
> linear format of the whole article as one. HTML too, not PDF !
>
> http://aic.stanford.edu/jaic/

Yes, that's the way! An "entire article" button.

--
dorayme

Animesh K

Andy Dingley wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 11:48:11 -0700, Animesh K <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> OOT, what is a good site to know about accessibility features? I presume
>> w3 must be having something.

> You presume wrongly, sad to say. The W3C efforts here have been
> pitiful.
>
> The best resource is Joe Clark's site, and his excellent accessibility
> book. This both puts the case for it, and explains the techniques to
> achieve it. Best of all, the full text is online for free
> http://joeclark.org/book/sashay/serialization/

Thanks Andy and Karl! I will look into both the links at leisure. It
sounds like fun to be accessible to a blind without actually talking
with him.