Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > java unchecked or unsafe operations error

java unchecked or unsafe operations error

solomon13000@gmail.com

I am getting the following error

Note: C:\Documents and Settings\Eugene\Desktop\client\LocalBoard.java
uses unchecked or unsafe operations.

for the code bellow:

Toobar.java
----------------

import javax.swing.*;
import javax.swing.event.*;
import java.awt.event.*;
import java.awt.*;
import java.util.Vector;
import java.util.Iterator;

public class Toolbar extends JPanel implements ChangeListener{
private WhiteboardState whiteboardState;
private Vector toolButtons;
public Toolbar(WhiteboardState w, LayoutManager l){
super(l);
whiteboardState = w;
toolButtons = new Vector();
}

public Component add(Component c){
if (c instanceof ToolButton){
toolButtons.add(c);
}
return super.add(c);
}

public void stateChanged(ChangeEvent e){
ToolButton changed = (ToolButton)e.getSource();
if (changed.isSelected()){
whiteboardState.currentTool = changed.tool;
changed.setSelected(true);
} else {
whiteboardState.currentTool = null;
}
Iterator i = toolButtons.iterator();
ToolButton t;
while(i.hasNext()){
t = (ToolButton) i.next();
if (t != changed){
t.setSelected(false);
}
}
repaint();
}
}

LocalBoard.java
----------------------

import java.util.*;
import java.rmi.*;

public class LocalBoard implements ShapeBuffer {

protected Hashtable shapes; // our list of shapes
protected int minZ = Integer.MAX_VALUE;
protected int maxZ = Integer.MIN_VALUE;

public LocalBoard() {
shapes = new Hashtable();
}

public Updater trylock(Shape s) {
// Unimplemented in LocalBoard
// (don't modify this class; just write RemoteBoard)
return null;
}

/** Returns read-only list of content in the canvas */
public Collection getAllShapes() throws RemoteException {
Enumeration e;
Integer crKey;
List v = new ArrayList();
Shape shp;

for(e = shapes.keys();e.hasMoreElements() {
crKey = (Integer)e.nextElement();
shp = (Shape)shapes.get(crKey);
v.add(shp);
}

// sorting by ID
Collections.sort(v,new Comparator(){

public int compare(Object arg0, Object arg1) {
Shape s1, s2;

s1 = (Shape)arg0;
s2 = (Shape)arg1;

return s1.getID() - s2.getID();
}
});

return v;
}

/** Add a subscriber */
public void attach(Subscriber o) {
// Unimplemented in LocalBoard
// (don't modify this class; just write RemoteBoard)
}

/** Remove a subscriber */
public void detach(Subscriber o) {
// Unimplemented in LocalBoard
// (don't modify this class; just write RemoteBoard)
}

public int addShape(Shape newShape) throws InvalidShapeException,
OverflowException, RemoteException {
int ID;
int zIndex = newShape.getZIndex();

if(newShape == null) throw new InvalidShapeException("Null
shape data in addShape!");
if(getShapeCount() >= MAX_CAPACITY) throw new
OverflowException("Shape buffer overflow!");

ID = newShape.getID();
shapes.put(new Integer(ID),newShape);

if(minZ > zIndex) minZ = zIndex;
if(maxZ < zIndex) maxZ = zIndex;

return ID;
}

public boolean containsShape(int ID) throws RemoteException {
return shapes.containsKey(new Integer(ID));
}

public boolean isEmpty() throws RemoteException {
return (shapes.size() == 0);
}

public int getShapeCount() throws RemoteException {
return shapes.size();
}

public Shape getShape(int ID) throws NoSuchShapeException,
RemoteException {
if(containsShape(ID)) return (Shape)shapes.get(new
Integer(ID));
else throw new NoSuchShapeException("No shape with ID " + ID);
}

public void bringToFront(int ID) throws NoSuchShapeException,
RemoteException {
}

public void sendToBack(int ID) throws NoSuchShapeException,
RemoteException {
}

public Collection getByZIndex(int z) throws RemoteException {
return null;
}

public int getMinZIndex() throws RemoteException {
return 0;
}

public int getMaxZIndex() throws RemoteException {
return 0;
}

}

How do I solve the problem?

Your help is kindly appreciated.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

> I am getting the following error
>
> Note: C:\Documents and Settings\Eugene\Desktop\client\LocalBoard.java
> uses unchecked or unsafe operations.
> Note: Recompile with -Xlint:unchecked for details.
>
> for the code bellow:

> import java.util.Vector;

> private Vector toolButtons;

I am pretty sure that it want you to use generics.

private Vector<Something> toolButtons;

possible:

private Vector<ToolButton> toolButtons;

Arne

Chris Dollin

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I am getting the following error
>
> Note: C:\Documents and Settings\Eugene\Desktop\client\LocalBoard.java
> uses unchecked or unsafe operations.
> Note: Recompile with -Xlint:unchecked for details.
>
> for the code bellow:

("below", not "bellow". A "code bellow" would be some loud programming.)

(fx:snip)

> How do I solve the problem?

Recompile with -Xlint:unchecked for details, then fix the details.

--
Chris "DWIS" Dollin

xen

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 05:13:36 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I am getting the following error
>
>Note: C:\Documents and Settings\Eugene\Desktop\client\LocalBoard.java
>uses unchecked or unsafe operations.
>Note: Recompile with -Xlint:unchecked for details.
>
>for the code bellow:

<snip>

>How do I solve the problem?
>
>Your help is kindly appreciated.

It's not a problem, but you can 'solve' it by learning how to use
generics:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5/pdf/generics-tutorial.pdf