Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Usenet access -US

Reply
Thread Tools

Usenet access -US

 
 
Sano
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-04-2007
Is there any compendium of USian isps that still offer Usenet access?
I've gotta do something about being on a phone. Tia.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mike Easter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-04-2007
Sano wrote:
> Is there any compendium of USian isps that still offer Usenet access?
> I've gotta do something about being on a phone.


I would make my decision about my internet connectivity independently of
whether or not they offered usenet access -- for several reasons.

First, the 'quality' and cost of the connectivity is more important than
whether or not usenet is included in the price. Second, general
connectivity ISPs are notorious for -a- providing poor or variable
quality usenet when they do provide it -b- changing whether they are
providing usenet or changing how well they provide it, without any
predictability. Recent examples of broadband providers RR and EL
outsourcing their news because they were both providing shabby usenet
before and there are still some objections by some subscribers even tho'
the overall news is an improvement. Third, it isn't necessary that a
general ISP provide usenet because there are other better sources if the
subscriber does a little investigation about how to get news.

How a newser may use news depends a lot on the newser. Some people only
want 'good' text. Some people want lots and lots of binaries. The text
newsers should be most interested in how good a job the newsserver is
going to do about filtering hipcrime and spam and perhaps about adding
new groups. The binary hogs have completely different needs.

Whether or not the connectivity provider provides news doesn't matter,
because the 'determined' newser is going to get news no matter what.
They are going to get it from multiple free newsservers as soon as
they've figured out a few they like. They may also get it from
commercial NSPs, either extremely economically if they are a text
newser, or 'better' than a general ISP can provide if they are a serious
binary downloader.

I think that all the serious binary downloaders want out of their
connectivity provider in terms of news is a reduction in how many gigs
they have to either buy or get from free newsservers.



--
Mike Easter

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Tony
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-04-2007
I subscribe to "Snooze" for all my news.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards Tony... Making usenet better for everyone everyday
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Sano wrote:

> Is there any compendium of USian isps that still offer Usenet access?
> I've gotta do something about being on a phone. Tia.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Blinky the Shark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-04-2007
Sano wrote:
> Is there any compendium of USian isps that still offer Usenet access?


Why do you feel you have to limit your range of ISPs to those with
in-house Usenet feeds? Most ISP newsfeeds suck anyway.

> I've gotta do something about being on a phone. Tia.


I don't know what that means, but good luck with it.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project - http://improve-usenet.org
 
Reply With Quote
 
Sano
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-04-2007
- Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)> - wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) :

> Sano wrote:
>> Is there any compendium of USian isps that still offer Usenet
>> access?

>
> Why do you feel you have to limit your range of ISPs to those with
> in-house Usenet feeds? Most ISP newsfeeds suck anyway.


Well, ye-eah. Just trying to kill as many birds as I can.

>> I've gotta do something about being on a phone. Tia.

>
> I don't know what that means, but good luck with it.


With Flash turned off and half the ad population of the universe
blocked, browsing the web is just a pia anymore. Pages just get larger
and filled with more cardboard. Yeah know. I've gotta break down and
get some _speed_.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Sano
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-04-2007
- "Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)> - wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Sano wrote:
>> Is there any compendium of USian isps that still offer Usenet
>> access? I've gotta do something about being on a phone.

>
> I would make my decision about my internet connectivity
> independently of whether or not they offered usenet access -- for
> several reasons.
>
> First, the 'quality' and cost of the connectivity is more
> important than whether or not usenet is included in the price.
> Second, general connectivity ISPs are notorious for -a- providing
> poor or variable quality usenet when they do provide it -b-
> changing whether they are providing usenet or changing how well
> they provide it, without any predictability. Recent examples of
> broadband providers RR and EL outsourcing their news because they
> were both providing shabby usenet before and there are still some
> objections by some subscribers even tho' the overall news is an
> improvement. Third, it isn't necessary that a general ISP provide
> usenet because there are other better sources if the subscriber
> does a little investigation about how to get news.
>
> How a newser may use news depends a lot on the newser. Some
> people only want 'good' text. Some people want lots and lots of
> binaries. The text newsers should be most interested in how good
> a job the newsserver is going to do about filtering hipcrime and
> spam and perhaps about adding new groups. The binary hogs have
> completely different needs.
>
> Whether or not the connectivity provider provides news doesn't
> matter, because the 'determined' newser is going to get news no
> matter what. They are going to get it from multiple free
> newsservers as soon as they've figured out a few they like. They
> may also get it from commercial NSPs, either extremely
> economically if they are a text newser, or 'better' than a general
> ISP can provide if they are a serious binary downloader.
>
> I think that all the serious binary downloaders want out of their
> connectivity provider in terms of news is a reduction in how many
> gigs they have to either buy or get from free newsservers.


Thanks. Yeah, Earthlink going with Supernews hasn't been too horrid, on
either the text or binary front. As a Forte Agent owner I (also) used
their extrememly economical Usenet offering, which was also Supernews.

I was still searching for the magic bullet, which probably ain't there.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Blinky the Shark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-05-2007
Sano wrote:

> - Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)> - wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> Sano wrote:
>>> Is there any compendium of USian isps that still offer Usenet
>>> access?

>>
>> Why do you feel you have to limit your range of ISPs to those
>> with in-house Usenet feeds? Most ISP newsfeeds suck anyway.

>
> Well, ye-eah. Just trying to kill as many birds as I can.


Then don't LIMIT yourself to ISPs feeds.

>>> I've gotta do something about being on a phone. Tia.

>>
>> I don't know what that means, but good luck with it.

>
> With Flash turned off and half the ad population of the universe
> blocked, browsing the web is just a pia anymore. Pages just get
> larger and filled with more cardboard. Yeah know. I've gotta
> break down and get some _speed_.


Are you trying to say you're going to move from dialup to
broadband?


--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project moved to this site August 28th:
http://improve-usenet.org
 
Reply With Quote
 
Sano
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-05-2007
- Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)> - wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Sano wrote:
>
>> - Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)> - wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>>
>>> Sano wrote:
>>>> Is there any compendium of USian isps that still offer Usenet
>>>> access?
>>>
>>> Why do you feel you have to limit your range of ISPs to those
>>> with in-house Usenet feeds? Most ISP newsfeeds suck anyway.

>>
>> Well, ye-eah. Just trying to kill as many birds as I can.

>
> Then don't LIMIT yourself to ISPs feeds.
>
>>>> I've gotta do something about being on a phone. Tia.
>>>
>>> I don't know what that means, but good luck with it.

>>
>> With Flash turned off and half the ad population of the universe
>> blocked, browsing the web is just a pia anymore. Pages just get
>> larger and filled with more cardboard. Yeah know. I've gotta
>> break down and get some _speed_.

>
> Are you trying to say you're going to move from dialup to
> broadband?


Yes sah! I'm just trying to not cut into my beer money. There are a few
options. Hey! the Indians just smacked down the Yanks!

There's a cable option to my building/ apt, but I'd just as soon do dsl
of some flavor. I'll have to spend some more time at dslreports.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Beauregard T. Shagnasty
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-05-2007
Sano wrote:

> There's a cable option to my building/ apt, but I'd just as soon do
> dsl of some flavor. I'll have to spend some more time at dslreports.


Cable is more reliable, and generally faster than DSL.

--
-bts
-Motorcycles defy gravity; cars just suck
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: Usenet abuse (addressed to Usenet admins) Mike Easter Computer Support 5 01-18-2010 09:18 AM
Re: Usenet abuse (addressed to Usenet admins) Tony Computer Support 0 01-17-2010 06:05 PM
recommendation wanted for ISP's which provide usenet access deet Computer Support 21 12-09-2005 02:02 PM
recommendation wanted for ISP's which provide usenet access Mellowed Computer Support 4 12-09-2005 03:50 AM
Newbie Question: Free Usenet Access? mg39 Computer Support 6 07-12-2004 08:23 PM



Advertisments