Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Migrating to Windows Server 2003 64 bit

Migrating to Windows Server 2003 64 bit

swapnil.kale@gmail.com

Hi,
I'm migrating to a 64 bit Windows server 2003 box.

Will my java client/server application successfully deploy on Tomcat?

I got Eclipse 64 bit 3.3 version, JRockit 64 bit JVM and Tomcat 5.5
<32 bit, Though there is an option to run this as a service in 64 bit
environment>. I havent installed them yet. I'm still searching for a
good solution to do this task efficiently.

I wish to run my codebase on Tomcat <Web project> through eclipse as a
client server application.
Will I need all the libararies <spring, oracle, log4J, xerces, xalan,
etc etc> to be 64 bit pre compiled or those 32 bit binaries would just
work perfectly in 64 bit environment?

Would Appreciate any help.

Swapnil.

Charlie Russel - MVP

This is a really tough one to answer here, since it requires very
specialized knowledge about non-Microsoft products and how they interact
with each other and with 64-bit Windows. IOW, you probably need to be asking
the software companies involved.

Let me give you a general answer, and also suggest you read some of the
whitepapers, etc., on the Windows Server 2003 x64 site.

The general rule is that:
1.) If it's an x64 application, it will run on Windows Server 2003 x64
Edition. (note that there are two, incompatible, 64-bit architectures -
"x64" (also called AMD64 and EM64T for the names AMD and Intel give it), and
"ia64" (Itanium 64-bit).
2.) If it's a 32-bit application, it will run on both 64-bit and 32-bit
Windows transparently as long as:
a.) it doesn't require a system level driver, or make a system level
call.
b.) if it does require a driver, a 64bit driver must be available.
3.) If it's 16-bit (including any 16-bit installers), or DOS-based, it _will
not run_. Full Stop.
4.) If it's 64-bit, it can't make an in-proc call to a 32-bit DLL.
5.) if it's 32-bit, it can't make an in-proc call to a 64-bit DLL.

4&5 mean that if you have a 64-bit app, it needs to have a 64-bit way to get
at data - ODBC or whatever.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi,
> I'm migrating to a 64 bit Windows server 2003 box.
>
> Will my java client/server application successfully deploy on Tomcat?
>
> I got Eclipse 64 bit 3.3 version, JRockit 64 bit JVM and Tomcat 5.5
> <32 bit, Though there is an option to run this as a service in 64 bit
> environment>. I havent installed them yet. I'm still searching for a
> good solution to do this task efficiently.
>
> I wish to run my codebase on Tomcat <Web project> through eclipse as a
> client server application.
> Will I need all the libararies <spring, oracle, log4J, xerces, xalan,
> etc etc> to be 64 bit pre compiled or those 32 bit binaries would just
> work perfectly in 64 bit environment?
>
> Would Appreciate any help.
>
> Swapnil.

Swapnil Kale

On Oct 3, 7:09 pm, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> This is a really tough one to answer here, since it requires very
> specialized knowledge about non-Microsoft products and how they interact
> with each other and with 64-bit Windows. IOW, you probably need to be asking
> the software companies involved.
>
> Let me give you a general answer, and also suggest you read some of the
> whitepapers, etc., on the Windows Server 2003 x64 site.
>
> The general rule is that:
> 1.) If it's an x64 application, it will run on Windows Server 2003 x64
> Edition. (note that there are two, incompatible, 64-bit architectures -
> "x64" (also called AMD64 and EM64T for the names AMD and Intel give it), and
> "ia64" (Itanium 64-bit).
> 2.) If it's a 32-bit application, it will run on both 64-bit and 32-bit
> Windows transparently as long as:
> a.) it doesn't require a system level driver, or make a system level
> call.
> b.) if it does require a driver, a 64bit driver must be available.
> 3.) If it's 16-bit (including any 16-bit installers), or DOS-based, it _will
> not run_. Full Stop.
> 4.) If it's 64-bit, it can't make an in-proc call to a 32-bit DLL.
> 5.) if it's 32-bit, it can't make an in-proc call to a 64-bit DLL.
>
> 4&5 mean that if you have a 64-bit app, it needs to have a 64-bit way to get
> at data - ODBC or whatever.
>
> --
> Charlie.http://msmvps.com/xperts64http://mvp...charlie.russel
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>
> > Hi,
> > I'm migrating to a 64 bit Windows server 2003 box.

> > Will my java client/server application successfully deploy onTomcat?

> > I got Eclipse 64 bit 3.3 version, JRockit 64 bit JVM andTomcat5.5
> > <32 bit, Though there is an option to run this as a service in 64 bit
> > environment>. I havent installed them yet. I'm still searching for a
> > good solution to do this task efficiently.

> > I wish to run my codebase onTomcat<Web project> through eclipse as a
> > client server application.
> > Will I need all the libararies <spring, oracle, log4J, xerces, xalan,
> > etc etc> to be 64 bit pre compiled or those 32 bit binaries would just
> > work perfectly in 64 bit environment?

> > Would Appreciate any help.

> > Swapnil.

Hi thanks for the help...

I'll try to be more precise in this question.
Machine Config:
Windows Server 2003 R2, Standard x64 Edition,
Intel Xeon CPU E5310@1.6 GHz, 8GB RAM

I tried delpoying my 32 bit application <war file> on 32 bit tomcat
app server using 32 bit HotSpot JVM and it is running smoothly.
As i wish to eliminate the memory usage constraints on JVM, i upgraded
it to 64 bit JVM.
I couldnt find the Tomcat x64 bit installable so i followed this :

http://www.nabble.com/Mini-HOW-TO%3A...html#a13244048

For running the Tomcat on 64 bit OS <Windows server 2003 / 64 bit Xeon
1.6GHz, 8G RAM> :

I installed the 64 bit JRE from Sun, Installed 32 bit tomcat.
Edited all the necessary values in the registry for the node
"Wow6432Node"

I copied the 64bit compiled exe from bugzilla <link given by you>.

However i'm now getting a strange error when i try to run the exe from
the command line or try to run the tomcat from the services.msc.

<Snapshot>

C:\Tomcat55\bin>tomcat5.exe
[2007-10-16 17:39:16] [402 prunsrv.c] [error]
[2007-10-16 17:39:16] [1246 prunsrv.c] [error]
Load configuration failed

C:\Tomcat55\bin>prunsrv.exe
[2007-10-16 17:41:40] [402 prunsrv.c] [error]
[2007-10-16 17:41:40] [1246 prunsrv.c] [error]
Load configuration failed

C:\Tomcat55\bin>tomcat5.exe.64bit
[2007-10-16 17:41:51] [402 prunsrv.c] [error]
[2007-10-16 17:41:51] [1246 prunsrv.c] [error]
Load configuration failed

However the tomcat5w.exe <original> runs fine and the service window
opens up. I tried running the server from there, but no luck there/

I confirmed all the entries once again in the registry.

Have you encountered similar problem?

Please suggest input. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Swapnil

Charlie Russel - MVP

Honestly, this is beyond what this forum can solve. I'm not a developer, and
my days of writing code are so far back in the past that I can't even
remember them. You appear to be having problems with java, jre, and some
code names I've never heard of. Since it sounds like your application is
pretty much java based, I'd suggest that you really need to find someplace
where java developers hang out, and where they can help answer the questions
around how the 64-bit versions work.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64