Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > pdf vs xps

pdf vs xps

LAH

Ok, I've decided to go with paperless billing, but I'm wanting to copy and
save the online billing to a file on my computer. I can use adobe (pdf) or
Microsoft XPS Document Writer ( WPS) I've experimented with both, and on
the surface there doesn't appear to be much difference. Does anyone have
any recommendations or advice?
Thanks

LAH

Oops, should have read XPS not WPS. Sorry for the error.

"LAH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok, I've decided to go with paperless billing, but I'm wanting to copy and
> save the online billing to a file on my computer. I can use adobe (pdf)
> or Microsoft XPS Document Writer ( WPS) I've experimented with both, and
> on the surface there doesn't appear to be much difference. Does anyone
> have any recommendations or advice?
> Thanks

Evan Platt

PDF's a pretty set standard. Almost everyone has it or can get it.

On Wed, 3 Oct 2007 15:06:47 -0500, "LAH" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Ok, I've decided to go with paperless billing, but I'm wanting to copy and
>save the online billing to a file on my computer. I can use adobe (pdf) or
>Microsoft XPS Document Writer ( WPS) I've experimented with both, and on
>the surface there doesn't appear to be much difference. Does anyone have
>any recommendations or advice?
>Thanks

Whiskers

On 2007-10-03, LAH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Ok, I've decided to go with paperless billing, but I'm wanting to copy and
> save the online billing to a file on my computer. I can use adobe (pdf) or
> Microsoft XPS Document Writer ( WPS) I've experimented with both, and on
> the surface there doesn't appear to be much difference. Does anyone have
> any recommendations or advice?
> Thanks

If the only person who needs access to the billing documents is you, and
you have software to read Microsoft's proprietary XPS files, then perhaps
it makes no difference. If you have customers or others who need to be
able to read and print the billing information, then you should use a
non-proprietary file format such as 'Portable Document Format' for which
there are a variety of freely-available 'readers' for use on all popular
current operating systems.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

sittingduck

LAH wrote:

> Ok, I've decided to go with paperless billing, but I'm wanting to copy
> and save the online billing to a file on my computer. I can use adobe
> (pdf) or Microsoft XPS Document Writer ( WPS) I've experimented with
> both, and on the surface there doesn't appear to be much difference.
> Does anyone have any recommendations or advice?
> Thanks

PDF will be a lot less of a PITA. Even total incompetents can figure out POS
Adobe Reader. People more savvy will use something like Foxit Reader.

--
http://improve-usenet.org

LAH

Guess the verdict is in. I'll go with the pdf format. What you folks
posted makes good sense. Thanks for the advice.

"LAH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok, I've decided to go with paperless billing, but I'm wanting to copy and
> save the online billing to a file on my computer. I can use adobe (pdf)
> or Microsoft XPS Document Writer ( WPS) I've experimented with both, and
> on the surface there doesn't appear to be much difference. Does anyone
> have any recommendations or advice?
> Thanks

Mitch

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, LAH
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Ok, I've decided to go with paperless billing, but I'm wanting to copy and
> save the online billing to a file on my computer. I can use adobe (pdf) or
> Microsoft XPS Document Writer ( WPS) I've experimented with both, and on
> the surface there doesn't appear to be much difference. Does anyone have
> any recommendations or advice?
> Thanks

Are you kidding?
Avoid Microsoft solutions AT ALL COST!

You should NEVER volunteer to work with a Microsoft-proprietary format.
That is what many people are struggling with today -- even many who
insist there is no other choice.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

LAH wrote:

> Ok, I've decided to go with paperless billing, but I'm wanting to copy
> and save the online billing to a file on my computer.

There is a question at this point.

How is the 'online billing' accomplished? Are you emailing an invoice
to the customers? If so, PDF is good, and you can save a copy.

However, billing records are normally stored in a *database*.

I would generate a PDF to email, then put the record in a table(s) in my
database. Depending on the amount of your billing, storing hundreds or
thousands of PDFs will become unwieldy soon.

> I can use adobe (pdf) or Microsoft XPS Document Writer ( WPS) I've
> experimented with both, and on the surface there doesn't appear to be
> much difference. Does anyone have any recommendations or advice?
> Thanks

What is your knowledge of databases?

--
-bts

Christopher Jahn

"LAH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I can use adobe (pdf) or Microsoft XPS Document Writer ( WPS)
> [snip]
> Does anyone have any recommendations or advice?

Let's see, you can use the international standard for document
sharing that everyone on the planet can read(pdf). or you can use
some kludge that only people using the latest Micro$oft software
can open.

Does this clarify things for you?

--
} Christopher Jahn
{ http://soflatheatre.blogspot.com/

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains,
however improbable, must be the truth. (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle)

VanguardLH

"Christopher Jahn" wrote in message

> "LAH" wrote :
>>
>> I can use adobe (pdf) or Microsoft XPS Document Writer ( WPS)
>> [snip]
>> Does anyone have any recommendations or advice?

> Let's see, you can use the international standard for document
> sharing that everyone on the planet can read(pdf). or you can use
> some kludge that only people using the latest Micro$oft software
> can open.

If PDF was the open standard that Adobe claims, why did they threaten
Microsoft with a lawsuit if they provided support for PDF in Office
2007? Because no one else that used PDF (other than Adobe) was a
threat to Adobe's revenue. PDF is officially an ISO document standard
but Adobe doesn't see it that way. Microsoft wanted to put PDF
support in Office 2007. With Adobe's threats, Microsoft decided to
come up with their own XPS document standard. So go bitch about XPS
to Adobe. If it weren't for Adobe's threat, Microsoft would've gone
with PDF.

http://www.google.com/search?q=%2Bad...PDF+%2Blawsuit