Velocity Reviews > General Discussion > Front Page News > Mid-Range CPU Guide

Mid-Range CPU Guide

Ian Ian is offline
Administrator
Ian's Avatar

Anandtech have an excellent guide on selecting the right midrange CPU for your PC based on both benchmarks and overclocking ability (if you are willing):

Quote:
AMD and Intel are unbelievably close when it comes to mainstream CPU performance - far closer than we expected. There are a couple of exceptions, however. DivX encoding in particular is extremely strong on Intel CPUs where AMD just can't compete these days.

If you're choosing between the Athlon 64 X2 5000+ and 4800+ definitely go for the latter. The performance difference is so small that we don't even understand why AMD has both speed grades. At the 2.5GHz+ clock speeds we're talking about, 100MHz differences don't amount to a significant enough performance difference to justify any increase in cost.
Read the article here.

Last edited by Ian; 10-03-2007 at 08:08 PM..